OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try cutting up the clam into tiny pieces, mix in some mysis , smear it on a rock pushing it into the crevices, put the rock in the freezer to set up then put it back in the tank. That's how I get picky butterflies to eat. My CBB also goes crazy for live black worms. Good luck.
I may give that a try with the rock in the freezer!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to avoid ordering but I think I’m stuck now. How are they supplied and how long do they stay alive?
I think i got the 1/4 lb for $35. The say refrigerate but mine lasted for a couple months in a 10 gallon in a little cold fresh water with an airstone. I fed spirulina to the worms, changed water every couple days. Pretty easy, but they do smell awful and you'll want to rinse them. I fed cbb until they were gone and it fattened him up. Mine was immediately attracted to the worms while refusing frozen mysis, brine, bloodworms, butterfly/angel mix and live or shredded clams for the first few days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i got the 1/4 lb for $35. The say refrigerate but mine lasted for a couple months in a 10 gallon in a little cold fresh water with an airstone. I fed spirulina to the worms, changed water every couple days. Pretty easy, but they do smell awful and you'll want to rinse them. I fed cbb until they were gone and it fattened him up. Mine was immediately attracted to the worms while refusing frozen mysis, brine, bloodworms, butterfly/angel mix and live or shredded clams for the first few days.
Did yours eventually convert to frozen?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not have to use worms. Mine eat frozen right away. I asked the LFS to feed her and she was eating aggressively at the LFS. I guess I got it easy this time.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, two and a half weeks and my CBB finally perished. Never ate, never really picked either. I was in contact with Dr. Reef every few days and he issued me a store credit. I don’t know that I have the stomach to try again. Any other fish suggestions for my store credit?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg
IMG_1997.jpeg
IMG_1996.jpeg
I am sorry about your CBB
My small female is doing well. Last Friday I got a larger male from Austin Aqua-Dome. He is doing well I got him into the tank at 3AM on Saturday. I was too tired to set up isolation. I told myself to separate them if Sat AM I see any fighting. No significant fighting so I just leave them together. He is not eating well yet but takes a few bites and picking at the rock and sand.
I hope he will start eating well soon.
I am very confident in able to sex CBB in person at this time. It actually very easy to pair CBB
Better luck next time.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, two and a half weeks and my CBB finally perished. Never ate, never really picked either. I was in contact with Dr. Reef every few days and he issued me a store credit. I don’t know that I have the stomach to try again. Any other fish suggestions for my store credit?
Sorry to hear that. I’m in the same boat with my dream fish… a blonde nasso. I’ve tried to qt one that looked fantastic and half way through it perished. Then I tried to buy one through a reputable qt guy and he has lost two in a row. I just don’t think I want to keep trying.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1999.jpeg
IMG_1998.jpeg
IMG_1997.jpeg
IMG_1996.jpeg
I am sorry about your CBB
My small female is doing well. Last Friday I got a larger male from Austin Aqua-Dome. He is doing well I got him into the tank at 3AM on Saturday. I was too tired to set up isolation. I told myself to separate them if Sat AM I see any fighting. No significant fighting so I just leave them together. He is not eating well yet but takes a few bites and picking at the rock and sand.
I hope he will start eating well soon.
I am very confident in able to sex CBB in person at this time. It actually very easy to pair CBB
Better luck next time.
How can you sex them? I have one but have no idea if it’s male or female

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I’m in the same boat with my dream fish… a blonde nasso. I’ve tried to qt one that looked fantastic and half way through it perished. Then I tried to buy one through a reputable qt guy and he has lost two in a row. I just don’t think I want to keep trying.
Disheartening to say the least. But, at least I can say that I tried every tip, trick and food that has been known to work. So it’s just luck of the draw. I hear the long nose butterfly’s are easier to get eating. So I’m thinking of giving them a try!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can you sex them? I have one but have no idea if it’s male or female
Please this thread on my adventures trying to get a pair of CBB.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disheartening to say the least. But, at least I can say that I tried every tip, trick and food that has been known to work. So it’s just luck of the draw. I hear the long nose butterfly’s are easier to get eating. So I’m thinking of giving them a try!
Did you ever try live worms?

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did, found someone local who had some. Still no interest.
Thats too bad. I have both cbb and yellow longnose. My cbb had been in the lfs for a while. I bought it during covid when no one was going anywhere. Probably a fish best seen before buying. I ordered the yellow online from liveaqauria. It ate frozen mysis immediately. It was a replacement for one they sent that had a giant lympho chunk like i never saw before on arrival. That one ate immediately too and the lympho disappeared in a month and I rehomed it since I had two. Very friendly fish and mine shoots water at you when its time to eat.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats too bad. I have both cbb and yellow longnose. My cbb had been in the lfs for a while. I bought it during covid when no one was going anywhere. Probably a fish best seen before buying. I ordered the yellow online from liveaqauria. It ate frozen mysis immediately. It was a replacement for one they sent that had a giant lympho chunk like i never saw before on arrival. That one ate immediately too and the lympho disappeared in a month and I rehomed it since I had two. Very friendly fish and mine shoots water at you when its time to eat.
Good to hear! I do think that’s what I’m going to do with the credit I got back from Dr. Reef.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back