Talk me in/out copperband addition.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pro/ con to the long nose va the CB?
Just easier to get one to eat. Also my longnose will squirt water out his mouth at me at feeding time which is kind of funny to watch. Both have become very bold eaters once feeding. The longnose is so bold it will swim into a container for food so is the easiest fish I have to catch. Mine have both been reef safe but I read the longnose is more risky. Honestly I'm done with tangs fighting. After owning cbb and longnose I'm a butterfly guy now. They may appear shy but can defend like a boss with that top fin. The yellow goes upside down over the aggressor and bares that sharp fin and the other fish FAFO.

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a copperband a while back and it is definitely a favorite!! I bought mine from Tank Stop and did my own quarantine. Not gonna lie, it was stressful as the cbb was always “hunting” in the qt tank but I just couldn’t get it to eat. I tried frozen, pellets, live baby brine, fresh little neck clams, and mastic. Frozen blood worms worked some.

I do httm qt so my timeframe in the qt tank was only 2 weeks and I decided to place it into an acclimation box in the display tank. After a full day or two I released it because I figured it might eat in the tank since I hadn’t seen it do so very much.

I have a purple tang, two spot tang and a foxface along with other peaceful little fish… the purple tang was a complete jerk for a solid week even with a mirror on the tank, but little by little things calmed down and now they do their own things side by side and pay no attention to each other.

The cbb went straight to work hunting the rocks and didn’t take long to be right in the feeding frenzy at meal time. Frozen angelfish/butterfly food or frozen bloodworms are fed daily along with frozen mysis or brine and rods original. Also after two weeks in the tank my aiptaisa problem just 100% disappeared!

I’d try it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So here we are at a crossroads. I’m debating of adding a CBB to my current setup. Current tank is 48”x20”x20”. By October the tank will be upgraded to either an SCA 150 60” or an IM 200 72”.
Current stock
Clown pair
Adorned wrasse
Carpenters wrasse
One spot foxface
Scopas tang.

Scopas is about 3”. One spot about the same size. No aggression in the tank.

Would the addition of the CBB to the current mix be warranted at this point with the already budgeted for upgrade?

Would be purchasing from Dr. reef and requesting one on the smaller side.

I am also not dead set on purchasing one for the current setup and am willing to wait. Wanted to hear pros and cons from those with experience.
My CBB is a model citizen, eats well and bothers nothing

1709262465451.png

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe I’m going to give it a go! I believe I’ll start with a wide variety of food option gathering before I place an order. Hopefully one from dr. Reef may give me a leg up trying to get one to eat.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help me come up with a list of food items please
Frozen brine, mysis, blood worms, angel/butterfly food
Love black and or white worms
Anything else to add?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else to add?
Not sure if you have a sump but if so, one trick I’ve seen done on YouTube by Viking reefing, is to swap a rock out from sump to display every few weeks. He has multiple angel fish and the rock in the sump grows sponges and whatever on it. So every few weeks there is a new rock to peck at.

Here is the stuff I use along with mysis and brine
71236863753__EB77F1E9-ACF4-485E-926D-04E82C817002.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do believe I’m going to give it a go! I believe I’ll start with a wide variety of food option gathering before I place an order. Hopefully one from dr. Reef may give me a leg up trying to get one to eat.
My trigger food was LRS Herbivore diet but it should also take to plankton, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, Hikari clam on the half shell and Hikari angel and Butterly formula

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I have some luck with cbb. First one had 5 months died when skimmer stopped working and I found out too late . 2nd one I got like $40 from nyaquatic. Threw in the tank eating everything. One year later still doing well and fat . He will fight with tangs for food at feeding time . Never had issues with feeding . Only problem is he ate all my meat corals and bowerbankies .

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else to add?
Mine eats Trader Joes frozen seafood mix (shrimp,calamari, scallops) live clams and mussels occasionally, frozen mysis. Doesn't care for angel/butterfly mix. Loves worms and aiptasia.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything else to add?
If it's only eating live foods at first adding Selcon to live brine shrimp will give it more fatty acids and useful calories to sustain it.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to start accumulating food today and have things set before I place the order.

Any other idiosyncrasies with the CBB, besides eating, that y’all can think of?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My five year old cbb eats everything on your list. He especially loves live black worms. If you cannot get them locally, go to Ebay. There are several sellers.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hope. But I’m preparing for worst case scenario that if the shipping stress is making it super picky I want to be prepared.
Best to be prepared, for sure.

I would be mad if the fish went more than a day without eating, since I paid for a QTd fish. Also, let the vender know if it doesn't.

I've always wanted a copperband too. I almost took one home from a store a long time ago. They had a big, healthy looking specimen. I asked if it was eating. LFS guy said "I don't bring them out of the back room until they do." We tried feeding it, and whadaya know, it didn't eat, so I passed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back