Talk me in/out copperband addition.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I’m better to place the new CBB in an acclimation box that’s 12”x6” or to release straight into the tank?
I had mine in an acclimation box for a couple of days and released it early because it was not eating inside of it. The purple tang was a jerk for at least a week but i felt it was better seeing it eat at feeding time

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think I’m better to place the new CBB in an acclimation box that’s 12”x6” or to release straight into the tank?
100% acclimation box. Also of note- they will have a heavy impact on pods so be mindful if you have a mandarin or the like.

I’d wager it’ll recognize masstick being how quick mine took to it from the same place.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would qt in another tank if it were me and get it eating. Doubt it will eat in that confined space but better than just putting it in.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would bet them acclimated in a QT system or sump. They won’t eat in a bare box.

Fresh off failing with a pair of CBB, I think they were poisoned with copper treatment, I got a small female CBB in my QT system. This one is doing very well, eating well and pecking at the rock and Sand all day long. She even able to catch amphipods and eat them. She bothers and pecks at the antennas of my Stomatella snails too. Decimated my feather duster in my QT system.
I think I got one to live. She is only about 1/2 dollar size.
IMG_1573.jpeg
IMG_1565.jpeg
IMG_1563.jpeg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 25 lagoon that has been running fallow for about 6 months. Nothing in it but snails and pods. Debating on placing the CBB in there. I can drop the salinity to match what Dr. reef sends his fish in and slowly increase it to match my display.
If I go that route I’m wondering if it would go in hunger strike when I transfer it to my acclimation box in the display.
I can see both sides.
1. Place by itself in a small tank and make sure it’s eating and maybe get used to my feeder.
Vs trying to get it eating in a larger system with competition. And whole new environments.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a small system, I would use it first. See if you can seeded it with a bunch of worms, small bristle worms and spaghetti worms and the like. CBB loves these worms. I fail on my pair because I leave it at the LFS too long in the toxic copper system. If I got as soon as they come to the store they would do much better.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a 25 lagoon that has been running fallow for about 6 months. Nothing in it but snails and pods. Debating on placing the CBB in there. I can drop the salinity to match what Dr. reef sends his fish in and slowly increase it to match my display.
If I go that route I’m wondering if it would go in hunger strike when I transfer it to my acclimation box in the display.
I can see both sides.
1. Place by itself in a small tank and make sure it’s eating and maybe get used to my feeder.
Vs trying to get it eating in a larger system with competition. And whole new environments.
I'd put it in the lagoon and get it eating well there alone. Then just skip the acclimation box unless you have specific tangs you are worried about . Mine once eating well and happy had no trouble competing for food and after qt would probably have eaten even in the box.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My CBB is a good eater. She aggressively competed with my small Convict tang when I dump mysis into the tank. I counted this morning and she after 22 of the Mysis without spitting out even one.
Picture of a full CBB vs the same with empty stomach

Full
IMG_1615.jpeg

Empty
IMG_1619.jpeg

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted a CBB, but i will never get one.
Everyone i know personally has killed them.
Most of the people on the forums i read about has killed them, with the exception of a few unicorns samples which seem to acclimate perfectly.
(something that probably never will happen to me, or i already used up getting lucky with my Anthias acclimating very nicely.)

But yeah, i am jealous to those of you who can keep them alive.
But i already know i'll be playing a grim reaper should i ever get one, hence why i won't, as i hate being at fault for a fish dying, even tho its not my fault for them starving to death.

So i put them on almost the same level as the Moorish Idol... something i'll go WOW, and get jealous at if someone else has them, and can keep them alive, but i will never buy one.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 lagoon all cleaned up from running neglected for several months. Crawling with pods because there is nothing to take them out. Large water change done. Dr. Reef says they ship fish at 1.021-1.023. Lagoon is measuring at 1.022 after the big water change. I don’t know what else I could do to prepare for the arrival Thursday! Will be picking up at the hub instead of having it ride in a truck all day long.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best if luck. Sounds like a lot of people had luck with multiple foods. I have had my cbb since 2021 of september. Was probably an 1 1/2 when I got him. Now hes around 5.
Took mine 8 days before he'd eat frozen. I never sourced live worms.
He pretty much cleaned the rocks of all visable pods, feather dusters, and ball anemones. Once the rocks were clean.... He decided to sample foxface poo and went to frozen.

Best of fortunes, may yours be healthy!
20240315_140808.jpg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best if luck. Sounds like a lot of people had luck with multiple foods. I have had my cbb since 2021 of september. Was probably an 1 1/2 when I got him. Now hes around 5.
Took mine 8 days before he'd eat frozen. I never sourced live worms.
He pretty much cleaned the rocks of all visable pods, feather dusters, and ball anemones. Once the rocks were clean.... He decided to sample foxface poo and went to frozen.

Best of fortunes, may yours be healthy!
20240315_140808.jpg
I sure hope so, have 6 different types of frozen. Two different types of mysis included, masstick, an in tank feeder to hold frozen cubes and a brine shrimp hatchery. Tried it out the other day and can hatch about every 24-36 hours. Will be in the tank all alone for as long as it takes.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sure hope so, have 6 different types of frozen. Two different types of mysis included, masstick, an in tank feeder to hold frozen cubes and a brine shrimp hatchery. Tried it out the other day and can hatch about every 24-36 hours. Will be in the tank all alone for as long as it takes.
Not sure how well they do alone. Mine instintly befriended my fox and scopas. The 3 hung out all the time.
I just don't like keeping reef fish alone. But that's me.
They still hang out. Except for now my tangs are being held elsewere temporarily.
20240321_152919.jpg

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how well they do alone. Mine instintly befriended my fox and scopas. The 3 hung out all the time.
I just don't like keeping reef fish alone. But that's me.
They still hang out. Except for now my tangs are being held elsewere temporarily.
20240321_152919.jpg
Being alone is just temporary to settle from shipping and hopefully get acclimated for food. I’m hoping for less than a week.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being alone is just temporary to settle from shipping and hopefully get acclimated for food. I’m hoping for less than a week.
Mine was in qt alone 90 days. No problem and was able to be hand fed after. Let me tell you when they do eat they are voracious. Sounds like you have lots of variety. Best of luck. Eastern aquatics has black worms fyi if nothing works.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted a CBB, but i will never get one.
Everyone i know personally has killed them.
Most of the people on the forums i read about has killed them, with the exception of a few unicorns samples which seem to acclimate perfectly.
(something that probably never will happen to me, or i already used up getting lucky with my Anthias acclimating very nicely.)

But yeah, i am jealous to those of you who can keep them alive.
But i already know i'll be playing a grim reaper should i ever get one, hence why i won't, as i hate being at fault for a fish dying, even tho its not my fault for them starving to death.

So i put them on almost the same level as the Moorish Idol... something i'll go WOW, and get jealous at if someone else has them, and can keep them alive, but i will never buy one.
I was in the same position you are, and wouldn't get another CBB after striking out with one that never would identify any type of food in the water column. Then one day while at the LFS, I noticed that they had a nice one and mentioned it on the way out. They indicated that it was eating frozen mysis "like a champ", so I had them prove it, which they did. I purchased it and it's still thriving in my DT now, 9 months later.

So, as I've found my CBB to be my favorite fish (lots of personality), I would definitely recommend that if you've desired a CBB, don't give up on it happening. Just keep an 'eye out' at the LFS for a healthy one that is eagerly eating frozen food out of the water column. As long as you can commit to providing it a frozen food diet, the odds are good that it will survive & thrive!

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in the same position you are, and wouldn't get another CBB after striking out with one that never would identify any type of food in the water column. Then one day while at the LFS, I noticed that they had a nice one and mentioned it on the way out. They indicated that it was eating frozen mysis "like a champ", so I had them prove it, which they did. I purchased it and it's still thriving in my DT now, 9 months later.

So, as I've found my CBB to be my favorite fish (lots of personality), I would definitely recommend that if you've desired a CBB, don't give up on it happening. Just keep an 'eye out' at the LFS for a healthy one that is eagerly eating frozen food out of the water column. As long as you can commit to providing it a frozen food diet, the odds are good that it will survive & thrive!
This has been a long time in the making. The problem is that we don’t have a LFS around besides petco. I became friends with the manager and he would call me when what I wanted came in so I could pick it up before the bagged them. He no longer works there and the quality has bombed! So my best bet is to order from a reputable dealer. I’m hoping for good luck come this Thursday.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back