Talk me in/out copperband addition.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after the struggle with the copperband a while ago. I decided to go with the long nose butterfly. Dr. Reef was happy to oblige. Received the new specimen today. The long nose has been hunting on the rocks in my spare tank. Maybe pecked a little mysis and brine. Has been in the tank for about 4 hours as of now. Looks larger than I expected. Will keep this thread updated so hopefully others can use it as a learning tool!
IMG_1329.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg
Thanks for the update and I sure hope you have great success with this butterfly!

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose is still eating incredibly well. I think my next step is to try and train it to use the printed reef butterfly feeder that I got for the copperband. If that’s successful then it’s time for the display!!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long nose is still eating incredibly well. I think my next step is to try and train it to use the printed reef butterfly feeder that I got for the copperband. If that’s successful then it’s time for the display!!
Great. Mine never needed any device. Its takes it straight from the cup if I don't pour it in fast enough. If it gets harassed in your display it will go upside down and point those spikes at the aggressor and the others learn real quick not to mess with it. Maybe you can find a nice cbb later at an lfs. Really a fish you want to see IMO.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought on the feeder is that, if the long nose gets used to it and eventually get a CBB the new addition may have some help on the feeding front.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep CBB, a few over the last 44 years. My CBB never have problem with getting enough to eat, no special feeder. They do have first crack at the clams. As the frozen clam shells open, the CBB would get his share before the rest of the fish move in and finish it off.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed the LN in the display last night after lights out. Put two mirrors to keep everything else occupied. LN is out swimming like a champ. Shows it’s spines to my cherub when it’s being a jerk but the LN ate ferociously first thing this morning!!

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed the LN in the display last night after lights out. Put two mirrors to keep everything else occupied. LN is out swimming like a champ. Shows it’s spines to my cherub when it’s being a jerk but the LN ate ferociously first thing this morning!!
Awesome. I love that mine has never hidden behind liverock. Always out even when I'm cleaning the glass. Don't know why it took me so long to discover how cool this fish is. For me butterflies have been the most friendly and least skittish fish I have had. Tangs, angels, others duck and hide but my butterflies are always begging.

Back