Talk me into it

Singletrackjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up this tank and I am not sure if I trust it to be perfectly honest.
The seller said it was used as a reptile enclosure when he bought it.
It is made of ½ inch glass 72 long 24 tall 16 wide rimless.
I am not certain that it was professionally built (quality of assembly) but it has held water for 3 days with zero leaks.
I have never owned a rimless tank before and am a little concerned about 3/16' bowing of each long pane of glass.
Is this normal? Should I build a frame with support for the middle to take that concern away?

It's good to be here,
Thanks for the input!

Tim

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very cool size tank, while im not a tank builder I would think you would at least need one support brace, if not two. Any bowing in glass is bad and will put a lot of strain on it and the seems

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a tank builder here either. The phrase reptile enclosure is what worries me.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 72" rimless tank without a brace prob isnt an aquarium, but a terrarium (which I would not trust, at least until you add some euro bracing). Pics?

OP
OP
Singletrackjack

Singletrackjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same about the braces de-dragon.
The phrase Reptile enclosure was thrown at me because the guy who owned it before the seller had used it as one, that doesn't mean it was built as one.
I hope it wasn't at least. I have mentioned my concern to my wife and now she is not digging the idea. I am not sure I could live with the guilt of having reservations and then setting it up only to have it fail and flooding my basement lol

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 6' tank, I would need 1/2" glass all around and euro-bracing to be comfortable if there are no cross braces.

OP
OP
Singletrackjack

Singletrackjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ½ glass and when full to the top it went from 16'' exactly to 16 ⅜''
So 3/16 for each pane of glass.
I made a brace out of a clamp when it was at 16 then loosened it slowly to get to ⅜.
I am considering the Euro bracing but would hate to do it and have it fail anyway... see what I mean about talking me into it?? LOL
I am my worst enemy.
I do have another 48'' 30'' 18'' that I know is good with a rim top and bottom but I really like the length of this one for the location I want it to go.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same about the braces de-dragon.
The phrase Reptile enclosure was thrown at me because the guy who owned it before the seller had used it as one, that doesn't mean it was built as one.
I hope it wasn't at least. I have mentioned my concern to my wife and now she is not digging the idea. I am not sure I could live with the guilt of having reservations and then setting it up only to have it fail and flooding my basement lol
Well the fact that its 1/2 glass is very good, if the silicone job is quality then have a glass store cut some custom 1/2 strips for you and attach them to the top and you should be set...

OP
OP
Singletrackjack

Singletrackjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going this route Oregon, gonna see what it will cost for a couple Euro braces being made up.
would you suggest ½ or 10mm or ?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest bracing it. Wouldn't be too difficult to DIY.

I would also suggest after bracing it, put it somewhere leaks wouldn't matter, fitt it up and leave it sit for a few weeks, just to see if it holds.

OP
OP
Singletrackjack

Singletrackjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well throw up the same thickness on top as is on the sides. More contact space for the silicone=more support.
Doesn't the brace go on top or can it go on the inside?
Iv'e only seen them on the top that I recall... I am old and getting back into this after a 20 year hiatus

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't the brace go on top or can it go on the inside?
Iv'e only seen them on the top that I recall... I am old and getting back into this after a 20 year hiatus
It does go on top. You'll want to silicone anywhere glass touches, including bracing touching bracing.

Like so.
20210316_215652.jpg
20210316_215645.jpg

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is ½ glass and when full to the top it went from 16'' exactly to 16 ⅜''
So 3/16 for each pane of glass.
I made a brace out of a clamp when it was at 16 then loosened it slowly to get to ⅜.
I am considering the Euro bracing but would hate to do it and have it fail anyway... see what I mean about talking me into it?? LOL
I am my worst enemy.
I do have another 48'' 30'' 18'' that I know is good with a rim top and bottom but I really like the length of this one for the location I want it to go.
I'm sure it's an aquarium who would use 1/2 glass for a reptile enclosure seems way over kill not only that but adds a ton of weight

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrariums are sold much cheaper than aquariums. They don't require the same construction. Given that it was bowing I wouldn't trust it.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrariums are sold much cheaper than aquariums. They don't require the same construction. Given that it was bowing I wouldn't trust it.
Ya they wouldn't use 1/2 glass probably 1/4 that and most terrariums have doors in the front dead giveaway

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 55.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back