The 5 foot build… It’s happening!!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ps, my emp would grunt at me when i walked by and didnt offer food.

20210510_105717.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps, my emp would grunt at me when i walked by and didnt offer food.

20210510_105717.jpg
How big was your tank? Many of the emps I’ve seen appear to be slow and graceful swimmers - in fact, I’ve yet to see an angel that is anywhere near a tang with swimming pace.

My LFS has a ~1” emp so I may come home with her this weekend depending how I feel.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big was your tank? Many of the emps I’ve seen appear to be slow and graceful swimmers - in fact, I’ve yet to see an angel that is anywhere near a tang with swimming pace.
5ft, 60"L ×18w" x24"tall.

Honestly, that emperor usually kept at the rocks when it wasnt feeding time. Slowly, graciously moving from rock to rock.

Feeding time... water fight!

Powder blue would just zoom from one end to the next. Really stressed me out.

Yuh, im tired of zoom fish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5ft, 60"L ×18w" x24"tall.

Honestly, that emperor usually kept at the rocks when it wasnt feeding time. Slowly, graciously moving from rock to rock.

Feeding time... water fight!

Powder blue would just zoom from one end to the next. Really stressed me out.

Yuh, im tired of zoom fish.
I’ve got the advantage of 5’x27”x26” or similar (it’s definitely just over 2 feet in height and width but I can never remember how much bigger).

He sounds like how my majestic behaves in the tank currently. I think if I go emperor, I’ll have 3 large angels with a Foxface as my display fish. So then it’s not got the appearance of overcrowding. Obviously then for the more “hyper” activity I’ll have the wrasses.

The thing putting me off an Achilles is simply the zooming they do. If they were more relaxed like angels I’d happily have one.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The thing putting me off an Achilles is simply the zooming they do. If they were more relaxed like angels I’d happily have one.
Achillies, beautiful fish. But, zooms make my heart race. Getting my angelfish i currently have, has calmed my nerves by a ton. Wrasse do wrasse things. They're more entertaining to watch. Even if it is a sand storm.

You have much better width. Grow xenia in a sump if you can as treats for the emperor (if you get her). I have had a lot of fish types. If you're prone to getting emotionally attached, you will with the emp. I don't think they stray far when it comes to personality.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achillies, beautiful fish. But, zooms make my heart race. Getting my angelfish i currently have, has calmed my nerves by a ton. Wrasse do wrasse things. They're more entertaining to watch. Even if it is a sand storm.

You have much better width. Grow xenia in a sump if you can as treats for the emperor (if you get her). I have had a lot of fish types. If you're prone to getting emotionally attached, you will with the emp. I don't think they stray far when it comes to personality.
I’ve seen a fairly large (6-7”) emperor in full adult colours and he was gorgeous. I’m hoping I can have one like that for at least 1-2 years if not 4-5 before they get too big. Emotional attachment is harder for me but the ones I do get attached to tend to be my dream fish.

Xenia wise, I’ll have a refugium I can grow bits in as treats if I go for her. I’m hoping they don’t munch mushrooms though.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve seen a fairly large (6-7”) emperor in full adult colours and he was gorgeous. I’m hoping I can have one like that for at least 1-2 years if not 4-5 before they get too big. Emotional attachment is harder for me but the ones I do get attached to tend to be my dream fish.

Xenia wise, I’ll have a refugium I can grow bits in as treats if I go for her. I’m hoping they don’t munch mushrooms though.
Something about shrooms angels just dont like. I had yuma mushrooms, hammers, torch coral, goniopra with mine.

I mean, if you get an angel that likes shrooms, you ended up with the odd ball of the bunch.

I'm sure you’ll get a nice 5 years with current tank size.

I've had my acanthurus lineatus for 3 yrs? I could keep her for probably another 2 at current growth rate and behavior.

I honestly think you'll get many years.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something about shrooms angels just dont like. I had yuma mushrooms, hammers, torch coral, goniopra with mine.

I mean, if you get an angel that likes shrooms, you ended up with the odd ball of the bunch.

I'm sure you’ll get a nice 5 years with current tank size.

I've had my acanthurus lineatus for 3 yrs? I could keep her for probably another 2 at current growth rate and behavior.

I honestly think you'll get many years.
It seems Hammers, Gonis, Torches all have potent stings that corallivores hate. And some softies have some form of toxin or taste that causes them to be ignored.

I guess this weekend we’ll see what I come home with. And tomorrow I may come home with some nice wrasses too :)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubricaudalis?
Yep! A pair of rubricaudalis and a weird pencil that looks like a severnsi but I don’t believe it is.

After a bit of looking into it I believe I’ve managed a washed out edwardi!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go!
I usually wait before releasing photos but these are too exciting to not show off!
IMG_9982.jpeg

IMG_9980.jpeg

That Edwardi is the most exciting and I’m looking forward to him colouring up.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They went in and as expected, my carpenter’s won’t submit to the rubricaudalis so they’re having a fun time of displaying with one another. Nothing aggressive or worrying, it’s just that fins up displaying. The female I believe went down into the rocks to sleep which is what I expected the male to do as well.
IMG_9989.jpeg

And the Pencil went in unphased! Ate straight away and the Jade didn’t care at all. I think he’s in the sand now but he’s one strong fish!
IMG_9984.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone wondering how the hammer collection is looking, I’ve never seen so many hammers this happily extended!
IMG_9995.jpeg

It’s weird, everyone I’ve talked to either had torches thriving and hammers are just happy or hammers thriving and torches are just happy. I’ve somehow got a thriving torch and thriving hammers! I wish I could say what I was doing so right but again, I dont. Maybe it’s the PAR?

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back