The Angel Lovers Thread

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Angel tank... Goldflake, Regal, Venustus, and Multibar with a bunch of cardinals and chromis'.
1701380023713.jpeg

1701380058586.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Angel tank... Goldflake, Regal, Venustus, and Multibar with a bunch of cardinals and chromis'.
1701380023713.jpeg

1701380058586.jpeg
What are the dimensions of that tank? It looks quite large, surely it’s a 3-4’ cube at least?

Maoiwowie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of that tank? It looks quite large, surely it’s a 3-4’ cube at least?
Thanks everyone for appreciating the tank. No, this tank is a 30x30. The large angels are maybe 3" and were bought as juveniles. The GF grows faster than the Regal; while the Multibar doesnt seem to grow at all. The GF and Regal will get ticked off and eat the sps if i miss a feeding. The damage is usually on the undersides and look like small chunks taken out as bite marks. But healthy sps are quite resilient and recover quickly. I used to panic and considered removing them, but now accept it as part of the balance in my reef. The biggest downside is i have very little polyp extension, but growth is still out of control. I actually ordered a new 210g out of Glasscages as i do anticipate the large angels outgrowing this tank next year sometime.

Last edited:

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Hi guys, this is Kent formerly known as @HankstankXXL750. Unfortunately we lost all our angels in our 3XL900 trying to treat for Ich many months ago. Tank has been fallow now for over 14 weeks. Has a lot of life in it Amphipods, copepods, isopods etc. I have ghost fed but not probably consistently enough to have the full bio filter so I am hesitant to add too many fish at once, but also would like to introduce all of the angels at once to negate aggression.

We have a Queen, French, Blue Face, and recently an Annularis. My question is, could I add the Queen and the French now, and wait 2-3 weeks to add the other two, hoping that by adding two at a time, any aggression or territorial disputes would be spread out and this lessened.

Thanks for any insight.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think what do you think? Would adding two at a time balance pretty good?
That should work, I’d personally aim for 2 then adding 3 or add 3 then add the last one but make it so it’s the smallest one added.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
That should work, I’d personally aim for 2 then adding 3 or add 3 then add the last one but make it so it’s the smallest one added.
Why add smallest last? I would think largest?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why add smallest last? I would think largest?
Ive always gone for the smallest last as they tend to be ignored whilst if you’re adding larger specimens, they seem to get more attention. Especially if you have somewhat more boisterous species in there currently.

When I added my majestic I went for one that was considerably smaller than my regal and there was no aggressive tendencies behind the regal other than maybe a small push here and there. Whilst when I added my Coral Beauty, he was the same size as my regal was and there was definitely some pushing around going on between the two - it has now settled with the Regal being boss.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Just my two cents having a queen I would add that in the 2nd pair. They are much more aggressive at least mine is lol.
I know they are all different, but the ones I lost were fairly large Queen and French and had a juvenile Emperor and Koran and a Xanthrus. Queen and Grench hung like buds, and none ever chased the other more than just a he watch out. But I added all 5 at once, but dealt with insufficient cycle so really had to dose stability and water changes for a few days. That being said I had cycled the tank with ammonia and had it going from 2.0-0 overnight, but it was new. Tank is now over a year old, but most of that fallow as we tried to add fish again and ich came back in three weeks after a 60-70 day fallow.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ive always gone for the smallest last as they tend to be ignored whilst if you’re adding larger specimens, they seem to get more attention. Especially if you have somewhat more boisterous species in there currently.

When I added my majestic I went for one that was considerably smaller than my regal and there was no aggressive tendencies behind the regal other than maybe a small push here and there. Whilst when I added my Coral Beauty, he was the same size as my regal was and there was definitely some pushing around going on between the two - it has now settled with the Regal being boss.
I guess that makes sense. I didn’t plan the Annularis, but my mother bought me a marbles cat shark to replace the one we lost, and they had the Annularis at a pretty good price so I added it to take advantage of shipping two at once.

The Annularis is the largest of them, maybe even bigger than the advertised. Beautiful thick bodies fish, but only been here two weeks and even though I don’t medicate my QT, I figure if they go 6-8 weeks without any spots, clean poo and eating I feel pretty safe. Maybe not. The fish that got ich after the fallow had been in another tank for at least a year, but it was a 160 a little overstocked so I thought I would help them out. Not good since they were my wife’s @Ocean_Queenie favorites.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallest fish go in first so that they can get comfortable. Keep in mind that the queen is most aggressive and can get to 15+ inches. I had one get to 10 inches and would beat on every fish in the tank all day long. The french get even larger. I have seen them in the Keys at 20+ inches.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallest fish go in first so that they can get comfortable. Keep in mind that the queen is most aggressive and can get to 15+ inches. I had one get to 10 inches and would beat on every fish in the tank all day long. The french get even larger. I have seen them in the Keys at 20+ inches.
This queen is roughly 6". We also decided it is the last fish going into this system. So far, no aggression from anyone besides some posturing from the sohal tang. Our maculosus is about 8" and our cream is about 4.5".

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back