*The Bernese Mountain Dog Build*

reefmania59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely appreciate the advice! I don't think there will be an issue, but since you brought up the possible issue, I'll probably add some extra bracing just in case.
I may be over cautious. I just think of the weight of a filled tank and what safeguards to help prevent future surprises. I hate mopping. [emoji1]

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update!

I went back and forth on the aquarium itself. As much as I would have loved a custom tank, I needed to be realistic with cost. My LFS ordered me a Marineland 180 with black silicone and without the overflows on Monday. Total charge was $689! There's a chance the tank will arrive on Friday, but it will most likely be next week.

I also ordered tons of items for the tank! I have a total of 11 packages coming from BRS tomorrow! I also have a few other things coming next week and am on the production list for my new sump!

I'm excited to get this thing going!

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing like 11 packages of reef goodness arriving!! I thought this build was going to move a little slower, but I've been thinking about it so much over the last 9 months, there wasn't a whole lot more thinking to do!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with quite a few plumbing pieces, I received my new return pump, overflow, rocks, and light fixture!

I was originally going to use a Jebao DC-12000 for this build as I've had good luck with the 6000 on my 75g, but at the last minute I bought a Vectra M1. I'm excited about this pump and feel like it will alleviate my concern of the Jebao randomly shutting down in a years time. Ecotech has always had amazing customer service when I've needed help so that has a lot to do with it too.

I went with the SynergyReef 16" overflow for this build. I had BAO build me a custom over flow for my 75G and it has been nothing but great! This time around, I felt like I was getting more with the Synergy overflow and went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread, what a nice start for you and your future wife:) can't wait to see it set up. Adorable puppy, love my doggies as much as I love my small reef. Speaking of small by the looks of those paws yours isn't going to be. :D

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice thread, what a nice start for you and your future wife:) can't wait to see it set up. Adorable puppy, love my doggies as much as I love my small reef. Speaking of small by the looks of those paws yours isn't going to be. :D

Thanks! We're both really excited for the new tank! I've been dreaming of a 6' tank for the last 4 years. The pup has been great! She won't be as big as our last dog, but will probably hit 100ish pounds.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used T5's on my last few tanks and have been very happy with them. My last tank had a combination of T5's and Kessil's and had a really cool look.

This time around.....I'm sticking with T5! I decided on the 60" 8 bulb ATI Sunpower. I may add some Kessil's or Reefbrites in the future, but I'm undecided on these so far.

I also went with Pukani rock again. I've used it on two different tanks now and have been really happy with it. I think it looks great, and for dry rock, you get a lot for your money. I'm starting with 100 pounds for now, and may add some of the rock from my 75G if I feel the need.

One thing I hate.....Packing Peanuts! It was expected, but these dang packing peanuts get everywhere! I haven't pulled the rock out of the bags yet, but it looks like BRS gave me a really nice assortment of pieces. I'm excited to come up with a scape for the new tank.

Last edited:

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build so far. What brand of aquarium are you using? Being from CoMo I assume you order all your livestock online or do you go to KC or STL? I was born and raised in CoMo and there was never a good place to buy saltwater fish. I noticed that there was a saltwater store on E. Broadway a couple years back but it closed before I was able to check it out.

Good luck on the build and marriage.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with quite a few plumbing pieces, I received my new return pump, overflow, rocks, and light fixture!

I was originally going to use a Jebao DC-12000 for this build as I've had good luck with the 6000 on my 75g, but at the last minute I bought a Vectra M1. I'm excited about this pump and feel like it will alleviate my concern of the Jebao randomly shutting down in a years time. Ecotech has always had amazing customer service when I've needed help so that has a lot to do with it too.

I went with the SynergyReef 16" overflow for this build. I had BAO build me a custom over flow for my 75G and it has been nothing but great! This time around, I felt like I was getting more with the Synergy overflow and went ahead and pulled the trigger on it.

Were did you get the back flow valve?

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking build so far. What brand of aquarium are you using? Being from CoMo I assume you order all your livestock online or do you go to KC or STL? I was born and raised in CoMo and there was never a good place to buy saltwater fish. I noticed that there was a saltwater store on E. Broadway a couple years back but it closed before I was able to check it out.

Good luck on the build and marriage.

I'm using a Marineland tank. Hoping I don't have issues...I've done a mix of online and KC or STL. Columbia Pet Center is actually now doing saltwater as well. Their system has been up for about a year now and is really improving. I will probably buy my fish there, but will order most my coral online or pick up pieces in KC.

The store on Broadway was nice, but could have been s much better. The owner wasn't great with customers and made some very bad decisions which led to the store closing.

And thanks!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cute puppy.

I am following along on this build as it looks like it will turn out really nice.

Thanks and welcome aboard!

Christmas in May. :) Definitely adds to the anticipation.

Yeah, I must have been really good so far this year because I have been very generous with my gifts to myself!

Were did you get the back flow valve?

That's a Spears true Union check valve from BRS. They also sell the Georg Fischer wye check valve! I thought about it, but they are pretty dang expensive.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Spears true Union check valve from BRS. They also sell the Georg Fischer wye check valve! I thought about it, but they are pretty dang expensive.[/QUOTE]

I like how the spears comes apart

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a Spears true Union check valve from BRS. They also sell the Georg Fischer wye check valve! I thought about it, but they are pretty dang expensive.

I like how the spears comes apart[/QUOTE]

Agreed! Makes it much easier for maintenance of the valve.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Georg Fischer on Amazon. Thank you:)

Back