The unofficial "Triton Method For Dummies" - a great read!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well lots of people there Lots of people do not check forum posts especially authors and business people. As far as hand dosing you can do it. It's just a chore to do. Just like dosing cal,alk,and mag. Life comes up causes you to miss a dose. Consistency is what corals like.
This is a relatively new method. If no one answers the forums where does one go for support? I chose this method because I thought it was a good choice for others like me who don't totally understand the science/chemistry but could follow it and if adjustments or questions came up they could direct me.
I have a doser.

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When starting the Triton method if my Alk is at 7.0. Do I use the Triton Alk booster to get it up to 8.0 before I start dosing the elements at 10ml/100 liters of tank volume?

Ideally, and you can use any brand of alk supplement to raise your Alk. Just do it slow, and check your alk daily to make adjustments up/or down when you start dosing the 4 part.

Last edited:

kv69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get my alk down to 8 before sending in a test sample? Right now my alk is at 10. Or doesn't it matter?
When I started, I talked to Scott at Unique Corals and he "suggested" it; to get a baseline when you start... So if you are at 10 you know you need to lower to 8. but if you want a snapshot of everything else, send it in, or wait till it lowers if everything is looking good. just my 2 cents.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys sorry not been on for a while, crazy busy in the UK at the moment.

I will try and get on here more often again :)

Miguel PT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, am about to start this method too, am a newbie , i started my 200l tank 6 months ago, and now things are not doing so well as they were before, in the beginning i wanted to start by the triton but some how i was influenced to go with the blue bottles, i believe they are also as good as any other product but since am not getting any help and all this chemistry seams way too advanced for me, the fact triton can tell us what is wrong and how to correct it... to me... its more helpful that any other help i had so far. But i do have some questions, maybe someone can help me with.
I use a osmolator, this is how i keep my water at 1024, but the calculator on the triton says i have to remove water to keep the salinity right ? every day?
Should or should i not send a test with water before i start the method? If yes, how much time after should i send the next one?
To raise KH or lower it, cant we just adjust the dosing pump? and what should we do tho the other 2 elements (3 )?
In my case i will not mix the 3A with the 3B, just to make sure they wont crystallize and clog the pump, how will i know if i need to increase or lower one of them?
Thanks

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, am about to start this method too, am a newbie , i started my 200l tank 6 months ago, and now things are not doing so well as they were before, in the beginning i wanted to start by the triton but some how i was influenced to go with the blue bottles, i believe they are also as good as any other product but since am not getting any help and all this chemistry seams way too advanced for me, the fact triton can tell us what is wrong and how to correct it... to me... its more helpful that any other help i had so far. But i do have some questions, maybe someone can help me with.
I use a osmolator, this is how i keep my water at 1024, but the calculator on the triton says i have to remove water to keep the salinity right ? every day?
Should or should i not send a test with water before i start the method? If yes, how much time after should i send the next one?
To raise KH or lower it, cant we just adjust the dosing pump? and what should we do tho the other 2 elements (3 )?
In my case i will not mix the 3A with the 3B, just to make sure they wont crystallize and clog the pump, how will i know if i need to increase or lower one of them?
Thanks

Hello.

Firstly, you only need to remove water from your tank if you observe your salinity rising, in most cases the skimmer removes enough water to cover this.

You can test your water before you start so you know where you stand and are not constantly fighting things that could of been easily rectified before changing over. In your case you say you have had problems so I would say yes test. How often you test after that is up to you, if you are adjusting and tweaking a lot then maybe every month, once everything is stable and settled then maybe every 3 or 4 months etc.

The aim is to keep your Alkalinity at 8dKH and the balanced nature of the elements means that all the other elements should be pretty much where you want them to be too. When you adjust one you adjust them all. I would agree and recommend if you have the ability to dose the 4 parts separately and not to combine 3A+B this can also save trouble if you get crystallisation forming in the solution, after all you cannot separate them back out once they are mixed.

If you haven't already, have a read of the guide at the beginning of the post, most of these questions are answered in there.

Cheers Tim

Miguel PT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank Tim
its been almost a week since i stopped dosing whatever i was dosing including the zeolit reactor, only the dosing pump for kh mg and ca was adding to keep levels, the kh is now at 8.3 and i want to lower it to 8 as recommended, ca 450 mg 1350 .
My dosing pump as 4 heads so 3A and B will be dosed separately.
thanks for everything

Fishinwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450496808.396291.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450496819.625523.jpg

My first test results are in! Now what?

Why would my Tin be so high?

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the Triton Detox product to lower your Tin. Not sure how you ended up with high Tin. Perhaps you used a rusty razor blade to scrape algae off of the glass? Rusty hose clamps? There are a bunch of things that could lead to high Tin.

Last edited:

DLuce510

A.D.I.D.A.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance- that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Herbert Spencer

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should read 10 ml for every 100 liters of tank volume! We just caught the error, too, and will advise the author! Thanks

-Scott
I was just reading thru the guide and was about to question the same thing. Still not fixed, obviously. ;)

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tim it would be great if the revised version was in a format that we could copy and paste with the pictures as well. It should allow us to copy and paste in its entirety please. I hope to setup soon and will probably use Triton.

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading thru the guide and was about to question the same thing. Still not fixed, obviously. ;)
Almost two years later the error is still in the document. it's quite obvious that 10ml to 100ml of tank volume doesn't make sense. but as this section is for new aquarium, someone new to the hobby could make the mistake to follow the incorrect guide.

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tim@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very good question that was not answered. Hope somebody can chime in.
Of course, but not only is this time consuming you are also adding all the solution at once which can cause spikes in parameters, something we try to avoid. Dosing pumps are recommended so the doses can be spread out throughout the day and it is one less thing for you to worry about.

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, but not only is this time consuming you are also adding all the solution at once which can cause spikes in parameters, something we try to avoid. Dosing pumps are recommended so the doses can be spread out throughout the day and it is one less thing for you to worry about.
Thanks for confirming, additional to having to invest a lot to get 4 dosing pumps, i actually enjoy that part of the day when i dose all the different agents to my tank (I'm using all RedSea products).

What would be the major risk of the spikes, is there any advice to avoid issues, eg. dose in sump, no more than X ml per dose, etc...

Thanks in advance!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back