The unstoppable Maine Coon

waywardreefer

Discipline Equals Freedom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone!

Any suggestions on the best way to stop a cat from terrorizing your tank?

Ye olde scat mat was no joy as he is seen here just saying FYC and mocking me as he stands on top of the prongs, digging away at the filter floss...that was covered...he removed the cover and succeeded in his mission...it's a battle of wills at this moment...

He's only concerned with the filter floss....doesn't seem to care about anything else...

We're aware having a stand with a ledge is only aiding and abetting the transgressions of this felis catus...but it must do for now...therefore working under the constraints of this stand...what say you all?

signal-2022-07-24-06-31-00-424~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of material are you using for the "prongs"? If it's like a cuttable sheet similar to eggcrate, you could have it overhang the top of the stand by a few inches. That way, he won't be able to stand on it as well. A lid will keep him from messing with fish/corals. Also, that is a great photo.

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of material are you using for the "prongs"? If it's like a cuttable sheet similar to eggcrate, you could have it overhang the top of the stand by a few inches. That way, he won't be able to stand on it as well. A lid will keep him from messing with fish/corals. Also, that is a great photo.
Scat mat off of amazon

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give him his own filter floss? lol

But seriously, try keeping him occupied with cat things. I really like food puzzles and interactive toys.

As far as blocking the tank, maybe you can duct tape the filter floss compartment so the cat can learn that there’s nothing interesting there anymore.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fella is impervious to tin foil...it's like cat nip to him...just plays with it
Darn, TBH the only thing that worked for us is the cat accidentally falling through the lid, she does not jump on tanks since that incident.
But seriously, try keeping him occupied with cat things. I really like food puzzles and interactive toys.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is one motivated and focused cat! :) The mission will be completed no matter the cost, no matter the pain, no matter the sacrifice to one's personal safety. LOL That's a great pic! :)

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try using two (or three) pieces of lexan, acrylic, etc. and lean them from the edge of the scat mat to the top of the aquarium. Basically making a leaning wall such that there is no ledge for the MCC to stand on. You may need three initially (one on the front) so that he has no place to stand. At some point, getting a stand with no ledge will be the long term solution.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I thought about that too, but not sure how the OP could configure it with a full tank.
I had some 3" x 24" ones that fit on my eurobraced tank.
I don't see any of the shorter ones doing a quick google search, but they may still exist.

OP
OP
waywardreefer

waywardreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started new stand build to custom fit the tank since IM never made an APS for this one.... eliminate the ledges and increase height few inches

Attachments

• IMG20220724200159.jpg
    IMG20220724200159.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG20220724182914.jpg
    IMG20220724182914.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 41

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings everyone!

Any suggestions on the best way to stop a cat from terrorizing your tank?

Ye olde scat mat was no joy as he is seen here just saying FYC and mocking me as he stands on top of the prongs, digging away at the filter floss...that was covered...he removed the cover and succeeded in his mission...it's a battle of wills at this moment...

He's only concerned with the filter floss....doesn't seem to GAF about anything else...

We're aware having a stand with a ledge is only aiding and abetting the transgressions of this felis catus...but it must do for now...therefore working under the constraints of this stand...what say you all?

signal-2022-07-24-06-31-00-424~2.jpg
Glass top but cats hate sticky substances. Double sided tape would work wonders.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back