The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided on my two. Went with Lineatus & Rhomboid.

They were supposed to arrive at the same time, but the Rhomboid got held back for a week or so.

Am I going to have aggression issues? Sorry wrasse newbie here.
You may have some issues as they are both from the same complex.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have some issues as they are both from the same complex.
I kept both before without issue. Start with females, bigger tank, lots of dithers, lots of food. Goes a LONG way towards cutting aggression

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swung by one of my favorite LFS tonight for their 20% off coral sale and picked up a few new wrasses to go with a couple corals! They had a lot of awesome choices, but I limited myself to just 2. Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (Indo variant lubbocks fairy wrasse) and Cirrhilabrus adornatus (koi fairy wrasse). Here's hoping they play well with the rest of the fairies (katoi, ryukyuensis, chaliasi, and filamentosus)!

20240413_190624.jpg
20240413_190631.jpg
I love my lubbocks wrasse! He is very dog like, greets me at the glass. Begs for food, and is a pretty gentle tank boss.
Here he is when is 1st pic got him 2 years ago(new 50g) and pretty recent with my new tank 2ed pic
20221203_070523.jpg

20240125_164401.jpg

TARHEEL78

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept both before without issue. Start with females, bigger tank, lots of dithers, lots of food. Goes a LONG way towards cutting aggression
That's all true but I don't know anything about his tank or the sex of the wrasse he got which is why I said "may".

Pneumatic_Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's all true but I don't know anything about his tank or the sex of the wrasse he got which is why I said "may".

Unfortunately they’re both Super Males. And the only wrasses in the tank.

The plan was introducing at the same time. Same way I do my angels. But the Rhomboid got held back.

Hmmmm, I’ll have to figure something out. Maybe have another Cirrhilabrus added at the same time….

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately they’re both Super Males. And the only wrasses in the tank.

The plan was introducing at the same time. Same way I do my angels. But the Rhomboid got held back.

Hmmmm, I’ll have to figure something out. Maybe have another Cirrhilabrus added at the same time….
Maybe 2-3 others added at the same time (ideally females/young males of different species)? And use an acclimation box for the rhomboid?

I'd also rearrange the rockscape and add a mirror to the side of the tank if possible, as it helps to reset the established territories and gives them a more direct target for their aggression (same species vs similar).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in love with this female rubri (possibly a Mccoskeri but she’s tiny so I can’t ID her too well).
IMG_0068.jpeg

She’s so inquisitive and happily travels somewhat close to the rocks. The male is equally as gorgeous as he loves displaying almost hourly!
IMG_0042.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s the Pencil - P. edwardi. He’s so fun to watch, he loves to peck on the rocks as well as kick everyone away from his area. I just wish I could get his colours on photos/videos more.

IMG_0048.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s the Pencil - P. edwardi. He’s so fun to watch, he loves to peck on the rocks as well as kick everyone away from his area. I just wish I could get his colours on photos/videos more.

IMG_0048.jpeg

And what are we feeding in that video?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what are we feeding in that video?
The food I give is;
- Bloodworms
- Mysis (about 5-6 different variations of this)
- Brine (2-3 variations)
- Various frozen algae
- Red Plankton
- Cyclops
- Daphnia
- Chopped Mussle
- Calanus
and I believe there is quite possibly more mixed into the food, I basically mix a whole batch of fish food up and then put it into pots and feed 1 pot per day - I believe it’s around 50g of food.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and the Cirrhilabrus adornatus was dead. Pretty sure it broke its back trying to jump against the top of the acrylic tank. We got home last night and it was basically unable to swim, breathing heavy but unable to move its body or use its fins...

Thankfully the lubbocki looks good and is already coming out and eating!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got up this morning and the Cirrhilabrus adornatus was dead. Pretty sure it broke its back trying to jump against the top of the acrylic tank. We got home last night and it was basically unable to swim, breathing heavy but unable to move its body or use its fins...

Thankfully the lubbocki looks good and is already coming out and eating!
Sorry about the adornatus :crying-face:

That's my big debate right now. Polycarbonate lid or another mesh lid with even smaller holes. Want to get the lid sorted before any more wrasses.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG... can we thread the needle anymore then this?

20240411_154522.jpg

I am completely lost how he got though those gaps.

True i did not like him very much because he would pick on my anthias... but i did not wish him to commit suicide and litterally jump out of a hole smaller then his size.
How big is your mesh? Looking at the size of your fish and of the mesh, if the fish hit it diagonally it will go through.
My mesh is 1/4 inch and thus no go, but your mesh seem larger.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the adornatus :crying-face:

That's my big debate right now. Polycarbonate lid or another mesh lid with even smaller holes. Want to get the lid sorted before any more wrasses.
I have a Clear View and no fish has gone through the mesh or gotten hurt by it.

16358.jpeg

taytay_1119

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a new 75g build I’ll be doing by end of year. I’m just trying to get a stock list going for now. The list of wrasses that I’m interested in are:
• Lubbock fairy wrasse, •adorned wrasse, •two- tone wrasse, •yellow banded possum wrasse, •pink streak wrasse, •melanurus wrasse, •vrolik wrasse, •potters wrasse, •Christmas wrasse.
I will have CUC of hermit, Nass, turbo, trochus, conch, skunk cleaner, and possibly star. It will be fowlr for now possibly softie later on. Which combo of these will work? First time having wrasses and less than a year into this hobby.

FreeEnergy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love me some wrasse's, so I want to see everyone's wrasse pictures! Please share!

I've been practicing my fish taking.. Snapped a decent one of my Naoko Wrasse, still need to polish up on my skills though!
IMG_9457_zps94017eaa.jpg

IMG_9469_zps9e608ad0.jpg

Edit:

Forgot my earmuff! Colors since this picture have really improved!
IMG_9303_zpsfd974b69.jpg
Beautiful

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a new 75g build I’ll be doing by end of year. I’m just trying to get a stock list going for now. The list of wrasses that I’m interested in are:
• Lubbock fairy wrasse, •adorned wrasse, •two- tone wrasse, •yellow banded possum wrasse, •pink streak wrasse, •melanurus wrasse, •vrolik wrasse, •potters wrasse, •Christmas wrasse.
I will have CUC of hermit, Nass, turbo, trochus, conch, skunk cleaner, and possibly star. It will be fowlr for now possibly softie later on. Which combo of these will work? First time having wrasses and less than a year into this hobby.
Welcome to the wrasse world!

What are the dimensions of the tank? What species of “Christmas” Wrasse are you looking at?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back