This snake oil?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally no because they live in the water column and are removed by the skimmer or trapped in filter socks.

That is the idea - turn organics and nutrients into bacteria and remove the bacteria thereby removing
I thought bacteria replicate in minutes and can replicate exponentially, so even with heavy skimming surely they would be self sustaining with no need to replenish, once present in sufficient numbers.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought bacteria replicate in minutes and can replicate exponentially, so even with heavy skimming surely they would be self sustaining with no need to replenish, once present in sufficient numbers.

All bacteria aren’t created equal. Some reproduce fast, some slow.

It looks like these act like bacteria used in wastewater treatment plants.

Very cool!

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All bacteria aren’t created equal. Some reproduce fast, some slow.

It looks like these act like bacteria used in wastewater treatment plants.

Very cool!
The bacteria in waste water plants aren’t free swimming they attach to the media and form biological mats, so quite different to the explanation given by Dr Tim

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria in waste water plants aren’t free swimming they attach to the media and form biological mats, so quite different to the explanation given by Dr Tim

You need to science more padwan. A lot happens before floc formation

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you know how that goes if they only told you that you only need it once. Where is the repeat customers?

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DrTim Very cool of you to create a account to talk about your products. My son had great success starting his biocube with your products compared to what I used. The time release gel may just get a go in my tank.
Are there any issues using the gel in tandem with nopox or should the gel replace anyother nutrient export product being used?

2C2D59EE-6D26-4A08-87C6-1437B86AAEEA.jpeg

Hoyhoy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @DrTim ,
Will this gel version work with having a UV in the tank? I currently have the gel in my sump with a vecton 25w UV running 24/7

DrTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going through a nasty Cyano problem right now, that I have been trying to get a handle on for a while. After reading through this thread you have me sold! I am at a point where I will try anything and this seems to be worth a shot at the very least.

We have a day by day guide (attached). For a nasty cyano problem we recommend using the liquid form to clean it up and then the gel form to maintain it.

Attachments

• DrTims_Treat_Cyano_Recipe_BRS.pdf
    393.1 KB · Views: 324

DrTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very nice to see you on the forums now @DrTim, thank you for participating and sharing information, for me that goes a long way. I don't believe you sell snake oil, we used your products at a facility I worked at previously and we were happy, and this might be worth a go as well for smaller systems.

Thanks. I can understand the concern by people. There is a lot of junk in this hobby masquerading as science and the internet only makes it worse is many cases. I don't mind explaining our products and a having a constructive conversation which is why I am here.

DrTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DrTim Very cool of you to create a account to talk about your products. My son had great success starting his biocube with your products compared to what I used. The time release gel may just get a go in my tank.
Are there any issues using the gel in tandem with nopox or should the gel replace anyother nutrient export product being used?

2C2D59EE-6D26-4A08-87C6-1437B86AAEEA.jpeg

Thanks for the note.
Be careful using NOPOX (and any liquid bacteria fuels) with the gels (or any bacteria additive). NOPOX is basically sugar (carbon) to stimulate the growth of bacteria in the aquarium. The gel is adding bacteria to the system so when you combine the two if you add to much NOPOX you can stimulate a bloom of bacteria that will reduce oxygen levels to below critical levels killing your fish and maybe corals.

If you want to use them together reduce the amount to NOPOX initially and see how they react together.

DrTim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @DrTim ,
Will this gel version work with having a UV in the tank? I currently have the gel in my sump with a vecton 25w UV running 24/7

Yes, it will.

Yes the UV will kill what bacteria pass through it but the chances are you are not running 100% of the your water through the UV and this give the bacteria time to reproduce consuming some nutrients. Assuming you have a skimmer the bacteria (dead or alive) are removed by it.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the note.
Be careful using NOPOX (and any liquid bacteria fuels) with the gels (or any bacteria additive). NOPOX is basically sugar (carbon) to stimulate the growth of bacteria in the aquarium. The gel is adding bacteria to the system so when you combine the two if you add to much NOPOX you can stimulate a bloom of bacteria that will reduce oxygen levels to below critical levels killing your fish and maybe corals.

If you want to use them together reduce the amount to NOPOX initially and see how they react together.
Thank you for this

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should we take our carbon off line when using this product?

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a day by day guide (attached). For a nasty cyano problem we recommend using the liquid form to clean it up and then the gel form to maintain it.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the responses on here. Incredibly helpful. I ordered a 2 month supply of the gel packs and a bottle of the waste away to kick start everything. Any other pointers on the use of these before they get here?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back