Tips For Catching A Fish

Flyangler33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

might be a dumb question but anyone have any tips for catching a problem fish? I got a purple dotty back a few weeks ago and he is a complete a hole to everyone else in the tank and has to go. Everytime he even sees the net that man is outta there and hiding in the rocks. Should I do a water change and move the scape around to grab him up?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do it a few hours after lights out when it’s “asleep”. Get a red light flashlight.
sometimes the red light does help. but more so a myth as they can still react to red light.

i would definitely still use a red light to search for it and once you find it use a bright white light to “stun” it and go in to catch. super tricky depending if it’s in an easy to access spot. fish trap would net you better results, honestly

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few good traps that you can pick up that work pretty good. You can also do the lights out method (assuming he doesn't sleep deep in the rocks). Wait until the tank has been in total darkness for a few hours and flick on the overhead lights. The fish are stunned to the point where you can reach in and pick them up.

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the "blackout" method.
I normally do this at night before the lights are out in the tank. Turn off all sources of light in the room and adjacent rooms and all at once turn off the tank lights to "black out" the tank then hit the fish with a bright flashlight to stun them and scoop them up with a net. You have to be quick because the stun only lasts about 5-10 seconds.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patience. Not me but my daughter had the net in the tank for 25 minutes, mostly waiting for the yellow tang to come out. Blocked hiding places with nets and scrapers. He got more acclimated to the net and almost swam into it.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Borrow a fish trap from another hobbyist. By far the least frustrating route and won't stress out the other fish as bad.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the Nyos Fish trap - worked pretty well for me when i needed to get rid of 3 very agry white dot damsel fish. It takes a while to get the fish used to the trap and to trust it (maybe 4 or 5 days) but after a while i was able to get the fish, 1 by 1. BRS sells them for $69 - pretty pricey but a good tool to have around for future needs

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.34.07 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 8.34.07 AM.png

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way for use is using the NYOS or other similar type traps I've caught many fish using those with ease.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make traps out of a plastic bottle. It works great for smaller fish and inverts. This was my last two catches

Screenshot_20240503-122742.png

EDIT This is the latest version. It one of the larger Gatorade bottles son the opening is bigger than a 2 liter pop bottle. Frag disks for weight, fishing line and a clip retrieve it. I glued it together and cut a flap do I can remove what I catch.
PXL_20240503_181814595.jpg
PXL_20240503_181818235.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey All,

might be a dumb question but anyone have any tips for catching a problem fish? I got a purple dotty back a few weeks ago and he is a complete a hole to everyone else in the tank and has to go. Everytime he even sees the net that man is outta there and hiding in the rocks. Should I do a water change and move the scape around to grab him up?
Fish trap everytime for me. I just had to remove my purple and give it a time out and it took me under 2 minutes.

TheReefPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transferring my 20G stock to a new 100G. Tried the “inverted gatoraid bottle” trick on my flamehawk and he just looked at me like “come on dude”. No luck. Success with the “flash light stun” last night.

Desert Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up real early, white lights on 100%, move stunned fish out from sleeping spot and into the net. Done this 3 times in last few months to get problem damsels and cronies. You should have about a minute or two before they really wake up but won’t nearly need that much time. Happy hunting.

jjhall99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dealt with this. Bought all the traps. Three months and multiple nights later I took the rocks apart to capture the fish. Some fish are smarter than others. YMMV

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to admit someone with the name "Flyangler" asking how to catch fish is kind of funny.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dollar Store Trap,
This works like no other way I have ever seen. I made my first one some 30 plus years ago. Stepped on my last one I had it for about 18 years. When I made one out of a pink plastic jar, they did not like the color I found out fast. So I made a new one, you to can catch any fish in no time at all. This is my total investment it is just shy of $13.24..! And that is if you don't have any of these items at all. There are two sizes of these jars for $1.24 each at the Dollar Store. I chose the smaller size it is perfect in any tank I have. 120g, 90g and a 65g...

The way it works:
Place the jar with the magnet glued inside of it, and the foam on the top of the jar. You just lower the jar down in the tank, the open end with the foam horizonal with sand bed. Place the other outside magnet on a string, to the jar magnet they will stick together that will hold the jar in place (one magnet inside and one magnet outside on a string). I use up to 10 foot string. Put shrimp or clam into the inside jar.. And sit in your lounge chair and wait until the fish you want goes in the jar. And then pull the outside magnet on the string hard and fast, the jar opening will tip and float straight up in a second and float up to the top of the water FAST. Your fish or shrimp can NOT GET OUT.... There is no better way I have seen to both catch and seize any fish or shrimp of your choice.... Been doing this like I said for 30+ years and it works like no other... I just keep hearing about all these people with tanks that cant catch a fish. Trying for days and days at times. In 20 mins total max time I can get anyone of them. And I have some 300 lbs of live rock and corals everywhere! :) This one came out perfect, best one I have ever made to date. Just wanted to share this to all. Happy Reefing :)

The list:
Plastic Jar $1.24
Neodymium Magnets, I use Rubber coated. (a pair) E-Bay (Out of Texas) $3.00
Foam Door Draft Stopper (Ace, Lowes, Home Depot) $8.00
Super Glue or heat gun (Dollar Store) $1.00
String, Braided Fishing line, Rope... lol ?
Razor Knife or a razor blade ?
One Larger Rubber band ?

And just 20 minutes of your time.

The foam that I used is closed cell foam and there is a picture of what and how to get it. It works perfectly and bends fantastic very little effort if any..! Bottom Picture!

IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0027 - Copy.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back