Unofficial ReefBot and App Suggestion Tracker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Below is a suggestion track so that we, as a community, can provide Reef Kinetics with suggestions of features, tweaks or ideas we would like to see. We need to be reasonable and respectful while understanding our ideas, might not align with their company's vision and direction. Suggestions should be doable (no magically refilling reagents :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:) and also should provide some kind of detail or idea of what it is you are suggesting. Just saying "X is a hot mess!" doesn't help, if you aren't sure exactly how to put it into words or how something would work better, just do the best you can to paint the picture, i.e. "The graph has to many Y values and detail is lost in the plotting" (just a random example, not anything I've seen).

If RK doesn't want this posted, I will take it down. Just figured it would be a good way to provide feedback and ideas to help spark more innovation.

Last edited:

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
What a fantastic idea! We truly value all the insights shared, and we're committed to implementing these modifications as swiftly as we can. Enhancing the user experience is our top priority, especially when the adjustments are straightforward and can be implemented immediately.

Thank you, Frank, for initiating this thread. Your contributions are greatly appreciated! :star-struck:

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
If anyone has anything they want me to input, please leave a post. I'm trying to give others a chance before I add mine lol

Also, feel free to give as much detail as you would like/can. I will reference the post number on the tracker.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Few people have request for public changelogs for app, firmware, and any other tweaks performed that affect the community.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Another request that a few have requested recently, to include potential customers, and even post all the way from 2020, was to cut the dependency with the cloud.

No one has requested to remove it completely that I have saw, just the ability to not be dependent on it. The Raspberry has more than enough processing power to handle what is required for the test. The cloud utilization would be a redundant backup for results in the event of an SD card failure as well as remote access/control to submit request/scheduling for test.

This would help prevent test being failed due to Bot / Cloud communications and should customers network go down, test can still be performed and update the cloud once service is restored. Living in Florida, especially now as a soon to be hurricane is approaching that could affect certain services.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Frank,

Exciting news! Users can now prime the tubes directly through our mobile app as per your suggestion. Just remove the RO and sampling tubes, initiate the test, and watch as the device primes its inner tubes along with the draining tube. Once the test is complete, you're all set to remove the draining tube and store the device.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
I forgot to ever add that suggestion to the tracker, I added it to show progress with RK and community submitted suggestions.

Also, does this prime or just purge? Sounds like it is only for purging and storing/shipping etc. Also, is the chamber dumping the RO and tank water lines as it completes this cycle in order to prevent an overflow? Just want to ensure it is understood how this feature works.

Last edited:

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I forgot to ever add that suggestion to the tracker, I added it to show progress with RK and community submitted suggestions.

Also, does this prime or just purge? Sounds like it is only for purging and storing/shipping etc. Also, is the chamber dumping the RO and tank water lines as it completes this cycle in order to prevent an overflow? Just want to ensure it is understood how this feature works.
The test process involves removing the inlet and RO tubes. The filling pumps then cycle water through the RO and sample tubes from the device's inlet to the end of the draining tubes. Subsequently, the draining pumps clear water from the waste tube, ensuring no residual water remains in the draining tube. This practice proves invaluable for device storage, preventing saltwater from drying and potential tube blockages.

Regarding priming and purging, when any test is initiated, the device automatically clears water from both the RO and sample inlet tubes. This guarantees that air is removed and that only fresh water is tested, and ensures that clean RO water is exclusively utilized for the test. This feature is a built-in safeguard to prevent testing with stale water or using outdated RO water in the tests.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
The graph has to many Y values and detail is lost in the plotting" (just a random example, not anything I've seen).
In terms of graph plotting, we currently have set margins for minimum, maximum, and safety range. However, we understand that users have varying preferences - some may aim for phosphate levels below 0.1 ppm and a value of 1 ppm is a "disaster" for them, while others might go up to around 2.5 - 3 ppm. To cater to these differences, we're actively developing a feature that will allow users to directly edit the graphs according to their specific ranges, including setting their preferred safety margin and minimum/maximum range. We're aiming to roll out this update in the upcoming quarter alongside significant software enhancements. Our commitment is to continuously enhance the user experience.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Another request that a few have requested recently, to include potential customers, and even post all the way from 2020, was to cut the dependency with the cloud.
We recognize the advantages of having the device operate independently, even in "offline" mode. While our reliance on the cloud has streamlined processes and offered numerous benefits, we anticipate reducing this dependency in the future. We understand that many users express interest in this transition, but it's worth noting that these users form a somewhat specialized niche. As of now, we haven't found that enabling this feature outweighs the potential drawbacks given how our device currently functions.

It's important to acknowledge that we did encounter some issues in the past years, particularly when certain tests failed due to communication problems. However, we've since addressed these concerns, and such incidents are now exceptionally rare. Operating the device without relying on the cloud is a concept we're actively exploring, and it's something we're committed to implementing eventually. While we don't foresee it happening in the immediate future, it is a transition that we're dedicated to making in due course.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
In terms of graph plotting, we currently have set margins for minimum, maximum, and safety range. However, we understand that users have varying preferences - some may aim for phosphate levels below 0.1 ppm and a value of 1 ppm is a "disaster" for them, while others might go up to around 2.5 - 3 ppm. To cater to these differences, we're actively developing a feature that will allow users to directly edit the graphs according to their specific ranges, including setting their preferred safety margin and minimum/maximum range. We're aiming to roll out this update in the upcoming quarter alongside significant software enhancements. Our commitment is to continuously enhance the user experience.
This was just used as an example as a type of recommendation, haven't heard of any issues with graphs.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
We recognize the advantages of having the device operate independently, even in "offline" mode. While our reliance on the cloud has streamlined processes and offered numerous benefits, we anticipate reducing this dependency in the future. We understand that many users express interest in this transition, but it's worth noting that these users form a somewhat specialized niche. As of now, we haven't found that enabling this feature outweighs the potential drawbacks given how our device currently functions.

It's important to acknowledge that we did encounter some issues in the past years, particularly when certain tests failed due to communication problems. However, we've since addressed these concerns, and such incidents are now exceptionally rare. Operating the device without relying on the cloud is a concept we're actively exploring, and it's something we're committed to implementing eventually. While we don't foresee it happening in the immediate future, it is a transition that we're dedicated to making in due course.
This is good news, even if not immediate. While, the cloud utilization provides benefits, it does have its cons as well. That is why an option for processing local or via cloud would be desired. Then both sides of the automated testing community could be addressed. I'd also be willing to bet the group that desire this are larger than currently known, namely by people who have not purchased a Bot yet. Initially, this was the biggest deal breaker I had, but I got offered a second hand deal I couldn't pass up.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
This is good news, even if not immediate. While, the cloud utilization provides benefits, it does have its cons as well. That is why an option for processing local or via cloud would be desired. Then both sides of the automated testing community could be addressed. I'd also be willing to bet the group that desire this are larger than currently known, namely by people who have not purchased a Bot yet. Initially, this was the biggest deal breaker I had, but I got offered a second hand deal I couldn't pass up.
Indeed, this is true. It's precisely why we're considering it for the future. Your feedback and opinions are always important to us and will be thoroughly examined.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Indeed, this is true. It's precisely why we're considering it for the future. Your feedback and opinions are always important to us and will be thoroughly examined.
I updated it's status to "Pending" in hopes this comes to fruition in the near future.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
I would love to see it happen, as some other current owners would as well. I'd also bet it would help bring in more customers with this option.

Erric78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a few suggestions I'd like RK to consider. Firstly, my friend Mark Twayne, who is a developer and was granted API access to build his system, offered to build mine as well. I applied for this last week. It would be great to have a portal for this process instead of waiting. I understand that RK would have to cover the cost for AWS, but this will definitely attract more potential clients.

Secondly, regarding device features, I hope I'm not suggesting features that are already planned for future upgrades, but it would be better regardless, it would be best to have a dimming or off switch for the device's LED that could be controlled via the app, or a physical on/off switch.

I understand the reasons for using 3D printed parts for cover-ups, but I'd recommend considering stainless steel or aluminum for a more professional look.

Additionally, a larger testing chamber that could accommodate probes like temperature, salinity, and pH, as shown in RK's RAP, would be a significant improvement.

Furthermore, concerning communication, RK's current devices have communication ports, but we've been eagerly awaiting the doser for some time. In my opinion, a device that is being showcased in all showrooms for several years should have already been available in the market by now. I know a beta user who has had it since COVID, and it's still running without any issues.

Now, regarding values and certain tests, many users, including myself, use the RB lab to test nitrates and phosphates as fixed parameters. In my experience, for these two parameters, I trust Hanna's test kits, which unfortunately are not available for use with the RB lab. My second choice is Salifert, but it's not available for Nitrate or Phosphate testing with the RB lab. This leaves me with the Redsea phosphate test, which, in my opinion, is quite unstable, along with TM or API Nitrate tests. Adding Hanna's and Salifert tests would be more important, in my opinion, than adding new parameters and tests that we see updated semi-weekly in the tests tab.

Lastly, regarding the dosing syringe, while it eliminates the need for frequent chamber calibrations, why not consider replacing both syringes with stepper pumps for collecting and draining water and reagents? This change could make the device smaller in size, and the tests would take only a few minutes. I believe this is something RK should seriously consider.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestions. I wish RK all the best and want you to know that I'm a very satisfied customer. In the case of new products, I would certainly be a loyal customer, which is why I'm sharing these ideas. I'll continue to provide more ideas whenever they come to mind.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a few suggestions I'd like RK to consider. Firstly, my friend Mark Twayne, who is a developer and was granted API access to build his system, offered to build mine as well. I applied for this last week. It would be great to have a portal for this process instead of waiting. I understand that RK would have to cover the cost for AWS, but this will definitely attract more potential clients.
Hello Eric,

I want to express my gratitude for sharing your thoughts with us, and I want you to know that your feedback is valuable to us. I'd like to address a few points you've raised.

Regarding API access, I understand your concerns and the frustration surrounding its delay. Please know that this delay is beyond our control as it's caused by a third party. However, we are actively working on addressing the issues, and we expect it to be available soon.

In response to your suggestion about an LED-off feature, I'm pleased to inform you that we are already in the process of implementing this feature in the current production batch. Initially, it will be controlled by a physical switch on the device for the lights. In subsequent batches, we plan to enhance this feature by making it app-controlled and adding a dimming option.

Regarding the 3D coverings used in the device, we're phasing them out batch by batch as you might have noticed. This is a matter being studied by our production team, and it may take some time to implement completely.

Regarding the installation of probes inside the testing chamber, it's important to note that it may not be feasible with our current model. But we've designed the devices with future probes and doser integrations in mind, also having the devices equipped with the proper ports for this. However, these enhancements may not be available till later iterations.

As for the suggestion to replace syringes with stepper pumps, while this idea has some advantages, it has limitations. It would work well if a single kit of reagents were always used. However, our system is designed to handle various parameters and tests, and stepper pumps would require frequent calibrations and could lead to contamination issues. Therefore, it's not a feasible option I'm afraid.

Regarding Hanna and Salifert NO3 & PO4 tests, it's important to note that these tests are powder-based. Their compatibility with our system presents significant challenges due to their characteristics.

Once again, I appreciate your feedback and ideas. Please feel free to continue sharing your thoughts with us. Your input helps us improve our products and services. Thank you!

Joe's Coral Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
When viewing the Test Tank Results graph it would be nice to adjust the x values. View all the data or a selected date range. Now it seems you can only view graphed data from the last 4 days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back