Unofficial ReefBot and App Suggestion Tracker

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a few suggestions I'd like RK to consider. Firstly, my friend Mark Twayne, who is a developer and was granted API access to build his system, offered to build mine as well. I applied for this last week. It would be great to have a portal for this process instead of waiting. I understand that RK would have to cover the cost for AWS, but this will definitely attract more potential clients.

Secondly, regarding device features, I hope I'm not suggesting features that are already planned for future upgrades, but it would be better regardless, it would be best to have a dimming or off switch for the device's LED that could be controlled via the app, or a physical on/off switch.

I understand the reasons for using 3D printed parts for cover-ups, but I'd recommend considering stainless steel or aluminum for a more professional look.

Additionally, a larger testing chamber that could accommodate probes like temperature, salinity, and pH, as shown in RK's RAP, would be a significant improvement.

Furthermore, concerning communication, RK's current devices have communication ports, but we've been eagerly awaiting the doser for some time. In my opinion, a device that is being showcased in all showrooms for several years should have already been available in the market by now. I know a beta user who has had it since COVID, and it's still running without any issues.

Now, regarding values and certain tests, many users, including myself, use the RB lab to test nitrates and phosphates as fixed parameters. In my experience, for these two parameters, I trust Hanna's test kits, which unfortunately are not available for use with the RB lab. My second choice is Salifert, but it's not available for Nitrate or Phosphate testing with the RB lab. This leaves me with the Redsea phosphate test, which, in my opinion, is quite unstable, along with TM or API Nitrate tests. Adding Hanna's and Salifert tests would be more important, in my opinion, than adding new parameters and tests that we see updated semi-weekly in the tests tab.

Lastly, regarding the dosing syringe, while it eliminates the need for frequent chamber calibrations, why not consider replacing both syringes with stepper pumps for collecting and draining water and reagents? This change could make the device smaller in size, and the tests would take only a few minutes. I believe this is something RK should seriously consider.

Thank you for taking the time to read my suggestions. I wish RK all the best and want you to know that I'm a very satisfied customer. In the case of new products, I would certainly be a loyal customer, which is why I'm sharing these ideas. I'll continue to provide more ideas whenever they come to mind.
Thank you for the suggestions. I added all to the tracker. I will not be the one to dismiss any idea, I'm just compiling everything so RK can take our many various inputs and do as they see fit.

I feel your pain on the API access. It was at least mine and one others main points that made the Bot viable for our ecosystems. Myself and the other member have both applied for access back in August and have yet to hear anything official from the email request, it was just never answered, bad on RK (the company, not the forum member) in that sense. Until bringing up in the forum Reef Kinetics and via @HadyOsaily in DMs answered that it was undergoing some change, or update or something. It is frustrating when so many other devices provide API support out of the box and doesn't require you to request it.

As RK already replied, I closed out the stepper pump suggestion, but listed it regardless. Maybe the idea will lead to some other kind of ingenuitive idea. @Reef Kinetics While it would be a major design change and couldn't be implemented in the current Bot, but maybe something along the lines of each reagent has it's own pump and instead of the syringes on the carriage that moves, the testing chamber moves below each reagent so that it could be pumped into the chamber. Would minimize the need to rinse syringes. Hardest part would be getting the steppers to drop exactly the precise amounts required for each test.

My idea if they was going to add probe capability it would be via connector or breakout board that will sit in your sump or some other container connected to your system. That way they can keep read all the time vs having to pump water through the Bot. Regardless good idea and was added.

Again, thank you and these are all great ideas, even if they aren't feasible or implementable, at least they were pitched and answered. Possibly giving them ideas for future updates or future products.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
When viewing the Test Tank Results graph it would be nice to adjust the x values. View all the data or a selected date range. Now it seems you can only view graphed data from the last 4 days.
It can be manipulated....some. It is not very precise or customizable. I have suggested to Hady that a connecting line be added to the consolidated graph as they do for the individual tests. I will still add this to the tracker.

Thank you!

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. I added all to the tracker. I will not be the one to dismiss any idea, I'm just compiling everything so RK can take our many various inputs and do as they see fit.
Thanks for keeping track. I am updating them regularly as well!

Erric78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a thought. During titration tests, the syringe will dispense all the reagents in the testing chamber which means that almost every time some reagents will go to waste. If I am performing a redsea alkalinity test manually for example, I would stop when the color changes and return the remaining reagents to the bottle. I think this would easily be performed as you could program the device to stop and return to the vial once the endpoint color is detected.

Erric78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Also, why is it so difficult to test two tanks? Why do I have to delete the device from the first tank before I can add it to the second one? There should be an option for multiple inputs in where each one takes a different water source and we should be able to test the tank that we would like remotely without having to swap the tube

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
I have a thought. During titration tests, the syringe will dispense all the reagents in the testing chamber which means that almost every time some reagents will go to waste. If I am performing a redsea alkalinity test manually for example, I would stop when the color changes and return the remaining reagents to the bottle. I think this would easily be performed as you could program the device to stop and return to the vial once the endpoint color is detected.
Hello Erric, this requires a firmware change that we are working on for next year's batch as promised by Hady during his live Q&A. We will then provide the update image to our users that would like to flash it on their device's SD cards

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Also, why is it so difficult to test two tanks? Why do I have to delete the device from the first tank before I can add it to the second one? There should be an option for multiple inputs in where each one takes a different water source and we should be able to test the tank that we would like remotely without having to swap the tube
The ReefBot Lab is designed to test one tank at a time. The option to control multiple tanks is available for users who have multiple devices and tanks, and it allows them to manage all their tanks from one place. However, this feature is more of a "hack" due to the flexibility of the mobile app. The concept of testing multiple tanks and keeping track of their records through one device was previously implemented in the ReefBot Pro device, which had different and additional mechanisms to make this possible.

Last edited:

Erric78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The ReefBot Lab is designed to test one tank at a time. The option to control multiple tanks is available for users who have multiple devices and tanks, and it allows them to manage all their tanks from one place. However, this feature is more of a "hack" due to the flexibility of the mobile app. The concept of testing multiple tanks and keeping track of their records through one device was previously implemented in the ReefBot Pro device, which had different and additional mechanisms to make this possible.
If the Pro is discontinued, why can't its tasks be transferred and available with the ReefBot Lab? I'm sorry but I don't find this as a good excuse..

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
If the Pro is discontinued, why can't its tasks be transferred and available with the ReefBot Lab? I'm sorry but I don't find this as a good excuse..
Hello Erric,

The ReefBot Pro is available on demand for shop owners. However, testing two water sources simultaneously would require additional pumps, testing chambers, and other mechanisms which are not currently feasible with the design of the ReefBot Lab.

That said, you can still save two tanks on the mobile app and assign the device to the one you would like to test. Although, the current design would require you to switch the inlet tube from one tank to the other when you wish to test. We understand that this can be inconvenient, but we promise to make the navigation through tanks easier on the mobile app soon.

Thank you for your understanding.

Erric78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, if this thread is still active, I'd like to propose a minor adjustment. I've recently observed corrosion and salt accumulation above the main limit switch. It is positioned below the mixing chamber, so even a slight overfilling, splatter from the magnets, or droplet from the dosing syringe could affect it. I suggest relocating this limit switch to avoid such issues.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, if this thread is still active, I'd like to propose a minor adjustment. I've recently observed corrosion and salt accumulation above the main limit switch. It is positioned below the mixing chamber, so even a slight overfilling, splatter from the magnets, or droplet from the dosing syringe could affect it. I suggest relocating this limit switch to avoid such issues.
Good idea. I did notice the location as well as being less than ideal when doing maintenance. Good idea. I'll add it for RK to review.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Eric,

Thank you for your suggestion. Indeed, this issue has been encountered by some of our users. We've already addressed this concern by altering the limit switch position on the newer devices. Currently, we're exploring the simplest method for users who are interested to adjust the switch‘s position without affecting the syringe’s alignment.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Good idea. I did notice the location as well as being less than ideal when doing maintenance. Good idea. I'll add it for RK to review.
Thank you very much, Frank, for keeping track of all suggestions. Please mark this as "In Progress".

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Erric, this requires a firmware change that we are working on for next year's batch as promised by Hady during his live Q&A. We will then provide the update image to our users that would like to flash it on their device's SD cards
Just as I was about to add a new thing to the tracker I wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything, but now that I reread your reply about the firmware change, does this mean all the current Bot in use can't be updated to prevent the waste?

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
I have received word that the API access has been scrapped. Sadly, it took 6 months from when I was told it was available and requesting access to it being totally scrapped. So on that I will add it to the list of requested features.

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Just as I was about to add a new thing to the tracker I wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything, but now that I reread your reply about the firmware change, does this mean all the current Bot in use can't be updated to prevent the waste?
Hello Frank, this is not ready nor was implemented on newer devices yet. As for firmware changes, usually, users can update their units by installing the new ones to the SD cards inside their units only

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello Frank, this is not ready nor was implemented on newer devices yet. As for firmware changes, usually, users can update their units by installing the new ones to the SD cards inside their units only
That's good. I know that is easy enough for anyone to be able to access and do as it is on top near the doser heads.

OP
OP
Inamo

Inamo

View Badges
Reaction score
If you made a unit that was smaller and only tested Po4 and No3 - and could test once a day for 30 days without maintenance… I feel like you would sell that like hotcakes.

Most of the other params I don’t worry about and Trident tests CA, Alk, Mg… the 2 tests I want are No3 & Po4.

This is not a criticism, I seriously have been wanting a device to automate testing those 2 elements and just feel that would be a popular device, so hopefully this is a helpful post.

The idea of a smaller tester is not bad, especially one that could supplement and integrate into the Apex (or other) ecosystem and fill in the missing tests. It also could be seen as a 'budget friendly' device, especially if more could be added to the system later to add more test capabilities. This would allow people who are unwilling/unsure to drop ~$1300 all at once, or their requirements might change/expand. I think RK should seriously consider this. In fact, I'll add this to the suggestion tracker.

Also, @Reef Kinetics if there is anything on the tracker that should be updated as approved, disapproved, or pending?

Last edited:

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Me regularly visiting this thread to take points and mention them in the R&D meeting
Excited Too Many Cooks GIF

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back