Upgrade from 75 gallons sumpless to custom 110 gallons + sump

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I learned the hard way that filefish also eat expensive rock flower anemones….

I had three, two are gone. He ate a green one and a green/yellow one and left the orange one. There isn’t much I can do, I guess I’ll lose it as well. Sigh.
OUCH, that hurts.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaeto is in refugium with Tunze 8831 light ! It tumbles by itself, I’m amazed…. I set it up from 7pm to 3 am (8 hours) to start and I’ll gradually increase to 12 hours. Not that it really matters I suppose but going slow with light is a habit…

I had trouble hooking the Govee smart plug to wifi but now it’s working. For some reason it says bluetooth is not connected. I’ll have to test it remote too.

I got some Hanna reagents and measured my nitrates. They’re at 21.6 ppm and phosphate is 0.21. So now I’ll be waiting to see what effect the chaeto has on them in the long run.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this wasn’t chaeto it is Dragons Nest (Gracilaria Parvispora). The store is sending me some chaeto next week. I’m tumbling this red macroalgae, we’ll see how it does.

I underestimated the amount of evaporated water per week. It’s just too much for me to keep bringing buckets from downstairs where my rodi setup is, as I have health problems.

So I’ve asked the guy who installed my tank to build a custom solution to have rodi pumped directly in my ATO reservoir. It’s also going to allow me to have rodi ready for mixing salt on the first floor, instead of having to carry buckets from the basement.

And while we’re at it, I’m adding an Aquatic Life smart rodi pump booster to my setup. It should be done before the end of the month.

I will be using the lights at 40%-45% for a while still, to let the system stabilize. If I try to raise it, I see oxygen bubbles popping on the rocks, probably a sign of diatoms.

So no corals as long as I can’t turn the lights on. But that’s okay, I’m in no hurry.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I accused an innocent. I can still see 2 RFA in my tank and I believe I may even have at least one baby. I saw this very small rock flower anemone, identical to one I have.

It’s a very back picture, more for size. I’ll take a better one soon.

It could also be an existing RFA that had disappeared.
1707964404525.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I must say having a sump doesn’t make reefing any simpler, like I thought it would. It must be because I’m not fluent with my new system yet, but there is something to fix, adjust or readjust every day.

Today I realized the hinges on the stand are starting to rust. Gotta take care of that tomorrow. I’ll be using Vaseline to coat them.

I tried some washable filter floss and it screwed my skimmer and water level, because it’s not porous enough. Had to fix that.

There is hair algae growing in the refugium. Wasn’t too sure about what to do : leave it or kill it ? Tomorrow I’ll put a turbo snail in there.

Skimmer is not skimming how I like. It’s always too wet, when it’s skimming. I can either adjust the air intake, the water level or the speed and that’s just too many variables. I’ll get it one day but for now I’m constantly having to fiddle with it.

But the worst is the ATO having to be constantly refilled. It’s a 10 gallons tank but since it’s winter, the air is very dry. Having to carry buckets up the stair is very hard for me.

So I’m having an automated rodi filling system installed and I just can’t wait. It’s an Aquatic life smart booster pump on a smart plug with a selenoid. This will keep my reservoir filled at all time and I will also be able to use it to fill a separate bucket to make my saltwater, for my WC.

So yeah, basically I would say this system is 2-3 times more work than my previous, sumpless tank. The goal is to have an easy, simple to take care of system, so hopefully I’ll get there within the next few months.

tsharpe291

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure one day it will settle in. the more water volume the more gear the more things to go wrong. reefing seems like a hobby of tinkering.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I must say having a sump doesn’t make reefing any simpler, like I thought it would. It must be because I’m not fluent with my new system yet, but there is something to fix, adjust or readjust every day.

Today I realized the hinges on the stand are starting to rust. Gotta take care of that tomorrow. I’ll be using Vaseline to coat them.

I tried some washable filter floss and it screwed my skimmer and water level, because it’s not porous enough. Had to fix that.

There is hair algae growing in the refugium. Wasn’t too sure about what to do : leave it or kill it ? Tomorrow I’ll put a turbo snail in there.

Skimmer is not skimming how I like. It’s always too wet, when it’s skimming. I can either adjust the air intake, the water level or the speed and that’s just too many variables. I’ll get it one day but for now I’m constantly having to fiddle with it.

But the worst is the ATO having to be constantly refilled. It’s a 10 gallons tank but since it’s winter, the air is very dry. Having to carry buckets up the stair is very hard for me.

So I’m having an automated rodi filling system installed and I just can’t wait. It’s an Aquatic life smart booster pump on a smart plug with a selenoid. This will keep my reservoir filled at all time and I will also be able to use it to fill a separate bucket to make my saltwater, for my WC.

So yeah, basically I would say this system is 2-3 times more work than my previous, sumpless tank. The goal is to have an easy, simple to take care of system, so hopefully I’ll get there within the next few months.
hopefully things are running smoother

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It will get easier over time.
Sumps can be a source of, well, the only way I can put it is too much information.
You can make it as easy or complicated as you want.
Before the internet we had to read a book.
Now you can easily confuse the crap out of yourself in a matter of seconds.
Don't know if that makes sense but you'll get it where you want it, I know you will and soon you'll say why didn't I have this always! ;)

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hopefully things are running smoother
Yes and no. I’m a very observant and analytical person and it seems like there are changes within the sump happening without apparent cause.

Today it started being noisy, for no reason that I can find. There is this water dripping noise that is just driving me nuts. The overflow box also started making noise and I had to change the way I always adjusted it. No idea why.

This is frustrating.
Don't know if that makes sense but you'll get it where you want it, I know you will and soon you'll say why didn't I have this always!
I can’t wait for this to happen !

I had my automated rodi system installed. It’s a big help as I don’t have to carry buckets anymore. But the automated parts cannot be used as the float valve seems to be defective. I am not strong enough to remove it and fix it so I have to wait for the LFS to come back. The store is far away so they have to wait until they have another customer in the area.

Also, there was a leak on the 2-way hose splitter they installed for the rodi unit and booster pump. I tightened it but now I am not trusting it until proven otherwise.

Sigh. The fact that I am home all day makes it worse but something new happens everyday.

Oh, and I can’t get that dang skimmer to work properly. It is sooooo sensitive. It toggles between not skimming and overflowing…

Tomorrow I’m expecting an order of pods and a pom pom crab. I can’t wait to see this little guy in the tank !

On the good side, fish are doing well, BTA and corals also. Except two that I lost.

This is quite the adventure. It keeps me busy for sure. :)

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. I’m a very observant and analytical person and it seems like there are changes within the sump happening without apparent cause.

Today it started being noisy, for no reason that I can find. There is this water dripping noise that is just driving me nuts. The overflow box also started making noise and I had to change the way I always adjusted it. No idea why.

This is frustrating.

I had my automated rodi system installed. It’s a big help as I don’t have to carry buckets anymore. But the automated parts cannot be used as the float valve seems to be defective. I am not strong enough to remove it and fix it so I have to wait for the LFS to come back. The store is far away so they have to wait until they have another customer in the area.

Also, there was a leak on the 2-way hose splitter they installed for the rodi unit and booster pump. I tightened it but now I am not trusting it until proven otherwise.

Sigh. The fact that I am home all day makes it worse but something new happens everyday.

Oh, and I can’t get that dang skimmer to work properly. It is sooooo sensitive. It toggles between not skimming and overflowing…

Tomorrow I’m expecting an order of pods and a pom pom crab. I can’t wait to see this little guy in the tank !

On the good side, fish are doing well, BTA and corals also. Except two that I lost.

What skimmer?
I was reading through, did I miss that?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer?
I was reading through, did I miss that?
I might have talked about it in someone else’s thread. It’s a Simplicity DC240. I did my homework before buying it and lots of people love it. It is really silent, I have to admit that. But until I can set it and forget, it’s really getting on my nerves…

How about a picture of what it looks like right now.
The sump.
Okay, I’ll do that tomorrow. Now going to bed. :)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is frustrating.

well that sounds like a bit of a rollercoaster. hopefully you do get to that point your wanting with the automation. So far having a sump doesn't sound like it's easier to maintain than a sumpless tank, I run a canister on my 75 gallon.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far having a sump doesn't sound like it's easier to maintain than a sumpless tank, I run a canister on my 75 gallon.
So far, no it isn’t. At all.

@00W here is a video of the noise in the sump. You can see it’s coming from the waterfall in the refugium. It used to be a soft waterfall but then it increased and became untolerable (for me).

I tried removing or moving the refugium light to see if it helped and it didn’t.

I’ve read about Enkamat and want to get some but there isn’t any around here. I’ll go to the hardware store to see if they have something similar.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far, no it isn’t. At all.

@00W here is a video of the noise in the sump. You can see it’s coming from the waterfall in the refugium. It used to be a soft waterfall but then it increased and became untolerable (for me).

I tried removing or moving the refugium light to see if it helped and it didn’t.

I’ve read about Enkamat and want to get some but there isn’t any around here. I’ll go to the hardware store to see if they have something similar.

doesn't sound too loud

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have talked about it in someone else’s thread. It’s a Simplicity DC240. I did my homework before buying it and lots of people love it. It is really silent, I have to admit that. But until I can set it and forget, it’s really getting on my nerves…

Okay, I’ll do that tomorrow. Now going to bed. :)
Okay I ran the same skimmer for a few months.
I had the same problem.
Let me wake up and I'll check out the video and tell you what I did to it. ;)

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is. It’s all I can hear in my living room. It’s driving me mad.
ya sorry to hear that... from what I've noticed when I visited other reefers with sumps is that it sounds like a washroom flushing all the time...it would drive me crazy

jdthome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current build is similar in size to yours. I have open sump and tank. My evaporation is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 gallons a week. Is that on par with what you are seeing? I'm wondering if that is about the right loss in the winter and dry air.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back