Upgrading tank, have a few questions.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I'm finaly getting a new tank to replace my current leaking one.
But I have a few questions. I've read a ton of threads about upgrading.
My first one is should I put in some bio balls that I have to get some culture to put in the tank along with the rock so I can avoid a mini cycle. I am going to wash my sand.
Also how should I move the anenome?

And in what order should I do everything?
I'd like to get it all done in one day(saturday)
The new tank is going to be where the blue bench on the right is.

16974137941018901106230826014723.jpg

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see an issue with rinsing the sand but using new sand would be easier. Unless the bio-balls have established bacteria, I doubt they'll make much difference.
If it were me, I'd transfer about half the water, then arrange the rocks, then put the sand in, then transfer livestock.
What kind of anenome?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all.
I'm finaly getting a new tank to replace my current leaking one.
But I have a few questions. I've read a ton of threads about upgrading.
My first one is should I put in some bio balls that I have to get some culture to put in the tank along with the rock so I can avoid a mini cycle. I am going to wash my sand.
Also how should I move the anenome?

And in what order should I do everything?
I'd like to get it all done in one day(saturday)
The new tank is going to be where the blue bench on the right is.

16974137941018901106230826014723.jpg
Once the new tank is running, with new sand and new saltwater, you can definitely move everything in one day. In fact if that's the plan, there's no reason to worry about adding extra media (like the bio balls you mentioned) since the rocks you move from the old tank will carry your biofilter to the new tank just fine.

Here's what I would do:
1. Set up the new tank with new sand, and heat water to the same temp as your current tank.
*There's nothing wrong with using some of the old tank water, but have enough new water available just in case you need it.

2. Put lots of towels down on the floor.

3. Have some containers, or a large tote, on standby in case you need to move some things there between tanks.

4. Move as much of the rock and coral as you can from the old tank to the new one, without the remaining water in the old tank getting too cloudy.

*If the old tank water starts to get too cloudy, you'll need to remove your fish and put them in the containers/tote

6. Once enough of the rock is out of the old tank so you can catch the fish, move them over. (You can move the anemone at any point in this process as well... Or with the rock if that's easier).

7. Move whatever is still in the old tank that you want to keep. Move anything in holding containers into the new tank.

8. If you're able to keep the old tank up for another day, let the sand settle and the water clear up, and then look for any inverts that were hiding in the sand. You can also remove the sand and sift through it outside the tank.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently going through this.
New tank is up and full
Have moved some corals
Moved most bio media
Needs more sand but want to use what's in the old tank. So need to rinse it.
I'm more worried about inverts than fish

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, the inverts are also my main thing when it comes to sand I have alot of snails and stuff that hides in it.
I don't see an issue with rinsing the sand but using new sand would be easier. Unless the bio-balls have established bacteria, I doubt they'll make much difference.
If it were me, I'd transfer about half the water, then arrange the rocks, then put the sand in, then transfer livestock.
What kind of anenome?
It's a purple LTA.

Also if I bought more sand could I get some of the Florida live ocean sand? (Forgot what it's called)

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course if I want live ocean sand I could just jump in the canal and grab some.

But I was just wondering if I got the Tampa Bay sand if that would stay clear and add some culture to the tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal suggests. You'll be fine.

I'd get new sand because it is easier. I would not get anything labelled "live".
Exactly. @randomfishdude, if you're going to clean the sand before putting it back in the tank (which will be necessary), you'll kill anything still in it. May as well use new sand, for the convenience, and then play with the old sand until you're satisfied you've found a decent amount of inverts. Many of the micro-inverts that live in the sand will also be living in the rocks and will repopulate quickly in the new tank.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I didn't realize you were the same person posting about the leaky tank... if you end up having more problems between now and Saturday, you can still transfer most of the rock and livestock to a tote/tub with a heater and some flow, and then transfer into the new tank once it's ready.

I would plan on adding the new sand and filling the tank on Friday to give the dust time to settle and/or be filtered out.

And if you're going to need to plumb the tank and test for leaks before putting saltwater in, I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to have the tank delivered Friday and successfully transfer everything by the end of Saturday. (This is especially true if you're planning to use your old sand... It will take 4 times as long as you think it will, to get it clean enough to not poison your new tank...)

Good luck.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just buy new sand!
I just bought 20 lbs of caribsea bimini that cost $65 per bag.
If you can use your old sand do so. I plan on rinsing mine and putting it in the new tank once all live stock is moved over
Sand is more expensive down under!

NoFeedback

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the leak.

No need for additional bio capacity if you match temp and salinity reasonably well. If u think the sand is important to the equation, rinse it with water from the old tank. It doesn't need to be sterile! (not even helpful)

As others have said, if you intend to wash the sand with fresh water, just use new sand.

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I didn't realize you were the same person posting about the leaky tank... if you end up having more problems between now and Saturday, you can still transfer most of the rock and livestock to a tote/tub with a heater and some flow, and then transfer into the new tank once it's ready.

I would plan on adding the new sand and filling the tank on Friday to give the dust time to settle and/or be filtered out.

And if you're going to need to plumb the tank and test for leaks before putting saltwater in, I'm afraid you aren't going to be able to have the tank delivered Friday and successfully transfer everything by the end of Saturday. (This is especially true if you're planning to use your old sand... It will take 4 times as long as you think it will, to get it clean enough to not poison your new tank...)

Good luck.
The sad Part is I'm not going to be home when the tank get here. I'm going to get home at 11 or so Friday so the tank will alrety be in my bedroom.
I think I'll probobly order some dry sand (I want a deeper sandbed for the anenome) and some more rock. Then I'll wake up early on Saturday get everything re-plumbed and whatnot.
Then start transferring fish.

I might put the anenome into the same bucket as my 2 clowns to try one last time of they will host. It might not work but I don't think it would be too wise of a decision for my to get something other than another lta right now when i have such a "small" tank.

Also where do I find a lid for the tank?
The tank is a planet aqurium 90gal. I can probobly temporarily use the big grate i have for my 75 gal.

Here is a pic I got a few months ago of the plumbing of the new tank. It splits from 2 returns and 2 drains.

Screenshot_20231015_212107_Gallery.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sad Part is I'm not going to be home when the tank get here. I'm going to get home at 11 or so Friday so the tank will alrety be in my bedroom.
I think I'll probobly order some dry sand (I want a deeper sandbed for the anenome) and some more rock. Then I'll wake up early on Saturday get everything re-plumbed and whatnot.
Then start transferring fish.

I might put the anenome into the same bucket as my 2 clowns to try one last time of they will host. It might not work but I don't think it would be too wise of a decision for my to get something other than another lta right now when i have such a "small" tank.

The tank is a planet aqurium 90gal. I can probobly temporarily use the big grate i have for my 75 gal.

Here is a pic I got a few months ago of the plumbing of the new tank. It splits from 2 returns and 2 drains.

Screenshot_20231015_212107_Gallery.jpg
Can you pay the LFS to plumb it for you? And fill it? Having done a recent tank upgrade/transfer, I can say that everything will take longer than you expect. If you have time, look at my build thread - and I used new sand that I also rinsed. It took a while for the water to clear up even with a special filter.

If you can have someone plumb it and provide the saltwater to fill it, you can probably just move the rocks/coral/fish over and leave it bare bottom until you are able to slowly add the sand (either new or rinsed).

Wish Texas wasn't so big or I'd offer to come help you :)

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you pay the LFS to plumb it for you? And fill it? Having done a recent tank upgrade/transfer, I can say that everything will take longer than you expect. If you have time, look at my build thread - and I used new sand that I also rinsed. It took a while for the water to clear up even with a special filter.

If you can have someone plumb it and provide the saltwater to fill it, you can probably just move the rocks/coral/fish over and leave it bare bottom until you are able to slowly add the sand (either new or rinsed).

Wish Texas wasn't so big or I'd offer to come help you :)
I don't think my lfs comes out this far sadly. But maybe I just do all the plumbing on saturday then add some new sand and rock, then add fish and stuff Sunday. I have the entire weekend. Luckily I have help whenever I need.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might put the anenome into the same bucket as my 2 clowns to try one last time of they will host.

Do lta's actually host clownfish? (They very well may, but I'm not sure. My clowns took about a year to notice the BTA in my tank...)

Lid like glass lids? You can look into Aqueon and see if they have the right size. Or you can ask the LFS to contact planet and see if you can purchase some from them. Personally, living near Houston, I only use glass lids when it gets cold (so, like maybe 2 months out of 12, lol) since they hold in heat. My tank gets way too hot if I try to use glass lids most of the year. I currently have black egg crate on top of mine.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back