OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do lta's actually host clownfish? (They very well may, but I'm not sure. My clowns took about a year to notice the BTA in my tank...)

Lid like glass lids? You can look into Aqueon and see if they have the right size. Or you can ask the LFS to contact planet and see if you can purchase some from them. Personally, living near Houston, I only use glass lids when it gets cold (so, like maybe 2 months out of 12, lol) since they hold in heat. My tank gets way too hot if I try to use glass lids most of the year. I currently have black egg crate on top of mine.
LTAs rarely host clowns. But just a mesh lid.
I've always thought glass ones were bad for air exchange otherwise I would alrety have a lid for my 75 gal.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste money on a bag of live sand. Just buy the dry version
^^^ This. The ONLY reason I bought "live" sand for my new build is because it was on sale at the time and actually cost less than the dry. But, you WILL need to rinse dry sand pretty well unless you plan on adding a micron filter to the tank to clear up the water.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought glass ones were bad for air exchange otherwise I would alrety have a lid for my 75 gal.
What are the dimensions of the new tank? I have a screen kit still in the packaging that I'm not going to use (ended up having my tank custom built at 60"x30" and the kit is for 60x24)

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the new tank? I have a screen kit still in the packaging that I'm not going to use (ended up having my tank custom built at 60"x30" and the kit is for 60x24)
I don't remember exactly. I know it's smaller than that. I might just take my current lid bend it up and whatnot to make it fit.
Also what is your build thread I tried to find it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For future reference, you can click here on any profile that has the badge and it will take you to the build thread.
Screenshot_20231015-214625.png

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For future reference, you can click here on any profile that has the badge and it will take you to the build thread.
Screenshot_20231015-214625.png
Well that's usefully to know. Thank you.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use glass lids on my 75 gallon, no issues with air exchange, but I do have cut outs for my skimmer and canister lines.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a sump, you won't have any problem with gas exchange.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I prefer sand labeled as "live" just because here you never know where the other stuff comes from. At least the brand can be consistent and when I say in water I mean a sealed container with bacteria inside.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, the inverts are also my main thing when it comes to sand I have alot of snails and stuff that hides in it.

It's a purple LTA.

Also if I bought more sand could I get some of the Florida live ocean sand? (Forgot what it's called)
Tampa bay salt water and yes best purchase I've ever made for my reef

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course if I want live ocean sand I could just jump in the canal and grab some.

But I was just wondering if I got the Tampa Bay sand if that would stay clear and add some culture to the tank.
Yes I set up a new 75 with just 20 pounds of tbsw and 20 pounds tbsw live rock added to dry sand and dry Rock. Added fish and coral including acro week 1. No hickups at all. No algae .

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I set up a new 75 with just 20 pounds of tbsw and 20 pounds tbsw live rock added to dry sand and dry Rock. Added fish and coral including acro week 1. No hickups at all. No algae .
I might get some tbs rock if I can afford it. I started this tank in 1 week with dry rock. Had some cromis and hermit crabs in week one then week 2 a hammerhead. But I just got my first acro 2 weeks ago.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i going to haft to re-acclimate my fish and inverts?
i plan to reuse as much water as passable but i haft to get some new water since the tank is bigger.
Acclimate to temp if it's different from what they're in right before the transfer (e.g. if they're in a temporary container). Make sure salinity matches, and that's about it.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, the inverts are also my main thing when it comes to sand I have alot of snails and stuff that hides in it.

It's a purple LTA.

Also if I bought more sand could I get some of the Florida live ocean sand? (Forgot what it's called)
I would use your old sand without rinsing it, its stuff in sand, and around a tank, that makes a tank a mature tank

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, that can kill his reef. Making that recommend implies it’s ok for everyone to mess with sand without consequence, but that’s not true. Owing to the clear link below, and fifty other searchable ones, how can anyone be told to skip sand rinse prep

and then for contrast heres sixty pages of successful tank transfers

what’s the #1 thing 200 reef tanks did to make those successful transfers?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is the majority of non rinsed tank transfers go fine, but not all. Mixed among public presentation tanks are the ones with deadly waste in the bed not harming anything until it gets all mixed up from the move job= the first example above

100% of rinsed tank transfers go fine, so which is the safest thing to recommend to others for the action

OP
OP
randomfishdude

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The truth is the majority of non rinsed tank transfers go fine, but not all. Mixed among public presentation tanks are the ones with deadly waste in the bed not harming anything until it gets all mixed up from the move job= the first example above

100% of rinsed tank transfers go fine, so which is the safest thing to recommend to others for the action
I'm pretty shure I have a dead goby decomposing in the sand somewhere along with a bunch of other stuff. So it definately is not a good idea for me to stir that stuff up.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back