Watchman goby

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so quick question here. All of my other tank inhabitants have grown over the past 6 months, since I got them. Except for my yellow watchman goby. He looks happy/healthy. Eats from his burrow entrance, but RARELY comes out and about. I know that part is pretty normal, but are they typically very slow growers as well? Just curious here.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that over the past 6 months that I have seen yellow goby s at my LFS they have been very small and do not seem to grow much during their time at the shop. I asked my LFS about this and he said they all seem small now with very few larger size ones showing up at the wholesale.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he needs a shrimp companion?
Yeah, I have thought very seriously about that several times. But I already have a diamond goby who has his way with the sand constantly, not sure I am ready for another sand throwing critter, and I worry about it's ability to kill other tanks mates he feels threatened by, simply by snapping his claw together.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, so quick question here. All of my other tank inhabitants have grown over the past 6 months, since I got them. Except for my yellow watchman goby. He looks happy/healthy. Eats from his burrow entrance, but RARELY comes out and about. I know that part is pretty normal, but are they typically very slow growers as well? Just curious here.
Mine is in Quarantine. I was told they are small about 2 inches tops mine is about 1 inch. Same likes to hide if it sees you but have caught it perched on the pipe fitting I put in the tank. Once even exploring. But it is by itself

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have thought very seriously about that several times. But I already have a diamond goby who has his way with the sand constantly, not sure I am ready for another sand throwing critter, and I worry about it's ability to kill other tanks mates he feels threatened by, simply by snapping his claw together.
I don't really worry about little chances like that from small inhabitants. I just figure the fish in the tank act somewhat similar to what they do in the ocean. They know their capabilities and limitations and know who might be a threat so they act accordingly. Eventually they all get more comfortable around each other and rarely something happens. I watch my banded shrimp move right over my sleeping mandarin at night with no issues at all.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My YWG grew fairly quickly from 2" to about 4" the first year and then over the next year + to 5". I didn't notice any growth changes when he was without shrimp (die off) but he would turn a greyish white-yellow without one so I know there's some stress without one. Also was much more active outside of hole with shrimp. But if yours is happy and healthy and your ok with no shrimp sand dozers, I'd go with it.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chances of a Tiger pistol shrimp killing other fish is slim to none. I’ve got 2 firefish that often hunker down in the same burrow with my Tiger and YWG.

It will however, move every last grain of sand in your tank until he finds a favorite spot, then it will stay fairly localized.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chances of a Tiger pistol shrimp killing other fish is slim to none. I’ve got 2 firefish that often hunker down in the same burrow with my Tiger and YWG.

It will however, move every last grain of sand in your tank until he finds a favorite spot, then it will stay fairly localized.
So now with this conversation, I am again thinking about betting one. Any idea which is best to pair with a watchman? I like the Randall's pistol.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now with this conversation, I am again thinking about betting one. Any idea which is best to pair with a watchman? I like the Randall's pistol.
I had a Randall’s at one time. Maybe still do. I don’t know. Put him in the tank months ago, saw him for 10 seconds, and didn’t see him again for over a month, and haven’t seen him since. I see and hear the Tiger every day, but in all fairness he’s 10x bigger.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what really makes me want one!
So another question on this subject for anyone who might know. I also have a Diamond goby, who is about 3 times the size of the watchman, they share a burrow together, but the diamond is a bit of a bully towards the watchman if he tries to come out at feeding time. How does anyone think this might play out if I throw a randalls pistol shrimp in the mix?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp gobies and pistol shrimps are a lot less reclusive when they have each other from what I've observed.
So another question on this subject for anyone who might know. I also have a Diamond goby, who is about 3 times the size of the watchman, they share a burrow together, but the diamond is a bit of a bully towards the watchman if he tries to come out at feeding time. How does anyone think this might play out if I throw a randalls pistol shrimp in the mix?

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchman hasn’t grown much at all in about nine months. I never see the Randal’s pistol shrimp but I hear him very often.

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, thanks
My yellow watchman hasn’t grown much at all in about nine months. I never see the Randal’s pistol shrimp but I hear him very often.
do you know if they share a burrow together? That is one concern I have is to get the shrimp, only to have them not find/like each other.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back