What’s wrong with my rfa?

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
He’s been excreting white stuff today and all yesterday, is he dying? The snails won’t go near him cuz they don’t think he’s dead. I think

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stewy14 Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is he on then? It looks like a frag plug?
na, he's on the bottom of my heater, just the silicone cap, he can move around any time, and a lot of people use PVC end pipes for their rfa's since they don't move around at all/rarely so I just used that silicone thing instead :D

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
na, he's on the bottom of my heater, just the silicone cap, he can move around any time, and a lot of people use PVC end pipes for their rfa's since they don't move around at all/rarely so I just used that silicone thing instead :D
I understand now. How old is the tank and what are the parameters?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
He’s been excreting white stuff today and all yesterday, is he dying? The snails won’t go near him cuz they don’t think he’s dead. I think
Can you post a clearer picture under white lights?
What lighting do you have and what are the water quality values?
Are the white things threadlike? Those may be mesanterial filaments and a sign it is dying. If the white material looks like mucus sheets, that may be from decomposition.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a clearer picture under white lights?
What lighting do you have and what are the water quality values?
Are the white things threadlike? Those may be mesanterial filaments and a sign it is dying. If the white material looks like mucus sheets, that may be from decomposition.
they are threadlike, but still silky and liquid like, I have a k7 mini and the water values are good from what I checked 40 minutes ago

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m

y tanks 2 months old, about to go to school so cant do parameters rn, but I tested them 40 minutes ago, and they were all fine
No need to test again if you tested 40 minutes ago, those readings are fine.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walker, I'm always thinking, is that your macaw In your profile pic?
No, lol. I wish. When I went to Florida I met up with a dude who had the macaw and he let me hold it and stuff. I just like the picture so thats why it's my PFP.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Assure not too much flow or insufficient light
Also high phosphate

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO,
Assure not too much flow or insufficient light
Also high phosphate
there is no readable phosphate, I upped the light and its opening(a small crack), other quick thing, there are small white flakes on my monti, im thinking decayed food or slime for something, there's a very small amount

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
SO,

there is no readable phosphate, I upped the light and its opening(a small crack), other quick thing, there are small white flakes on my monti, im thinking decayed food or slime for something, there's a very small amount
On the monti, not unusual but verify with Gentle blasts using a turkey baster. Light was my suspect and good to hear it's thus far responding

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Just came back from sports, the nem is still having a little crack of an opening, but that crack is filled with white jello stuff
Can you provide a closer pic under white lighting intensity of the jello you describe?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back