What Is The Average Life Span Of A System In Our Hobby?

What Is The Average Life Span Of A System In Our Hobby?

• Less Than 1 Year

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • 1 To 1.5 Years

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • 1.5 To 2 Years

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • 2 To 3 Years

Votes: 15 15.2%
  • 3 To 5 Years

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • 6+ Years

Votes: 33 33.3%

• Total voters

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Thread/Poll Scotty, I voted 1.5 --> 2 years as feel this probably is a very realistic time frame averaging out the 'Top Gunners' who are very active on the forums with the 'Old Salts' or 'Science Nerds' that have a tendency to be more subtle and successful. I am still amazed at the 'turn-over' rate in this hobby as there are so many credible resources of information to 'do it right' available to anyone. It seems to be IMHO a 'Catch 22' to our 30-90 second sound-bite You-Tube society that few have the patience to really learn anything well or thoroughly before jumping in over ones head.

Even though I have been at this hobby for over 30 years my average unchanged system is probably just 3-4 years with only a few systems over 10 and many a year plus is all. My current system is only just shy of 3 years old though most of the LR and a Coral or two is now over 15. I'm also in the process of replacing just the 60"x24"x20" 125g tank with a 60"x24"x30" 187g with external overflow as soon as I find the time to pick up materials and start the build. This will be just a DT volume upgrade and very little will change. This new tank/sytem will more than likely be around for 20+ as our retirement 'Beach House' will not accommodate any larger... lol

Cheers, Todd

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my display up for nearly 5 yrs before hurricane sandy took the house. my new tank is up and running for a year now... i would like to think my display would be at the 7-8 yr mark but oh well... im already planning on what my tank will be like 10 yrs from now so hopefully God willing i will have a long term 15+ yr tank one day

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
65% of new salt water hobbyist drop out of the hobby. This is a big issue for everyone in the hobby.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tank was a DSB 8" sand that was up for about 5 years. I added a goby that messed with the sand a little to much and crashed the tank. Was able to save some corals and all fish. But was my bad for adding a goby to a DSB. Gave that tank to my brother. He has been using it for about 8 years. That tank is stamped with manufactured date 1999. It's oceanic and pretty thick glass for a 90 gallon.
My next few tanks were SSB with 1-2" sand most up for about 3-5 years. My current one is bare bottom that is up just shy of a year. I plan on keeping this one for 5 or more years.

Last edited:

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if you have a 2" SB and not a DSB.. whats the best way to keep a sb healthy?

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous 90G system was 13 years old when I sold it complete to build the current 100G system which is now 12 years old with its original, unmolested 5-6", 330 lb Southdown DSB. Never been removed or even vacuumed other than the top 1/4" or so and then nly small sections at a time.
My 16G nano was originally set up bare bottom in 1990 but converted to a 3" sand bed about 12-13 years ago and still going strong.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby 19 years. I had two ciclhlid tanks up for 5 years. My first saltwater was up two. My next was up two, and my current has been up for 3. I have had several other tanks that were a year or less. My average probably falls around 2/2.5. I always have the intention for much longer but it turns out that I move a lot more frequently than ever thought i would. I have a problem...might be an addict! As it is now, I have visions for jelly, seahorse, octopus, predator, and planted tanks. I just have to find the space and money to realize these dreams. I'm so invested I'm my reef. I keep saying "let me get it perfect, then I'll start another". Perfection is an elusive mistress in this hobby!

nature786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the biggest factor that would determine how old a system can get other than the normal good husbandry & steady chem levels is stress caused to the system by an outside force.
What I've learned in the past 5 years in this hobby is that moving a Tank or the owner is the worst thing.
I've always lost so much in moves that at the end it made me restart the set up instead of continue to fix the issues.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back