OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both lords and bowerbankis have been moved to different genera; lords to Micromussa, and bowerbankis to Homophyllia (same genus as Australian Scolymia)
True. Though I thought micromoussa were a different species than lords, though that could just he the wholesalers mislabeling then again, micromussa on this website are simply labeled as Acanthastrea sp.
Screenshot_20230929_123428_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230929_123453_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230929_123419_Samsung Internet.jpg

After being on R2R enough, I found this website to be great with quality, bad with labeling lol

Still my go-to seller for wild aussie colonies, though unfortunately only LFS can order through them, I can only look..

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUESTION for @i cant think and @encrustingacro, the next vote will be galaxea vs something else , though I don't know what. I'm thinking either hydnophora with similar aggression and growth, acan enchinata for aggression and entrusting growth or elegance for aggression, though are there any close relatives to galaxea that I'm missing?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUESTION for @i cant think and @encrustingacro, the next vote will be galaxea vs something else , though I don't know what. I'm thinking either hydnophora with similar aggression and growth, acan enchinata for aggression and entrusting growth or elegance for aggression, though are there any close relatives to galaxea that I'm missing?
Galaxea are not related to any of the genera you mentioned; Hydnophora and elegances are merulinids and Acanthastrea are lobophylliids. Galaxea are euphylliids, and are most closely related to Euphyllia, with distant relatives being Fimbriaphyllia, Ctenella, Gyrosmilia, and Coeloseris.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Though I thought micromoussa were a different species than lords, though that could just he the wholesalers mislabeling then again, micromussa on this website are simply labeled as Acanthastrea sp.
Screenshot_20230929_123428_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230929_123453_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230929_123419_Samsung Internet.jpg

After being on R2R enough, I found this website to be great with quality, bad with labeling lol

Still my go-to seller for wild aussie colonies, though unfortunately only LFS can order through them, I can only look..
True; what we call Micromussa are M. amakusensis, and what we call lords are M. lordhowensis. I wouldn't trust vendor and hobbyist IDs as they often misidentify corals and use outdated taxonomy.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galaxea are not related to any of the genera you mentioned; Hydnophora and elegances are merulinids and Acanthastrea are lobophylliids. Galaxea are euphylliids, and are most closely related to Euphyllia, with distant relatives being Fimbriaphyllia, Ctenella, Gyrosmilia, and Coeloseris.
I've been looking for something to put frammers against! Thanks.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going with acan lord for the same reason as mentioned above, a wider selection of colors. For some reason mine have faded in color as compared to when I first introduced them.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back