What is wrong with my anemone

JoeReefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If looked perfectly fine. Long and flowin and now it looks like this. Is there anything to worry about?

image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks deflated. Could be normal or a bad sign. We know nothing about history to make any statements that would help.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything changed parameter wise? You should run some tests to see if anything is out of whack. How long has it been like that?

OP
OP
J

JoeReefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anything changed parameter wise? You should run some tests to see if anything is out of whack. How long has it been like that?
It was perfectly fine super long and then I turned the light on and he shriveled up

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first day you've had it? It could be adjusting to your lighting and parameters. I would still test salinity, nitrates, phosphates, temp, dKh so you have a baseline. But trying to understand how long of a time period we are looking at

OP
OP
J

JoeReefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the first day you've had it? It could be adjusting to your lighting and parameters. I would still test salinity, nitrates, phosphates, temp, dKh so you have a baseline. But trying to understand how long of a time period we are looking at
I’ve had it since Saturday and he was big and really good looking until this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpeg
    IMG_0451.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 24

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just based on the pictures, your setup appears to be pretty new. Anenomes really prefer clean water without excessive nutrients, bright lighting (if it can grow lps or acros it should be ok for an anenome) and good flow. Adding an anenome in a new tank usually doesn't go so well. You may lack the proper lighting, or you need better flow. It also could just be pooping.
I would still be running tests so you can rule out any water chemistry issues. They also need some time to adapt to your system. It'll wander around while it finds a spot that meets its needs as far as lighting and flow are concerned.
@OrionN is quite adept at anenome care, but it's hard to provide more direction without some parameters or info on equipment /age of tank etc.

Generally speaking, anenomes aren't beginner animals.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If looked perfectly fine. Long and flowin and now it looks like this. Is there anything to worry about?

image.jpg
From the looks of that rock work, is this a fairly new tank? If so, He shouldn't even be in it. Nems are VERY sensitive and need an established tank.

OP
OP
J

JoeReefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Just based on the pictures, your setup appears to be pretty new. Anenomes really prefer clean water without excessive nutrients, bright lighting (if it can grow lps or acros it should be ok for an anenome) and good flow. Adding an anenome in a new tank usually doesn't go so well. You may lack the proper lighting, or you need better flow. It also could just be pooping.
I would still be running tests so you can rule out any water chemistry issues. They also need some time to adapt to your system. It'll wander around while it finds a spot that meets its needs as far as lighting and flow are concerned.
@OrionN is quite adept at anenome care, but it's hard to provide more direction without some parameters or info on equipment /age of tank etc.

OP
OP
J

JoeReefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

image.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones occasionally deflate. As long as it reinflated and does not continue this cycle then it is fine. However, sick anemone will continue to deflate in hope of getting rid the "sickness" or infection out of its body. BTA are pretty resilience and should do fine if your tank is stable and established. Worry if this continues.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back