What tank should I trust after an Innovative Marine EXT 200 leak?

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Innovative Marine 200 EXT leaked. Back right corner on the bottom. Tank was level. Not sure why. Innovative Marine was not sure why. I cannot find any other IM 200 tank that has leaked.
The pallet it was delivered on last year was destroyed under the back right corner but the box the tank was in was intact. Perhaps that somehow was the cause. Not sure. You can see the video in my build thread.

Now I have a decision to make. The replacement tank from IM is in the garage. Do I:

1. Use the replacement tank and start over again and hope this was a fluke leak. A little hard to trust Innovative Marine tanks now but I want to. It costs $0.
2. Buy waterbox tank of same size for over $6K
3. Buy custom tank. Quote from glass cages for same size was over $10k (did include armor seams, steel stand with leveling feet, etc).
4. Give up and sell everything (this is my 2nd leak, 1st was redsea 425 XL). This was is harder since I lost all my large SPS this time.

Let me know your thoughts.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally buy custom if you really feel nervous about the replacement im200.

Any tank manufactuer has its off days and share of failures but the fact that it was a seemingly painless (as far as communication) 0 cost warranty replacement is a big thumbs up for the company imo but I can understand the concern due to livestock loss and all the collateral damage.

Sure the 10k is a steep upfront cost but if this going to be your dream tank then it's a small price to pay for the extra heavy duty build over the massed produced aquariums.

The only other alternative that's essentially bulletproof (or literally depending on thickness) is acrylic but since theres no mention of it i'll assume it's completely out of consideration.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Innovative Marine 200 EXT leaked. Back right corner on the bottom. Tank was level. Not sure why. Innovative Marine was not sure why. I cannot find any other IM 200 tank that has leaked.
The pallet it was delivered on last year was destroyed under the back right corner but the box the tank was in was intact. Perhaps that somehow was the cause. Not sure. You can see the video in my build thread.

Now I have a decision to make. The replacement tank from IM is in the garage. Do I:

1. Use the replacement tank and start over again and hope this was a fluke leak. A little hard to trust Innovative Marine tanks now but I want to. It costs $0.
3. Buy custom tank. Quote from glass cages for same size was over $10k (did include armor seams, steel stand with leveling feet, etc).
4. Give up and sell everything (this is my 2nd leak, 1st was redsea 425 XL). This was is harder since I lost all my large SPS this time.

Waterbox is a good solid tank, consider them.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally buy custom if you really feel nervous about the replacement im200.

Any tank manufactuer has its off days and share of failures but the fact that it was a seemingly painless (as far as communication) 0 cost warranty replacement is a big thumbs up for the company imo but I can understand the concern due to livestock loss and all the collateral damage.

Sure the 10k is a steep upfront cost but if this going to be your dream tank then it's a small price to pay for the extra heavy duty build over the massed produced aquariums.

The only other alternative that's essentially bulletproof (or literally depending on thickness) is acrylic but since theres no mention of it i'll assume it's completely out of consideration.
Definitely considering it. 10k is a lot but not if you think about having it for a couple decades. Tough decision.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see many IM failures and would assume the chances of a 3rd failure are extremely unlikely.

That said, I think that you answered your own question. If you can't sleep then you can't sleep.

If that is the case, then Glass Cages is a very good choice.

Good luck!

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see many IM failures and would assume the chances of a 3rd failure are extremely unlikely.

That said, I think that you answered your own question. If you can't sleep then you can't sleep.

If that is the case, then Glass Cages is a very good choice.

Good luck!
That is what bourbon and Advil PM is for!

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is what bourbon and Advil PM is for!

Honestly I really think a new IM will be fine. They build great tanks.

Can always get an apex/hydros with a leak detector setup for some peace of mind. I have mine mounted under the edge of the tank on the back and the. Under the stand on the front. Full coverage and hidden.

That said if you still think you’d stress over that and have the cash get a custom made tank. But even that could get damaged in shipment and fail later. You just don’t know.

Whatever you do end up doing. Don’t get a Red Sea lol

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only reason I would switch is if you want something bigger. IM makes a legit tank and it's gotta be the damage from shipping.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Check in see if you have a warranty on the IM replacement tank, if so save the money and try them again with the replacement tank if you want, I had a tank from IM which the glass cracked and water was all over my floor, and they gave me a replacement tank in a different better setup which was good.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to see the support for IM!!!! I have a 20g and hopefully a 100g in the near future (5yrs) I love the 20g and it is built wonderfully imo. The fail had to be due to shipping imo. Be very vigilant about that next time! I would say damage on next crate refuse delivery and get a new one sent out! Don’t take any chances!

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So glad to see the support for IM!!!! I have a 20g and hopefully a 100g in the near future (5yrs) I love the 20g and it is built wonderfully imo. The fail had to be due to shipping imo. Be very vigilant about that next time! I would say damage on next crate refuse delivery and get a new one sent out! Don’t take any chances!
This is it. Pretty much every major tank shipper has it in their terms of receiving that once you accept the tank, you acknowledge that you accept it as is since you're technically supposed to inspect the entire thing before accepting delivery. Unfortunately, large tanks enclosed in thick plywood, Styrofoam and shrink wrap are not practical to "at a glance" inspect so it's often the case that hairline cracks that exist can go unnoticed, along with any seals. I'd also put a vote in for giving the IM a second try. Some companies make you jump through hoops before they replace the entire unit, so the fact IM already did (if I'm reading your post correctly) is a positive sign in my book.

Did you discover the tank already empty? It sounds like you don't have your corals anymore, but I could be misreading

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I really think a new IM will be fine. They build great tanks.

Can always get an apex/hydros with a leak detector setup for some peace of mind. I have mine mounted under the edge of the tank on the back and the. Under the stand on the front. Full coverage and hidden.

That said if you still think you’d stress over that and have the cash get a custom made tank. But even that could get damaged in shipment and fail later. You just don’t know.

Whatever you do end up doing. Don’t get a Red Sea lol
Good idea. I have a full hydros system already. I had a leak detector in the sump area but I will be getting another one and placing it under the edge just like you mentioned.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it. Pretty much every major tank shipper has it in their terms of receiving that once you accept the tank, you acknowledge that you accept it as is since you're technically supposed to inspect the entire thing before accepting delivery. Unfortunately, large tanks enclosed in thick plywood, Styrofoam and shrink wrap are not practical to "at a glance" inspect so it's often the case that hairline cracks that exist can go unnoticed, along with any seals. I'd also put a vote in for giving the IM a second try. Some companies make you jump through hoops before they replace the entire unit, so the fact IM already did (if I'm reading your post correctly) is a positive sign in my book.

Did you discover the tank already empty? It sounds like you don't have your corals anymore, but I could be misreading
I had contacted IM immediately about the crate/pallet damage last year and they said it should be fine. Who knows. They were great about sending the replacement within a week.

I got lucky with the leak. I caught in within minutes. It leaked onto a plug which tripped my GFCI and shut everything down and then my hydros system alarmed immediately. I saved all the fish and most the corals except my large acros.

OP
OP
tritonpower

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check in see if you have a warranty on the IM replacement tank, if so save the money and try them again with the replacement tank if you want, I had a tank from IM which the glass cracked and water was all over my floor, and they gave me a replacement tank in a different better setup which was good.
IM warranty is from time of original tank delivery. So my warranty will be shorter for this new tank but still over 2 years which is not bad.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be inclined to trust the replacement tank but if it makes the difference between sleeping and not, then go custom. I like Custom Aquariums. They make rimmed tanks to last a lifetime. I would never go rimless on a tank that big personally.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s because you keep buying the same thing from different companies.
I wouldn’t trust ANY TANK from ANY MANUFACTURER that doesn’t have some kind of supports, whether that be euro bracing or a trim around the top or bottom.
Without anything actually holding the tank together besides silicone this is just bound to happen. all these tanks are structurally waiting to fail.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 27.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back