Where To Buy Giant Live Rock/Dry Rock Pieces?

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you everyone for the ideas so far - they are inspiring, and let's keep them coming...

For anyone new checking the thread out,due to my terrible laziness, I'd still be interested to know your source for XXL live rock pieces.... :)

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that's what I have in my tank and it came in a few big chunks. A side note though, the holes were full of sand and I spent a good bit of time with my pressure washer getting it cleaned out. If you don't have a pressure washer I could see it taking a long time.
car wash

ShawnSaucier

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can still order custom sized rocks from some of the Fl distributors. Just google Fl Dry Reef Rock and the places will pop up.
I just did a reboot on my system, for no reason other than wanting to go a different direction and to improve flow. I have two main structures that are cemented together from smaller rocks. They both weigh around 60lbs. It was a bit scary getting them in the tank. Next time I would do maybe half the size just for ease of movement. Kevin from Top Shelf Aquatics built mine. Maybe reach out to them for structures.

9BB2A4C4-1B53-457A-9F46-7AE709AA4E0D.jpeg 9EEE72CE-FACC-4CBD-8DDB-80D3CA9AD39D.jpeg 6A51C7B2-095F-4ABE-B1F2-335174AACB53.jpeg

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know if this will help, I just saw it and felt it may answer some of your questions. :)

D725B304-F2A5-4FB8-87B7-E94B42DCAFA0.png

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built probably half of my rock. I originally collected it all in the sea, but I like the stuff I build better.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I built probably half of my rock. I originally collected it all in the sea, but I like the stuff I build better.

Great article Paul, thank you! Curious - could i make a large Rock with your method - say 3ft square, maybe 18" high? My biggest concern would be the longer "branches" flexing and causing the concrete to crack or break off.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Paul, thank you! Curious - could i make a large Rock with your method - say 3ft square, maybe 18" high? My biggest concern would be the longer "branches" flexing and causing the concrete to crack or break off.

Yes, the backbone of my reef is a DIY piece about 3' long. I made it by cementing a bunch of smaller pieces together and inserting nylon rods through drilled holes. You can make it as large as you like.

If you build it hollow, you can add more cement to make it stronger or fill the PVC with cement.

I can't post a picture now

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back