Bounce or no bounce

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back when I first got into this hobby, I asked my LFS about a plain ol' ordinary gold mushroom, and was shocked when he was asking $40 for it. For a mushroom?! Then it was rhodactis, then yumas, then Jawbreakers, and now Bounce. They just keep getting more expensive... but they're still mushrooms!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me alone in the hobby that thinks bounce corals are way over priced and look terrible? I am sure some people like them but how much of it is just to say you have one? i prefer lps and sps. And I have seen some amazing softy tanks. But I think bounce corals are mushrooms with warts and allot of the time they look better with out the bounce. I don't mean to offend anyone just surprised how fast these became popular and for the price.

I always thought bounce mushrooms were ugly, but I thought I was the only one. Wheeeew. I am not terribly odd after all. I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

They are definitely bright, but still ugly (at least to me). I don't like the "warts" on them. I do like yumas, ricordeas and simple mushrooms though and have them in my tank.

Gunner2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are okay, but the prices are outrageous. They will die off in popularity as soon as the prices drop and the ballers move on to the next fad coral.
Must be a pretty long fad...bounces have been out for 2.5 to 3 years and the demand is still high.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I voted for Bounce but it's not something I am dying to have even though I have one coming. I really wanted one to put on a rock and to cover an area.

NeuroticAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a pretty long fad...bounces have been out for 2.5 to 3 years and the demand is still high.

I think it is because they seem to be more difficult to find, relatively speaking. Prices are starting to come down a bit as they are becoming a little more common. If they suddenly dropped to $20, you probably wouldn't hear about them a year from now.

I've been in this hobby for about 30 years now and have seen these things come and go in popularity. There's nothing inherently wrong with it though.

coralvault

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First ones came in 6 years ago... price has only gone up since. Main reason is that there has never been another colony of OG bounce mushroom "look alike" imported. Unlike most other designer corals chalice acro... there are 1,000s of each imported regularly(and chopped up/sold as the original) where as those coral pickers in indo just can't seem to find a bounce colony... and trust me they are pulling every rhodactis colony they can get their hands but none even close to the OG bounce colony. The price would actually be much much higher if they didn't propagate and ship so well. Just imagine if only 20 polyps ever existed in the hobby for 5 years now. Basically the only source of OG bounce is from other hobbiest/growers not importers scouring the reefs.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm over them. There was one point I had looked at a baby wwc bounce and thought maybe I'll buy that. About 5 seconds later I could have slapped myself, what a stupid move that would have been. As a lot of you know I identify everything with their scientific name, not their hype name. So the nerd side of me kicked in and told me that's simply a mushroom in the genus Rhodactis that's developed bulbous pseudo tentacles and it can happen with many others than just that one why don't you get a colony and do it that way instead of spending 600 on a little dot, and that was enough of that.

All of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I must start think like this!

OP
OP
Kershaw

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know when I first got in hobby 6 years ago. I said I would never pay more then 10 for a coral and 20 for a fish. That 20 bacame 40, then 80, then..... we'll we won't talk about that. But still some things are harder to except then others. I try to be open minded for me this is harder I understand. I hope I see one in real life that changes my mind at least enough where I can understand it.

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like them! Ugly corals in my opnion. It shouldnt be more then $10/$20. Just like the other mushrooms. Maybe Ill have one in my tank if get it for free.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started looking at them (online cell pics) and reading I didn't like them much and thought it was overhyped. Overhyped it is, but when I saw the OG WWC in person I pretty much had to have it. It quickly paid for itself and bought me one of pretty much all the others as well and got very addicting for a minute. They are pretty cool and I actually like the (albeit cheaper) Godspawn bounce just as much. As far as I'm concerned with it being a shroom or if it were some other coral type doesn't matter, colorwise puts most SPS to shame and for me its all about the colors. Not to mention IMO its easier to pull the trigger on it since its a shroom I could literally cut with a pizza cutter, rather than a $1000 home wrecker acro that just might RTN before I even get it home.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first bounce mushroom. A WWC Biohazard Bounce. The price was as good as it gets. I used to not like them, but my boss is crazy for them and his enthusiasm is infectious. I really like a huge berserker bounce at work, it's fantastic.

BSA Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I voted for og wwc bounce.... but I might be a bit biased.. Oh and these are all aquaculture :)

16833333_1849387355349160_1048473431_o.jpg

MicroPico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like shrooms but never cared for bounce. I have seen some unreal absolutely stunning ones but more often than not, I think the rest look like they need quite a bit of preparation H. With the insane prices, it's easy to walk away, but then again I didn't really care for their look. To each his own though and I'd prob spend too much on something else that I do like.

RonMidtownStomp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was never into them to be over them. When I first saw one at the LFS that has them, I didn't even bother to ask what they cost and assumed they were $20-30. The owner said he'd been offered $1000 for the larger one. I don't think I would have bought at $30, and I think the only reason people are into them is the perceived high value because of the price. I can appreciate high demand and even the fun of seeing if you can make a few dollars on a hot coral, but I don't understand why this one in particular is fetching such high prices.

I've stocked my tank mostly with corals that were more valuable 5 years ago and still have as much appeal to me as they did then. I'm paying a bit more for a few SPS that I really like -- the Fox flame, the (true) Icefire Echinata and a couple of others.

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares. If you don't like them move on. Reefing is all about pleasing the owner of the reef, at least IMO anyways. There are plenty of stupid high priced corals from chalice to acros, and everything in between. Buy what YOU like for what you consider a good price. Everyone has an opinion but this is just kinda crazy. No one is forcing you to like and or buy a coral. Like others have said it is all about supply and demand, if they weren't worth it to the folks buying them they would have already dropped in price. Saying that I think the WWC bounce is an extremely cool looking coral. Do I have one? No, but when they drop to what I consider a fair price I certainly will be purchasing one. I see no point in starting a thread like this.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who cares. If you don't like them move on. Reefing is all about pleasing the owner of the reef, at least IMO anyways. There are plenty of stupid high priced corals from chalice to acros, and everything in between. Buy what YOU like for what you consider a good price. Everyone has an opinion but this is just kinda crazy. No one is forcing you to like and or buy a coral. Like others have said it is all about supply and demand, if they weren't worth it to the folks buying them they would have already dropped in price. Saying that I think the WWC bounce is an extremely cool looking coral. Do I have one? No, but when they drop to what I consider a fair price I certainly will be purchasing one. I see no point in starting a thread like this.

I don't view this as a bashing or ridicule of the coral or person who likes or dislikes the coral.
The thread is worth while to the OP and others who have posted within this thread to discuss opinions and thoughts.

Plain and simple nothing more, isn't this the point of a forum ?

Good luck and happy reefing
BluewaterLa / Mike

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my first bounce mushroom. A WWC Biohazard Bounce. The price was as good as it gets. I used to not like them, but my boss is crazy for them and his enthusiasm is infectious. I really like a huge berserker bounce at work, it's fantastic.
I saw berserker from reef raft it just as expensive as bounce $1200 on a~2"disc

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back