Why do so many people leave the hobby?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do so many people get out of the hobby?
This hobby has been around for 44 years and yet you can count the number of tanks that are at least 20 years old on one hand. OK, maybe two, I didn't really count, but work with me. The vast majority of threads are very new tanks and the second largest number of threads besides disease threads is "Getting out of the hobby, everything for sale" threads. Why is that?
I think I know. It takes a special (weird) type of person to keep at this for a large number of years. By that I mean a person with more varied interests than just keeping some beautiful fish alive. When I started, me and Moses would sit and watch our guppies. After we managed to keep the fish alive we got so excited to see them spawn. Then we would sit up all night with an eye dropper so we could feed each one individually and watch it grow. We were horrified when one (or most of them) died. And they were guppies. Then when we were proficient with breeding different strains of guppies to get different colors we tried mollies, then swordtails and any livebearers we could get our hands on. But that got boring and we needed more of a challenge. There were so many fish to choose from. We had kissing gourami’s, angelfish, discus, zebra’s and bettas with their very cool bubble nests. We did this for years until that was so easy that we did not get excited when our fish spawned. Not being exciting is death to a hobby and we almost went on to other endeavors like trying to guess the phone numbers of Supermodels. But wait. Something happened just in the nick of time that kept us in the hobby.
Someone imported salt water fish into the US. I don't remember who that was but whoever he was, it kept my interest because now I no longer needed to watch my freshwater fish spawn as that was boring because everyone was able to do it. If anyone can do it, it isn't as much fun because we couldn't brag about our success and get fish Geek points. The thrill was gone.
But saltwater fish opened up an entirely new field that no one knew anything about. If a store sold salt water fish they had a huge sign in their window proclaiming that they had salt water fish. That usually meant they had a 5 gallon tank with three, ich infested blue devils and a depressed domino with a social disease on his way to having last rites. But those damsels were so fascinating because now, we again had bragging rites and although we were not very good at keeping these guys alive, no one else could either. Eventually our damsels spawned for us and we were again able to get out the eye dropper and stay up late at night feeding them one at a time. The thrill was back. Much of the thrill was that there was virtually no information available about these things, I mean none, and computers were not invented yet so every day that we kept a damsel alive was a thrill, sort of like bungee jumping but different. I really miss those days as now it is simple to keep most fish alive and to kill a damsel you need to lay it in the street and have a 1957 Chevy Malibu run over it, twice.
Now with the internet and advice coming from every little village on earth there is very little thrill at all. If you need to know something all you do is Google it and an entire plethora of information is at your fingertips. Of course almost all of it is wrong based on rumor, conjecture, supposition, guesswork, innuendos, and drug induced rantings by someone who started a tank last Tuesday and now is the resident expert.
I myself have been doing this a while so I know better on a few things but I can see how it can be overwhelming. I read so many things that I am so opposed to that it drives me nuts so I limit my posts on almost all forums now because of the arguments. Of course I am also old and opinionated so I guess I also am easy to argue with. My old school theories are debunked by young college grads with all sorts of book learning and a cell phone with a google app ready to find something to disagree with. That is fine and is the way of the world. But I think the main reason so many people drop out is that most of the thrill is gone. Almost every fish that can be kept, is kept. We can now keep fish for their entire normal lifespan with no problems.
Thank God for corals. Those gems are still a source of wonder as there are so many types with different needs and so many opinions as to their care. How much light? How much current? Do they need to be fed? What is the best temperature and salinity? How much nitrate can they handle and how much do they need, if any? Would a Supermodel be able to successfully keep a coral? No one really knows so the hobby has hope.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Why do so many people get out of the hobby?
This hobby has been around for 44 years and yet you can count the number of tanks that are at least 20 years old on one hand. OK, maybe two, I didn't really count, but work with me. The vast majority of threads are very new tanks and the second largest number of threads besides disease threads is "Getting out of the hobby, everything for sale" threads. Why is that?
I think I know. It takes a special (weird) type of person to keep at this for a large number of years. By that I mean a person with more varied interests than just keeping some beautiful fish alive. When I started, me and Moses would sit and watch our guppies. After we managed to keep the fish alive we got so excited to see them spawn. Then we would sit up all night with an eye dropper so we could feed each one individually and watch it grow. We were horrified when one (or most of them) died. And they were guppies. Then when we were proficient with breeding different strains of guppies to get different colors we tried mollies, then swordtails and any livebearers we could get our hands on. But that got boring and we needed more of a challenge. There were so many fish to choose from. We had kissing gourami’s, angelfish, discus, zebra’s and bettas with their very cool bubble nests. We did this for years until that was so easy that we did not get excited when our fish spawned. Not being exciting is death to a hobby and we almost went on to other endeavors like trying to guess the phone numbers of Supermodels. But wait. Something happened just in the nick of time that kept us in the hobby.
Someone imported salt water fish into the US. I don't remember who that was but whoever he was, it kept my interest because now I no longer needed to watch my freshwater fish spawn as that was boring because everyone was able to do it. If anyone can do it, it isn't as much fun because we couldn't brag about our success and get fish Geek points. The thrill was gone.
But saltwater fish opened up an entirely new field that no one knew anything about. If a store sold salt water fish they had a huge sign in their window proclaiming that they had salt water fish. That usually meant they had a 5 gallon tank with three, ich infested blue devils and a depressed domino with a social disease on his way to having last rites. But those damsels were so fascinating because now, we again had bragging rites and although we were not very good at keeping these guys alive, no one else could either. Eventually our damsels spawned for us and we were again able to get out the eye dropper and stay up late at night feeding them one at a time. The thrill was back. Much of the thrill was that there was virtually no information available about these things, I mean none, and computers were not invented yet so every day that we kept a damsel alive was a thrill, sort of like bungee jumping but different. I really miss those days as now it is simple to keep most fish alive and to kill a damsel you need to lay it in the street and have a 1957 Chevy Malibu run over it, twice.
Now with the internet and advice coming from every little village on earth there is very little thrill at all. If you need to know something all you do is Google it and an entire plethora of information is at your fingertips. Of course almost all of it is wrong based on rumor, conjecture, supposition, guesswork, innuendos, and drug induced rantings by someone who started a tank last Tuesday and now is the resident expert.
I myself have been doing this a while so I know better on a few things but I can see how it can be overwhelming. I read so many things that I am so opposed to that it drives me nuts so I limit my posts on almost all forums now because of the arguments. Of course I am also old and opinionated so I guess I also am easy to argue with. My old school theories are debunked by young college grads with all sorts of book learning and a cell phone with a google app ready to find something to disagree with. That is fine and is the way of the world. But I think the main reason so many people drop out is that most of the thrill is gone. Almost every fish that can be kept, is kept. We can now keep fish for their entire normal lifespan with no problems.
Thank God for corals. Those gems are still a source of wonder as there are so many types with different needs and so many opinions as to their care. How much light? How much current? Do they need to be fed? What is the best temperature and salinity? How much nitrate can they handle and how much do they need, if any? Would a Supermodel be able to successfully keep a coral? No one really knows so the hobby has hope.
I thought i was leaving for good because hurricane sandy took my house and tanks with it but im still back, honestly i think its about the time an money that goes into this nd people get excited nd are thrilled with the first 3 4 years into it then probably get bored after a while

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dzel. I did forgot to mention relocating so I am glad you brought it up. Thanks. But I was really referring to people just leaving because they were bored. I write faster than I think :eek:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see this with almost any hobby. People are excited when they first get into it. Buying equipment, putting it all together, cycling, and buying those first colorful fish. I think allot of people underestimate the running cost associated with a full reef tank. Also the fact that you can have a successful system for years, and in a few hours wipe out allot of your livestock. It can be pretty upsetting. I do agree with you that in order to stay interested in the hobby, or any hobby for that matter, you have to find niches that interest you. I always equate it to SCUBA. You will get bored with it fairly quick if all you do is go dive on reefs and just look at the fish and corals. It is the people who find niches like photography, spear fishing, deep water mixed gas, or cave/wreck diving that stay in it long term.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel many leave out of frustration.
People spend so much money only to be over run by something like algae.
They empty the tank never to look back.
This hobby is like rollerblading
You fall, break a wrist and never do it again.
Same with tanks
Thank you Paul

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks aren't as old as the number of years I've been in the hobby. Since 2004, we've moved 4 times. So, my oldest tank may only be 5 years, but the stuff inside is well over 20. The younger crowd that is entering this hobby are often not in their final homes and many final homes have become just a stepping stone. Life is just much more fluid these days. We noticed people coming in and out of the hobby about 8-9 years ago. It was during the birth of all-in-one nano tanks and frag plugs. I specifically remember this, because my hubby and I started referring to them as "disposable tanks". That high dollar scene has thankfully become less trendy. When the economy tanked, there was a bunch that left.... lost income, having to take extra jobs, and lost homes had a lot of people waving goodbye. Then it seemed to stabilize for a moment, to only drop again. The forums got pretty quiet. Local stores went out of business. I have no where to buy coral now without driving a "not fun" distance. Then the stores that managed to stay open were pretty sad inside. Not much exciting stock.

Wasn't it exciting when this hobby was pumping! All the innovations....

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are a few reasons. These are my guesses:

1) "This hobby will pay for itself" - false. Anyone coming into this hobby with that attitude will very likely leave because that didn't work out. They figured it's a free hobby, because they can keep selling stuff to recoup every expense. That doesn't even fit the definition of the word hobby.

2) Impatience - they want answers, and they want them now. They want instant results. They expect to get a TOTM-worthy system without experiencing the true effort involved. Throwing a bunch of money at a tank isn't going to yield longterm results if they are impatient in nature. Instant reefs are no bueno. Let it grow naturally and enjoy the ride.

3) Lack of adequate knowledge - this hobby has many ways to accomplish the same thing. This is actually bad, because it causes confusion. Hobbyists interpret results, sometimes incorrectly, and share these with others which can spread misinformation. Creativity and inspiration can crack the code, but this leads me to the next point:

4) Poor equipment choices - I see this often. "I got this skimmer off ebay for $20 with free shipping, and it kicks butt!!!" No, fellow hobbyist, that skimmer is doing what it can, but when you get a a real one, you'll be impressed by one that can actually kick butt. "I'll never spend that kind of money on a pump/powerhead, this one is 1/10th the price and works great!" Yes, the moment you put it in your tank and plug it in, you'll think it was money well spent, and you'll pat yourself on the back for the money you saved. However, when it conks out or when you realize it is not providing as much flow as your livestock needs, you'll be looking for a replacement or secondary one to add more flow. I prefer to buy nicer gear that runs for years and years. Zero regrets and it allows me to enjoy the hobby.

5) Loss of life - this is the hardest part. When they set up an ecosystem for fish and corals and watch them die, it can be very disheartening. Odds are they first thing they think of is money wasted, then time & effort wasted, and finally they feel badly for the fish or coral that perished. Maybe not in that order necessarily, but I tend to believe this is overall pattern with many that opt out of the hobby. They need to know what caused the problem and how to resolve it, and begin to reap the benefits of sticking with the hobby. If they don't see progress, they'll quit out of frustration and/or they ran out of money.

Fortunately, this is a great forum filled with knowledge to help them succeed and stay salty. Use the search button, read the threads that discussed said topic in depth and learn.

the_more_you_know.png

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was running some form of saltwater tank for close to 10 years but after the big blackout I took down my tanks even though losses were manageable. I also had a job cleaning aquariums. It was difficult cleaning aquariums all day just to come home and have to do it again. After I moved out I got the bug to start an aquarium again but just African cichlids and they got boring over time. Then I got my first house and had the African Cichlids for a while but they tore it all down. I then got the saltwater bug again and setup my tank as a reef. After a year of being setup I relocated for work. I dont think it has slowed me down as I am now going to setup a monster system. I think that a lot of people have life get in the way or they have a few disasters that discourage them to the point of giving up.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank wipeout is what got me to throw in the towel last time. That coupled with a breakup and move back to KY within a couple weeks. Now I'm back more skilled, knowledgable, and patient.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to take a break from the hobby due to my wife's health. I started my local club and ran it for many years hosting several MACNA's. But when my wife's health need more attention I had to stop doing all the things I was doing an concentrate on her health. We now have things under better control and it lets me have time to devote to my hobby. In the years away I still read the forums just didn't participate. Had to stop going to MACNA's. This past MACNA was my first one back in the hobby full time and boy it was quite a thing to see. I spent many thousand of dollars going to Hobby trade show trying to get companies to attend MACNA they really didn't care to show up and many people running MACNA's at the time didn't want trade people there so. It was quite a sight for me to walk thru the vendor area. Was quite and emotional thing for me and being a few years older now I can not hang like I use to Staying up till 2 am and getting back up at 6am is killer on this old man.:) I do enjoy the hobby and my wife supports it as I am with her in the house all the time instead of some other hobby where the husband is gone for hours outside of the house. So for my life stop's a lot of people in the hobby be it health, kid's and job demands.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted in this hobby for a few years before I actually started. I've been in for 7 years now and still have my very first clown! Now tank longevity is a total different story. Between impulse buys and upgrades, not to mention the recent move, I am starting over again on another tank. I can't imaginenleaving for good without some type of tank, but life can and will get in the way sometimes

People leave due to a long list of reasons. First to kind is money, then lack of patience. When a guy comes onto the forum, reads a couple build threads....20 pages worth, then expects to do the same in a couple weeks. What they don't realizenis that 20 page build thread that you read through in a hour, actually took a couple years to get to that point.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted in this hobby for a few years before I actually started. I've been in for 7 years now and still have my very first clown! Now tank longevity is a total different story. Between impulse buys and upgrades, not to mention the recent move, I am starting over again on another tank. I can't imaginenleaving for good without some type of tank, but life can and will get in the way sometimes

People leave due to a long list of reasons. First to kind is money, then lack of patience. When a guy comes onto the forum, reads a couple build threads....20 pages worth, then expects to do the same in a couple weeks. What they don't realizenis that 20 page build thread that you read through in a hour, actually took a couple years to get to that point.
Patience goes a long way in this hobby and worth it's weight in gold.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back