Why do so many people leave the hobby?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul, there are openers, fillers, and closer in life. Open and filler never finish anything in life. Dose this answer your question?

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree that success -> boredom -> quit.

I read it -> Success -> More tanks/bigger tanks/different types of corals and fish/find ways to minimize failure/maximize automation/push the envelope/maximize beauty.

Even with total disillusionment, I'd still have a big **** fowl because it's easy and the beauty of salt fish.

I did, admittedly. ...get rather bored with fresh water fish in the 80s......

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few people that threw in the towel due to bad experiences, mainly because they were given Bad advice and did not have a patience to stay in. I have one acquaintance that left because he was bored with it. That's something that I just don't understand, I find its never a dull moment with my tanks.

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kids simply won't let me get out. I told them once I was thinking about relocating one of my fish, and I was met with clinch fists and sobbing. It would have been like getting rid of the family's beloved dog.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frustration, and $$$$$

I think you got it, as simple as that. Even though you can google anything, there is a ton of bad info out there. It's an expensive hobby especially if you are losing livestock due to just plain old doing things wrong. Even if your doing everything right there is still something thats going to get you. Too many variables. Then when things go wrong, your spending even more $$$$$ just to get back to where you were before the mishap.

If you have money, you probably don't have much time. If you don't have money you can't really afford the stuff you really want.

I got out for a long while in 2005 to I don't even know maybe 2011. When I got out I had been reefing for about 9 years and never even thought to look online about reefing at that time. So I was reefing with really bad LFS info and never quarantined, never really even knew about coral pests. I just got tired of the high electricity bills and barely being able to keep anything alive. I started back up when my kid was born since I knew I'd be stuck inside the house for a while, and I was much more financially stable than ever.

Now I'm more into it than ever. It would be hard to quit now since 2 tanks are plumbed into and through walls and floors.

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine getting out of this hobby. I've been in it for only 3 years. I lost my first tank during Hurricane Sandy but bought a 90 gallon when I bought my house 2 years ago. I'm slowly building my system as lack of funds has kept the tank growth at a snails pace. I'm constantly learning and loving every day of my tank. Even my 6 week old daughter can't keep her eyes off the tank when I hold her near. I have learned so much since I joined R2R 2 months ago.

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sense of awe and boredom, coupled with a sense of frustration and expense can certainly effect people.

For me, I got into the hobby as a kid. Through high school and college, I worked an LFS for 7 years and maintained my own tanks. But, I was burned out spending so much time around fish

Fast forward 6 years, and I am so excited to set up another tank. I've wanted to for some time, but the idea of moving tanks as I moved rentals held me off. Now that I have a house of my own, the sense of awe in setting up a tank is back again.

Not mention, for the first time ever, I can finally put holes in my walls so I never have to carry buckets again :)

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone's posts as well as to why a lot of people leave the hobby.
I also think that many new hobbyists get out in a short time is also due to a lack of knowledge of some of the basics from the start that continue on after beginning the hobby.
Some basic knowledge carries over from freshwater if moving to saltwater.
There is some basic science knowledge involved in keeping a saltwater tank that goes a little beyond freshwater however, especially if the plan is to keep a reef tank in the long run.
Understanding the nitrogen cycle, carbonate hardness, what and how pH is affected and how these and other things effect other water parameters are all important as well as other things.
I also think that many people new to the hobby, as already mentioned, see the various tanks from more experienced hobbyists and want to duplicate their hard work at the blink of an eye. From what I've seen from my local clubs from new hobbyists is their lack of knowledge from different fish, coral and invert species and what their necessities and compatibilities are.
One other thing that I've seen and heard is how some new hobbyists look at the daily, weekly, bi-weekly and monthly maintenance of their tank as a chore rather than part of the beauty of the reward of having success. With the proper equipment, tools and knowledge it can be fun and easy but a saltwater tank does require some regular attention for long term health.
In some cases I also think that some new hobbyists become overwhelmed with all of the different advice they get when they have problematic situation with their tank. It gets to the point that they are doing so many different things and all if the constant changes create a bigger problem before they give up.
I'm not knocking new hobbyists at all. I've always done my best with the knowledge that I've gained to help others just like others did for me when I was new to saltwater.
Imo , learning the basics as the foundation seem to be lacking sometimes from what I've seen.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Television- these shows make it look easy and simple. Build the tank, fill with water, add fish in one hour Bingo done.

I think there is a lack of passion for not just hobby but the excitement of a whole ecosystem, or maybe the impatience to learn the circle of life as it is a never ending learning experience.

I started when I was 8yrs. I think my parents bought my first 55G. To keep me busy and stay away from them..... Now my wife supports my tanks for the same reason.

This culture has now an instant gratification strive.

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing that I've seen and heard is how some new hobbyists look at the daily, weekly, bi-weekly and monthly maintenance of their tank as a chore rather than part of the beauty of the reward of having success. With the proper equipment, tools and knowledge it can be fun and easy but a saltwater tank does require some regular attention for long term health.

Excellent point.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say the challenge has left the hobby for me. There are so many things I want to accomplish in this hobby but there are also so many things that I already accomplished so they are not as much of a thrill for me any longer. All my paired fish are spawning. That was my main goal but I still have not spawned all the fish that can spawn. I can keep corals, but I can't keep all corals. I can keep most, but not all fish. Now my biggest thrill in the hobby is building things. I already designed a way to build my rocks and most of my rock, I built. I already collected all of my rock using SCUBA which was a lot of fun. But after you fill your tank with rock and have a hundred pounds left over. You are done connecting rock. Building rocks opened up an entirely new aspect of the hobby for me. I have also dove with almost all the creatures I have ever kept and had a wonderful life of traveling just to dive in exotic places, some I can't even pronounce. I also like to build my other equipment and built my protein skimmer, surface skimmer and target feeders for mandarins and pipefish. I built the shrimp hatcheries and a way to collect the fry as they hatch. This week I built a water cooled LED fixture that I will install tomorrow. I am not running out of things to build or creatures to keep. I even have two patents on aquarium related devices and just published a book. I have done quite a lot of things in the hobby but the things I already did, some many times I am not as interested in any longer. People ask me all the time If I raise the fish that spawn. I do not. I did a few times and as I said in my first post, I really enjoyed that as that is the pinnacle of this hobby. But after you do that often enough and know you could do it, you lost interest in doing it again and prefer to do something else in the hobby. Maybe raise squid, jellyfish, hermit crabs, Supermodels or manta rays.
I still very much love the hobby and will always be in it. I just enjoy different aspects of it. I still get excited when my bluestripe pipefish or mandarins spawn. But not nearly as much as the first time. The first thing I do every morning is run my finger over the glass of the tank to check the temperature. Then I notice if the water level is where it should be. After that I know all is well and I go about my day knowing my fish are fine. Some of them have been in there for over 20 years so they are a part of my life. For me this is not a hobby but a way of life. I have had a tank now for about 60 years so it is really in my blood.
As for it being expensive, it is as expensive as you want it to be. I spend very little on my tank, I think I figured it out once at about $960.00 a year including electricity. But I don't have controllers, dosers, UV sterilizers or bio pellets. So that is a few grand I didn't spend. I have also had my tank when I was an apprentice electrician in the 70s living in a tiny apartment with my wife and then Daughter when I was bringing home after taxes $52.00 a week. I did side jobs to pay the bills and feed the fish. But then and now the fish eat mostly clams which cost about fifty cents a week. I also moved in 1978 and brought the tank, water, fish, UG filter and rocks with me.
There are plenty of excuses to leave the hobby and just times when we lost interest or one of our family members gets sick. I know how that is as my wife of 42 years has MS and I spend more time helping her so I have less time for my hobbies. But the hobby, to me is also a release and gives me an opportunity to experiment and get the creative juices flowing. I don't have any tank problems any more so I can concentrate on just pure enjoyment.
I love this stuff.
Thank you all of you guys for responding. I am glad this thread created some conversation. :)

Fishme1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved this thread. I'm new to the hobby and are amazingly obsessed with it. I suppose some of the reefers want to take a break and do the family thing for a while. Me personally, I hear the wife crack a "there you go to your tank"comment here and there. I'm guessing all those getting out will end up coming back.. It's just a great exciting hobby.

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The matter is that when most of the people face an obstacle and they will just loose their fish and mostly reefs they give up and dont try to solve them.I my self am a student and ive 2 times lost my reefs that had gathered them in 6 months(that is my 3 month earning money).But i dont give up and these obstacles are the steps of the ladder of success.
Do not give up and try ur best and be sure with good attempt u will be successful.
Ive to mention that im now in an obstacle.
Wish me luck.

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The matter is that when most of the people face an obstacle and they will just loose their fish and mostly reefs they give up and dont try to solve them.I my self am a student and ive 2 times lost my reefs that had gathered them in 6 months(that is my 3 month earning money).But i dont give up and these obstacles are the steps of the ladder of success.
Do not give up and try ur best and be sure with good attempt u will be successful.
Ive to mention that im now in an obstacle.
Wish me luck.
Forgive me for bad grammer im still not too goon in english.
I wish i could mention my mean.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arman, good luck

Loved this thread. I'm new to the hobby and are amazingly obsessed with it. I suppose some of the reefers want to take a break and do the family thing for a while. Me personally, I hear the wife crack a "there you go to your tank"comment here and there. I'm guessing all those getting out will end up coming back.. It's just a great exciting hobby.

My wife of 42 years would not dare to say something like that to me. I have had the tank before we were married and I made it clear then that I always had a tank and would always have a tank. She doesn't have much interest in it but she knows I don't go to bars or hang out in weird places and now that I am retired, I am never bored. Of course My wife and I go out all the time and after all this time we are still best friends and have a great marriage, better than most.

Here we are in "Bloody Mary's Bar" in Bora Bora. She still dives with me.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
848 people looked at this thread. Don't any of you have an opinion? I want to hear it. Maybe from only 600 of you. :rolleyes:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back