Why do so many people leave the hobby?

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My interest also probably started with Sea Hunt. I loved that show even though it was more about spearing the bad guy than fish. ;Woot
I was also fascinated by all the Jacques Cousteau specials and used to watch them over and over again.
I am not sure what to call it for me but I think it is more of a way of life than a hobby.

I never strived for a really beautiful tank and my tank is by far not the nicest looking one on here, some of them would make anyone jealous. I just love looking at interesting things and if I get hair algae, flatworms, cyano, Godzilla Larvae or any number of things I am just in awe. I don't think of those things as problems but rather interesting things of nature and it allows me to figure out how to eliminate them or more often, live with them and try to turn them into good things rather than problems. ;)

Of course I don't want to see my tank crash, leak or get me electrocuted. Those are definitely bad things. I also won't go broke because I am not a gadget guy and nothing on my tank is expensive. You can buy all that stuff if you like, but then don't post how expensive the hobby is.
You can like boating (as I do) and you can have a kayak, canoe or a yacht. You will still be boating but you do what you can comfortably afford.

Most LFSs will test your water for free and if you buy 2 part Calcium and alk it's like fifty bucks a year as thats all I spend on that.
I also feel there is no need to change water so often. I myself normally go by nitrates. If they creep up to more than I want, I change the water, if they are what I consider doable like about 25 or 30, I don't change the water. Even if it is a year old. My fish never complained.

Now I have access to free NSW but for most of my life I had to buy ASW and yes, it is expensive.
I think my largest expense now is food. I raise worms so they are free and I feed clams which are almost free but my main food is commercially sold LRS food. That costs me about $20.00 a month.

Most of my corals grow so I rarely need to buy any and my fish normally only die of old age but even with that, I need o buy fish. Pipefish, and Bangai cardinals only live 3 or 4 years so they need to be replaced. Most of the smaller gobies and bleenies only live ten of so years so if you have a lot of them, you will still lose some occasionally. I don't buy the most expensive fish like $500.00 tangs, mostly because I don't want them. but if you can afford them, and you like them you may be disappointed if you lost them..

One guy (whose post was deleted) said the reason many people leave the hobby was because of me. I didn't think I had any "hobby power" that made people leave the hobby. [emoji14]

I am glad this thread is still sparking some interest :cool:

I like the odder, more unusual fish which just happen to be the cheaper fish. [emoji14]

No. I didn't buy this. I saw it while diving in the Caribbean a couple of months ago.

Most beautiful tang imho!! Blue is my favorite color after all!!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Even as a baby they're beautiful! I think, after reading so many different posts, that a majority of people get out of the hobby because of several reasons. Two that I see predominantly are, not being realistic with themselves about how much money they have to spend in relation to getting the show tank like those that are seen on forums and different websites. The second is not being willing to take the time and enjoy the process of setting up and cycling a tank. I've read so many posts about people being 2-4 weeks from the time their cycle was done, asking why their 10 fish and 15 frags are all dying! I found then and still find now, after a few years of having my tank, the amazement in looking at the tank and seeing new creatures appearing that I didn't even know were there! Just last night, as I was staring into my sump with a flashlight as I sometimes do, I saw several baby grass shrimp with their big bug eyes staring back at me! I sometimes add a bunch when the sargassum rolls through but haven't added any since last year! I thought the fish had eaten them all but I guess there's some adults somewhere!! I also saw some baby snails crawling around! The new life springing up constantly has never ceased to amaze me! It seems to me that too many people start out with dead rock and sand. I think by doing it that way, they miss out on a whole part of the hobby! They also set themselves up for alot of issues along the way. There's just something in that live rock that you can't replicate in a bottle! Go slow and enjoy the ride, there's so much more to this hobby than fish and coral! Imho, one of the required pieces of equipment when starting a saltwater tank should be a big magnifying glass! There is always something new to see if you just take the time and look closely!
20190729_172315.jpeg

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, seeing all the tiny stuff is totally awe inspiring even though a lot of people feel that anything small and new is a pest. That tiny stuff is the lifeblood of the oceans.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree, seeing all the tiny stuff is totally awe inspiring even though a lot of people feel that anything small and new is a pest. That tiny stuff is the lifeblood of the oceans.
I spent most of my life looking at the big stuff, being a fisherman and avid diver, much to the dismay of my wife. She tried for years to get me to pay attention to all the little things on the reef when we would go snorkeling. I was more occupied with catching a nice fish or lobster for dinner! She likes the fact that I have finally taken the time to realize all that I was missing! I think that not having the acceptance of the hobby by your spouse or significant other is also a reason for people to leave the hobby. Your partner doesn't have to necessarily be involved, just accepting. It seems to start out as complaining about the amount of money being spent and eventually turns into a real hatred for how much time is being spent taking care of the tank instead of spending time with the family. I have to say I'm lucky as my wife has not only encouraged me to not throw in the towel several times but also points out when she thinks I need to look into issues that may be arising.

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly a saddening aspect of the hobby is how few people there are to personally share it with. Brick and mortar stores are being killed off, but I find it so nice to talk to fellow reefers at a store. One nice store near me closed down and the other one I go to has had to scale down immensely.

Some of us get too busy for reefing too. I am in college so my tank is now soft coral dominated because I lost some stony corals due to neglect. I keep a simple tank because I know I can take care of my 1 clown and softies in the long run. Softies are still my favorite, especially sinularia corals.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe people moving to another city, state, country makes it difficult. I stopped my first tank after a move, it is hard when you worked to establish a system just to see it gone and then start all over again.

Kyuss414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO people just lose interest, and that goes for most hobbies. Pick just about any hobby and you can always find people "getting out" as they move on to the next shiney object that caught their attention.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People ask me all the time, "How Much Work is it?"
I tell them, "If you feel it is work, it is not for you"

It's like boating. I have a boat and like tanks, they require maintenance, but I don't consider it work. I like cleaning it and changing the oil. It's part of the "Hobby" and I like it.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a 250 gallon cichlid tank, people would often comment just that, "It must be whole lotta work". I was always caught be surprise by that comment, both because it didn't require that much maintenance and also because I really enjoyed taking care of it.

A few months ago I upgraded my 100 gallon sumpless reef to a 200 with sump and now I feel it's a great amount of work.

Keeping a reef tank involves developing skills in so many different areas that it is inevitable that you will end up enjoying some more than others and some part of it will become work.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad advice and a struggle to discern bad advice from good and a lack of patience to let tanks run the are two of the main factors in my opinion.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad advice and a struggle to discern bad advice from good and a lack of patience to let tanks run the are two of the main factors in my opinion.

IMO I think a Noob should find an aquarist who they think has a healthy running, long term tank, not just 5 or 6 years and emulate them. Don't find someone on the Disease forum and follow them because you don't ever want to be there.

In that process find someone with a method that you can physically do. If you are low on funds, don't try to follow someone who is a gadget freek as those things which may be helpful are pricy.
Also don't follow someone who uses nothing but NSW especially if you live in Death Valley or Tibet.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do so many people leave this hobby?

money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money
issues

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paragraphs are very important to break up a wall of text. But i think part of the reason some people leave the hobby is because there is so much information out there its hard to really nail down a set way to do things.

Things are always changing one minute led is amazing the next hybrid fixtures are popular. Oh you have this problem well you have 20 people each telling you different things. Its very frustrating for someone new to the hobby.

I wasted alot of money in the beginning listening to people. I think i have finally got it all figured out but it was a hard road for sure!

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was much easier for me as there was no one else with a salt tank so I didn't have to listen to anyone. :p

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My interest also probably started with Sea Hunt. I loved that show even though it was more about spearing the bad guy than fish.
hahahha Lloyd Bridges... black and white. Who would have guessed his stunt double would go on to be in Jaws. Wonder if he has a tank?

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahha Lloyd Bridges... black and white. Who would have guessed his stunt double would go on to be in Jaws. Wonder if he has a tank?

Do you mean the shark?

Because every supermodel I bought home said my tank looked stupid.

I met a lot of Supermodels, but I never knew they could speak. :cool:

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasons people leave the reef hobby are:
1, the high cost of many things
2, the wife is jelly of even small amounts of time from her
3, hair algae ( I don’t have it but it does suck )
4, the wife
5, the wife

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started back in the 80's with 2 30g tanks.
snowflake and a white mouth moray in one.
blue ring octo in the other.
moving often it was easier keeping small tanks.
fast forward early '89 got married, bought a house, started my first reef tank, a 110 X High.
fast forward late 90's got divorced. had to take the tank down.
fast forward 2017, finally got out of the mobile (didn't trust the floor for a big tank) and started planning
and buying for the current tank.
so there's your answer. divorce kills this hobby.
:cool:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 135 47.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back