Would these wrasses work

Bassman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to get some wrasses for my 90 gallon tank. I currently do not have any wrasses in my tank. I’m thinking of adding a bluehead fairy wrasse, exquisite fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, carpenters flasher wrasse and a red head salon fairy wrasse. Do you think that there would be any issues? If so what do you recommend. Thanks!

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wanting to get some wrasses for my 90 gallon tank. I currently do not have any wrasses in my tank. I’m thinking of adding a bluehead fairy wrasse, exquisite fairy wrasse, yellow coris wrasse, carpenters flasher wrasse and a red head salon fairy wrasse. Do you think that there would be any issues? If so what do you recommend. Thanks!
Yes, flasher and fairy wrasses can cohabitate, but that sounds like a lot for a 90 gallon tank. Are there any other fish in the tank? I have a 90 gallon and only have 9 fish total, one of which is a six line wrasse.

OP
OP
B

Bassman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, flasher and fairy wrasses can cohabitate, but that sounds like a lot for a 90 gallon tank. Are there any other fish in the tank? I have a 90 gallon and only have 9 fish total, one of which is a six line wrasse.
There is only a pajama cardnal, bangai cardnal, midas blenny, and engineering goby. Nothing else.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only a pajama cardnal, bangai cardnal, midas blenny, and engineering goby. Nothing else.
You should be fine then. Just keep in minds that depending on your filtration and CUC, you will pretty much be at the limit for fish if you add all the ones you are talking about. Also, I would only add about 3 fish at a time. then wait a couple weeks, add 3 more. and so on.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i'll let @Slocke and @i cant think chime in.

i don't believe there would be an immediate issue depending the rockwork. and as far as the yellow "coris" wrasse goes, it is no longer called that but just yellow wrasse. not actually a "coris"

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bassman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Thanks for the help. Just one more question I do have a 40 gallon sump for filtration. Would adding 3 scissor tail gobies be to much? I probably won’t end up doing the salon wrasse.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok. Thanks for the help. Just one more question I do have a 40 gallon sump for filtration. Would adding 3 scissor tail gobies be to much? I probably won’t end up doing the salon wrasse.
might work, might not. rockwork can help diffuse aggression, although gobie's are generally well behaved.

OP
OP
B

Bassman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
might work, might not. rockwork can help diffuse aggression, although gobie's are generally well

IMG_3838.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is my rock work. So I don’t think I will have any issues.
lots of swimming room. i believe you'll be fine :)

worst case scenario you can ad a little bit more rockwork. ideally vertically(perhaps back right corner) to provide something to swim around, not under/over.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish?

I have 9 wrasses total in a 4’x2’x18” tank - 17-18 fish total.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only issue I see is the Bluehead potentially becoming quite territorial. I’d stick to smaller species personally if you want a peaceful tank with maybe 1-2 larger/slightly more boisterous species depending on what they are.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of fish?

I have 9 wrasses total in a 4’x2’x18” tank - 17-18 fish total.
Well, Like I said, it depends on your filtration and CUC. I choose not to load a tank up. It also depends on type of fish. How big they grow. There are a lot of variables in this. I am more of an err on the side of caution kind of person. At the end of the day, it's really all just personal opinion, and everybody has one.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back