Zebra lionfish vs. Dwarf fuzzy lionfish

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot water helps break down the venom as well, yes. However that isnt practical to keep in your stand and timing is eveything. The sooner you get vinigar or hot water on the effected area the less pain you will ultimately be in. unfortunately I am speaking from a place of authority on this. I prefer to house my charges in ideal environments, not "perfectly adequate" while I don't have any dwarf at the moment when I did I had a harem in a 75 the alpha male was easily over 6" almost 7" just a hair shorter than the length of my hand. I might go back to keeping Dendrochirus some time as a lot of the other Scorpaenidae fish I want either don't get large enough or are not available in larger sizes at purchase to go on my venom tank. Full grown Volitan and Scorpaena Plumieri are just too aggressive for the small Inimicus sp. I can find in the trade.

Sounds like a nice tank! How many were in the harem? Also, got any pics?

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever bought fish from Live Aquaria? I was thinking that would be where I got my lionfish when I was ready, but I have never ordered anything from there. It seems like a legitimate site. Just wondering if anyone had any experience regarding them.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize that a fuzzy isn't the same as a zebra. Look for a T at the tail, this is a trait of the zebra lion...a medium body lion. Fuzzier or dwarfs. There are the brown sure, but there are also reds and yellows, I have both. It has been discussed on a different forum about keeping a fuzzy in a 29 cube, and it has came to water quality. While some times they are active, not always or a lot. Give them plenty of caves to perch in and hide and they should be fine.

Live aquaria is a great place, realize though live aquair is different then divers den.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Realize that a fuzzy isn't the same as a zebra. Look for a T at the tail, this is a trait of the zebra lion...a medium body lion. Fuzzier or dwarfs. There are the brown sure, but there are also reds and yellows, I have both. It has been discussed on a different forum about keeping a fuzzy in a 29 cube, and it has came to water quality. While some times they are active, not always or a lot. Give them plenty of caves to perch in and hide and they should be fine.

Live aquaria is a great place, realize though live aquair is different then divers den.

I did realize there was a difference.

What is the difference? I see that divers den is a part of live aquaria.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria is a online fish store. Order a fuzzy and you get what they have.

Divers den is a what you see is what you get...wyswyg... This is where you will find you specialized aquarium critters, generally pricier, but already eating at least live foods. If you are looking for a specific fish, it may come up here. They also send out daily email alerts about what could b released for that days purchase. I am central time zone and it comes around 12:00 each day.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live aquaria is a online fish store. Order a fuzzy and you get what they have.

Divers den is a what you see is what you get...wyswyg... This is where you will find you specialized aquarium critters, generally pricier, but already eating at least live foods. If you are looking for a specific fish, it may come up here. They also send out daily email alerts about what could b released for that days purchase. I am central time zone and it comes around 12:00 each day.

Thanks. That clears things up. Do they generally have a lot available on divers den?

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red fuzzy

yellow fuzzy

pair, sorry not the cleanes

zebra...notice the 'T' one the tail

specialized fish divers den gets...bluefin lionfish

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. Those are some nice looking ones. I did notice the tail

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to know about the zebra lion. Some are VERY finicky. Go to LionfishLair.com - Welcome to the Jungle... the site owners have had very bad luck keeping one alive. I consider them experts in the scorp realm. I was able to keep one for a couple years, till I made a stupid move and allowed ich into my system.

Ones that eat quick seem to do fine. If you find one at a lfs make them feed it in front of you. Don't care if it "just ate" make them feed. If it doesn't eat skip it. If it "just ate" come back in a few hours and ask again to see it fed. Lions are gluttons and will eat a lot.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I am leaning toward the fuzzy because of that reason. I would hate to order one and it end up dying because it will not eat.

OP
OP
T

tierbett

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to know about the zebra lion. Some are VERY finicky. Go to LionfishLair.com - Welcome to the Jungle... the site owners have had very bad luck keeping one alive. I consider them experts in the scorp realm. I was able to keep one for a couple years, till I made a stupid move and allowed ich into my system.

Ones that eat quick seem to do fine. If you find one at a lfs make them feed it in front of you. Don't care if it "just ate" make them feed. If it doesn't eat skip it. If it "just ate" come back in a few hours and ask again to see it fed. Lions are gluttons and will eat a lot.

Are the fish sold from live aquaria, not divers den, usually healthy fish?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
red fuzzy

yellow fuzzy

pair, sorry not the cleanes

zebra...notice the 'T' one the tail

specialized fish divers den gets...bluefin lionfish

Love the yellow! After free one for years and can never find one.
Is the bluefin as difficult as they say? I was looking into them a few years ago and heard they don't last any longer than 6 months in captivity if try ever decide to eat.

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live Aquaria and Divers Den are top notch. I have ordered dozens and dozens of fish and corals from them over the years. Most items have a no hassle 14 day garuntee. Ibjave known the director of DD for years he is a great guy and runs an A+ facility. Buy with confidence.
My dwarf harem consisted of 5 lions. 2m, 3f. It was pre digital camera in your pocket. Not sure if I have a pic from my old Olympus. It was 12 ish Years ago. I'll go digging when I het a chance. This weekend maybe.
While I prefer LA and DD for online suppliers Blue Zoo has some decent stuff from time to time.
+1,on seening something eat at a LFS. If they don't want to show you there is a reason IMO it is never a good reason.
And to specifically answer the LA question about fish health. Never had a problem.

Sorry to jump around in my reply. Lack of sleep has my brain a little fried

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellow! After free one for years and can never find one.
Is the bluefin as difficult as they say? I was looking into them a few years ago and heard they don't last any longer than 6 months in captivity if try ever decide to eat.

The bluefin is a temperate species. I keep him at 62° constant. Other then that he hasn't been a issue at all. Eats good, begs like other lions, and has amazing color. In October I believe I will have had him for two years.

xrayjeeper83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob how did you tell the male from female? I'd love to get a harem going in my 75.

Love my yellow fuzzy
uploadfromtaptalk1409873617510.jpg

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the odds of a lionfish eating a pair of clowns if I have the clowns for a while first? I've always wanted a lion, but I don't know if its a good idea. Got a 55 I am going to be using and eventually adding corals

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the odds of a lionfish eating a pair of clowns if I have the clowns for a while first? I've always wanted a lion, but I don't know if its a good idea. Got a 55 I am going to be using and eventually adding corals

If the clowns are big and the lion is small you'll be ok. But when the lion grows up you'll possibly have issues.
How big are your clowns?

bclark1289

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns are big and the lion is small you'll be ok. But when the lion grows up you'll possibly have issues.
How big are your clowns?
This is all hypathetical talk at the moment. I am setting up the tank and laying out the options. The theoretical lion fish won't go in for a while until the clowns mature and I get them some coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back