R2R Member Ranks: Starfish Scale

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Just want to explain to you how the new starfish scale works under your user name. It's really easy!

0 post = No Starfish

25 post = 1 Starfish

100 post = 2 Starfish

200 post = 3 Starfish

300 post = 4 Starfish

500 post = 5 Starfish

rank5.jpg

Yep that's it! The more you post the better! :D

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea, but it seems almost redundant since we can view forum posts count and post count doesn't correlate with experience. I wonder how hard it would be to implement a rating system based on quality of posts, I have seen other forums do this as well to some success. Basically there is a reputation icon on the bottom of each post and members would click it for a specific user if the post was informative and helpful. I feel that way the starfish can mean a bit more. Obviously there will have to be some restrictions in place to discourage point padding but just a thought. If you need a real world example I can send you a link.

That is my 2cents...

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it as many people are "visual" people and just don't ever look at the post count.

I do however agree that post count does not always mean your information should be taken as gold... Anyone in the hobby should know that all info needs to be thouroghly researched and verified before being implemented into practice. If they don't know this, they will learn quickly when they get a bit of bad advice.

I have been on a site with the rating system and unfortunately it ends up being friends rate their friends and only certain people get points. Also you can't really go on that as someone who just started R2R with 0 posts and 0 rep may be the most knowledgeable person in the world and you just wouldn't know it.

All in all it looks good! I really like the additions and changes lately Rev!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In all honesty it is just about getting people to post a little more. I know on forums where they have user ranks like this it makes me want to get a new rank! LOL! This has nothing to do with experience it is more about member activity. We also do have the user reputation system in place. Look a the little star on the bottom of each persons post. :)

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe turn the starfish to golden starfish as people get 1000,2000,3000,4000 posts, etc.

dsmhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty it is just about getting people to post a little more. I know on forums where they have user ranks like this it makes me want to get a new rank! LOL! This has nothing to do with experience it is more about member activity. We also do have the user reputation system in place. Look a the little star on the bottom of each persons post. :)

Makes perfect sense. I didnt even notice the star at the bottom. I should start using it.

Maybe turn the starfish to golden starfish as people get 1000,2000,3000,4000 posts, etc.

Great idea.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I actually thought about this with the gold star and everything so you just confirmed it! LOL! I'll work on those tonight maybe. :)

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude Let me get some stars :) I think people should get stars by experience level you can have 1000000 post and have no clue what u talking about when it comes down to reef tanks .

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Again this is about being active and for fun, not about knowledge. :)

cdness...lol

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so that explains the starfish, but what do the "Excellence" labels that I've noticed signify (maybe I'm out of the loop)? Some members have more flair than that dude from office space :tongue:

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so that explains the starfish, but what do the "Excellence" labels that I've noticed signify (maybe I'm out of the loop)? Some members have more flair than that dude from office space :tongue:

We are launching the Community Excellence awards soon...keep ay eye out for it :)

I honestly thought about removing the Card Holder and stuff just to have fewer labels, haha

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back