Stupid mistake

808jaymakoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I made a real stupid mistake. I went to the local fish store with my wife and looked at their new shipment of fish. My wife saw a raccoon butterfly that she had to have so I asked the lfs which has given me bad advice in the past if it was reef safe and anything I should know about the fish. They said it would be fine. Dumb me didn't even pull out the smart phone to take a quick peek for myself and out of impulse and her want of the fish I brought it home. I acclimated it and put it in and to my surprise its bothering my **** palys. Haha I feel like an idiot. All of the palys are closed cause it keeps picking at it. The raccoon butterfly fish is still extremely young so I don't think it's doin any damage to them but this is still not good. So what's the next step? Take the raccoon out or any ways to convince the fish to stay away from the coral. Again I'm an idiot.

OP
OP
808jaymakoa

808jaymakoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 gallon. Which I know is to small for an adult raccoon butterfly but I'm planning my tank upgrade right now. Will be in the next 6 months

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will pick at your corals. Would not recommend with corals.

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs did the same to me with a heniochus, told me it would be fine in a reef, took it home, put it in the tank and within a few hours it was harassing my kryptonite and a few of my zoas. I removed the fish a day later.

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish traps can take alot of time. or you can use a hook without a barb. I used a hook to catch a blue/green chromis that went crazy mean.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find catching a fish during lights out, while the fish has settled down for sleep is pretty easy. They don't see the net coming :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

OP
OP
808jaymakoa

808jaymakoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this guy is not coming out easy. I tried for the last two hours with no success. I really don't want to have to take any rock out and it's looking like I probley will. My other fish are attacking him to.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 79.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back