Drill Hole Sizes? Need input.

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

Just putting the finishing touches on my new tank order and would like some input on the drill hole sizes for my overflow. LeeMar Eurobrace with dimensions of 60 X 30 X 20, peninsula style with a trapezoidal overflow on one end. I'm intending to use a Reeflo Dart for my return and it has a 1.5" output. It is being recommended that I have a 1" inch hole cut for the return line and a 2" inch hole cut for the drain line. The return would have a Y split to two serpentine/lockline jets. I will have 2 Vortech MP40ES for additional flow.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand the question perfectly.. are you asking about hole size for bulkheads or how many holes..
Or what size?!?!
one return one hole?!?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have two 1.5" drains ran herbie style and a 1.5" return that can be split into 3 or four 1" returns for maximum use of that dart.... I love those pumps and they push!!! I ran a calflo c2c with bean animals dead silent failsafe system which had three 1.5" drains and I ran a single 2" return pipe into a manifold on the back of the tank that had three 1.5" tank jets and it was flawless!!!!;)

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH YES I run a Herbie style c2c too Flawless and silent yes two x1 1/2" for safety back up..

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I typed that hastily while trying to grill steaks at the same time. :squigglemouth: I'll clarify after I chow down!

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, back now. So you're saying my return hole should be a 1.5 inch cut that can branch into 3 or 4 separate 1" jets (I'm assuming this would be in the center of the trapezoid?)

Then, two 1.5" drain holes? Since I'm not too familiar with the Herbie method (just looked at a couple pics), one of the 1.5" drain pipes will be set below the water level and the 2nd one just above it?

Shouldn't the main Herbie drain be 2" pipe to more than adequately handle the flow the pump is putting into the tank?? Then backup drain would be 1.5?

I'll post a hand drawn pic in a second.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a crudely drawn pic, but I think it gets the point across. Top down view - Central is a 1.5" return line that branches into four 1" locline jets. Main Herbie drain is 2" on lower left and safety drain is 1.5" on right.
IMAG0048.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Troylee, always nice to have a bit of assurance from a master DIYer like yourself. Technicially there will be 3 stand pipes right? 1 return, 2 drains?

I still don't understand how the Herbie works....seems to me that you'd still get a sucking noise from the siphon created in the main drain pipe???

Last edited:

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might also want to set it up so that the backup can handle most of the flow if the main were clogged.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sphion has zero noise because no air is induced it's pure water and with no air it drains in a hurry!!!! Lol so make sure you have a valve to control the flow on the full sphion or your dart won't be able to keep up with a 2" sphion...
Fwiw a 1" drain ran at full sphion can handle in excess of 2000gph by it's self a 2" sphion at full flow would be around 5000gph.... It's a set and forget system once you have it dialed it you will love it.... Zero noise and major flow...;)
The emergency drain is just a spare sphion if something was to clog the main and the water level rises the second one kicks in and protects you from a flood.... I would just plumb the emergency with straight pipe and no valve... The worst it would do is suck air in the overflow box which would tell you hey something is wrong my emergency drain is kicked in...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sphion has zero noise because no air is induced it's pure water and with no air it drains in a hurry!!!! Lol so make sure you have a valve to control the flow on the full sphion or your dart won't be able to keep up with a 2" sphion...
Fwiw a 1" drain ran at full sphion can handle in excess of 2000gph by it's self a 2" sphion at full flow would be around 5000gph.... It's a set and forget system once you have it dialed it you will love it.... Zero noise and major flow...;)
The emergency drain is just a spare sphion if something was to clog the main and the water level rises the second one kicks in and protects you from a flood.... I would just plumb the emergency with straight pipe and no valve... The worst it would do is suck air in the overflow box which would tell you hey something is wrong my emergency drain is kicked in...

Ok, that's the way I understood it working, but it still seemed that their would be a "toilet bowl" effect. So what your'e saying is that by adjusting both the pump flow, as well as the drain flow, with minor ball valve adjustments here and there, you are able to get it to a point of perfect balance, thus eliminating the sucking / air drawing effect that an overpowered siphon would have??

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you might also want to set it up so that the backup can handle most of the flow if the main were clogged.

So since that Dart can put out about 3600 GPH (and I won't have much head pressure at all), I should consider switching to 1.5" or even 2"? Well, more like 2" according to this chart? GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

I see it as HIGHLY unlikely that my 2" main drain would clog completely, so if my backup were 1.5", together, they should be able to handle the flow. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have them just both be 2" though if they don't crowd out the overflow box right? Better to go overboard, safe than sorry, etc?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that's the way I understood it working, but it still seemed that their would be a "toilet bowl" effect. So what your'e saying is that by adjusting both the pump flow, as well as the drain flow, with minor ball valve adjustments here and there, you are able to get it to a point of perfect balance, thus eliminating the sucking / air drawing effect that an overpowered siphon would have??
correct... i would run the dart wide open and just adjust the drain valve accordingly.... it's good to have a valve on the intake and output of the dart so you can shut them both and remove the pump without draining the tank...;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since that Dart can put out about 3600 GPH (and I won't have much head pressure at all), I should consider switching to 1.5" or even 2"? Well, more like 2" according to this chart? GPM/GPH Flow based on PVC Pipe Size, ie, How much water can flow through Sch 40 Pvc Pipe Size 1/2" 3/4" 1" 1.5" 2" 2.5" 3" 4" 6"

I see it as HIGHLY unlikely that my 2" main drain would clog completely, so if my backup were 1.5", together, they should be able to handle the flow. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have them just both be 2" though if they don't crowd out the overflow box right? Better to go overboard, safe than sorry, etc?
i would go with 1.5" on both it's plenty imho.... figure the dart to push around 3000gph when said and done.... go by the green chart althou it's not the gravity shown, when ran at a full sphion it goes..... this is just been my exp. and i have plenty of it...lol
if you have a standard durso on your tank or a friends cover the little hole on top with your finger and watch how fast it drains the overflow box... it's insane lol....

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct... i would run the dart wide open and just adjust the drain valve accordingly.... it's good to have a valve on the intake and output of the dart so you can shut them both and remove the pump without draining the tank...;)

How do you feel about unions? I was just going to put a union on the intake and a union, with a ball valve above, on the output/return?

Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooops forgot.. yeah you need unions on both sides lol.... how will you keep the sump from draining if you remove the pump for maintence???
i had one dart set up where i didnt have the room for a valve on the intake so what i did was used a 2" threaded bulkhead in the sump so when i needed to remove the pump i could just thread a plug in the bulkhead "which you can buy at hd, lowes etc....it worked like a charm.. you get a little spill but nothing major...

OP
OP
jcom

jcom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i needed to remove the pump i could just thread a plug in the bulkhead "which you can buy at hd, lowes etc....it worked like a charm.. you get a little spill but nothing major...

This was my plan too (and is what I do on my current 120G), but maybe just put a ball valve for simplicity sake since I'll have plenty of room. Thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back