Help Need Sump Design input Badly

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently i moved my plumbing to the garage about 14 foot run. I was advised i use a coralife 1110gph pressure pump since i would be running my 90 display returns , chiller , 30 gal refugium and near future frag tank off of it. I am using an A.E tech sump LxWxH 30x14x16x1/4 . here is a link RE HD 30 . this sump works , but i am still getting ore bubbles then i would ever want. i tried making my own sump using a 30 long with a triple baffle setup twice. I can't seem to get rid of micro bubbles and push a good amount of flow at the same time. Can anyone or does anyone have sump designs to handle the flow and also not cause any micro bubbles. any input or links to threads on this would be much appreciated. should i be thinking of using a 48 in length for a sump? help

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is how my system is in the garage. i am going to moving it to the right. basically shifting over 5 feet. i will have more room for the setup and can go with a bigger sump. just need some design on bubble trap and be able to handle the flow. hear is a shot of the sump i am using now as well as a shot of the sump i made.

SAM_0229.jpg

sump i am using. it's 30x14x16
SAM_0146.jpg

sump i made 36x12x16
SAM_0231.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing is all your threaded connections need to be sealed with Teflon paste... I bet that's the problem the return pump is sucking air on one of the joints.... It won't drip water but it can suck air causing the bubbles you see in the display...

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am going to be going over my plumbing , and taking some much needed thought into my next step. i have a feeling my plumbing has a good part in the bubbles. might go with plumbing it with tubing not pvc to eliminate some restriction. might connect my two sumps together since i have the space. increase bubble diffusion. i keep this updated.

slugwall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find out what the issue was? Did you find the right size pump for your sump and length of head that needs to push up to the return?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back