DIY Skimmer

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have seen people making their own skimmers on here, but now for some reason cant find any info on it. Could some people drop their threads on this one? Thanks

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mojo has the diy bk mini thread i also have my atb one hid in the realm of my drop off tank thread.....i would have to search them....:( diy bk mini and troylees drop tank.... not sure on any others...

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you guys have!

Troylee - Thanks. I have seen yours, now I just need to find that thread.

Basically I was interested in the concepts, and how people have liked them as opposed to other skimmers that they have owned.

Was it worth it cost/time wise?

Thanks

tcfab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built many skimmers, unless you have all the tools you will need (router, router bits, tablesaw) and a good know how on building complex parts with acrylic, you can actually spend almost the same amount of money as just buying one. I personally like building my own because it gives me self gratification of building my own equipment. If you do have all the tools already and have some acrylic experience you can save quite a bit of money. When I first starting building stuff I spent alot of money on tools and alot on acrylic and it took quite a few projects to start to get the hang of working with acrylic.

OP
OP
kingfisherfleshy

kingfisherfleshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not pretending to have the know-how or the tools. I just wanted to see some, and hear how people felt about them. It seems like a great way to get a skimmer that could be huge and overly powerful, which are two things that I am big on when it comes to skimmers. Just got one rated for 200g for my 125g...but still wish I could have a little more power. Oh well.

Here is the link to the thread of Troylee's: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/li...scussion/42786-bk-mini-skimmer-build-diy.html

tcfab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound rude, hope it didn't come off that way. Yeah it really is a cool experience to build your first skimmer and see it run and working. If you have some of those tools I would say go for it, it definitely is a cool project:bigsmile:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could save a few bucks... It's really just a learning exp more than anything... I can tell ya my diy atb saved me 500$ but I'm still in it for a grand If that tells you anything.... The price can rack up real quick and the time involved is just insane on those skimmers to be honest... I could have saved time an money but I'm so anal about my work if I got a bubble in the glue joint I would toss it and make another piece lol...

Back