Clear mesh top

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would share the cover I have been using to keep fish from jumping out of my tank. I have been using this mesh for tops for about 18 months and couldn't be happier. I used a glass top for several months, but don't like the glass because it accumulates condesation and salt spray which blocks light. I also had heat issues with the glass top.

The screen doesn't hold heat at all. After the halide was on all day, it is barely warm to the touch right under the bulb.

For those of you that use eggcrate, this top is also better because it allows more light to pass than eggcrate. With a metal halide, I got dark corners when I tried eggcrate. The light difference is hardly noticable with the clear mesh screen!

I have tried both 1/2 inch mesh and 1/4 inch mesh, both work very well. If you have real small fish, then the 1/4 is the way to go and doesn't compromise light intensity.

Here's photos of the top on the tank.

screen_top1.jpg

screen_top2.jpg

OP
OP
J

jimsflies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you DIY reefers, here is how I made the screen mesh top:

Materials Needed:
2 - 48" screen aluminum framing material (HD, Lowes, Menards, etc)
4 - screen frame corners
1 - roll of spline material
1 - spline roller
1 - roll of screening material (see Jimsflies description above)

photos courtesy of beakerbob...

Cut the aluminum framing to the interior size of the top of the tank lip (minus 1/16"), insert the corner and snap together:

frame_1.jpg

frame_2.jpg

Lay the screening on the framework and, using the splining tool, press the spline into the groove of the frame, starting at one corner and working around:
frame_3.jpg

frame_4.jpg

The splining will keep the screen taunt. Trim the excess screen material off the frame:

frame_5.jpg

And you have completed the screened tank top!

frame_6.jpg

czieler

Reefin' Girl
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone in our local club posted something similar this week... and I went out and got all the stuff to build it yesterday...except for one thing he didn't mention.

To cut the aluminum frame... I think you need a hacksaw ( correct me if you used something else ) ... I tried a black and decker power hand saw...and it mutilated the end of the frame where it cut it so badly that it wouldn't fit on the corner piece... so I plan to run out today for a fine tooth hacksaw.

got zoanthids?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm, I always worry about the heat. Is the mesh metallic or nylon? How long have you used this? no worry of burning if it is nylon? Excuse my ignorance, I just worry of heat buildup starting fires.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was just wondering how much the materials cost if you dont have any of this stuff?

poolshark181

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cant find this mesh at lowes, and they look at me like im crazy when i asked. where di you find it? all they pointed me to was mosquito screen

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy a window screen kit with all the connector and frame pieces and spline for about $10...

The screen you can actually get from Jim.

He had to buy 30 miles of it, so hes got a ton.

Honest to God, mine saves my wrasses ATLEAST once a day.

everytime im down by my tank, i hear the screen rattle from one of them crashing into it.

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I am sure he will answer a PM. I'll give him a call for you to make sure he gets it.

I sent Jim a pm also. I made a screen using black mesh but I'd like to get a hold of some of the clear mesh.

If you can't get the clear stuff from Jim, the same stuff in black is availble from most pond stores or nursery for only a few dollars. It's used to protect ponds and gardens from nirds.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't get the clear stuff from Jim, the same stuff in black is availble from most pond stores or nursery for only a few dollars. It's used to protect ponds and gardens from nirds.

I sent him a pm as well. I did find 1/4" clear mesh netting at www.industrialnetting.com. It is called clam netting, and is available in clear. Too late to call today. They sell it in their aquaculture section. No idea on pricing. I'll call tomorrow and let everyone know.
Dave

Last edited:

Emc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am a dork. That's a cool site Dave. They have 1/6 inch mess also. I'm going to have ot give them a call too. Thanks. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back