40 br drilling?

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on setting up a 40br(aqueon) and am needing info on the best way to drill it for safety and durability reasons. I would like to drill 2 holes in the bottom, one for main drain and one for emergency drain. Where would be the best location to drill since I would really like to avoid ever having the bottom crack;). For now my plan is to use a piece of black acrylic at a 45 degree angle for an overflow.

Jcr's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just give yourself some space from the edge and silicon and you'll be fine:wink:

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

cichlidtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished drilling the same tank and went with a Beananimal design. You can take a look at my build thread to see how I did it. Anyway the general rule of thumb is at least 1" or to be safe one hole size from the edge. It's not that difficult to do, just be patient as with everything else in this hobby.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/member-tanks/51949-40br-ready-water.html

Reggie

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom on that is tempered, and will shatter like said above. Drill the back and put on a overflow, you will have more room and be happier in tge end. If you drill it your self go slow and use lots of water, and a good diamond hole saw bit.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a reef buddy who just drilled two holes in his $40 aqueon 40br on the bottom. Apparently its not tempered.... also wondering if it would be a good idea to silicone a piece of drilled glass underneath that would line up with the already drilled holes to help reinforce and support the drilled glass.(sorry for the poorly worded sentence)

Last edited:

aalvarado87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you drill the back of the tank you can do one of those drain systems where you have three drains one full siphon one half and one emergency i forgot what its called but i believe it is one of the most failsafe systems on the market. drilling the back of a tank accomplishes the same thing as drilling the bottom.

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm almost sure that the bottom glass is tempered, it will shatter if you try drilling it. the best way to do it is with the box from glass-holes.com, they send a kit with the overflow box, bulkheads and glass drilling kit. this boxes work from the back of the aquarium.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only difference is your drilling 3 holes as opposed to 2 which still concerns me. I want this tank to be as structurally sound as possible.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm almost sure that the bottom glass is tempered, it will shatter if you try drilling it. the best way to do it is with the box from glass-holes.com, they send a kit with the overflow box, bulkheads and glass drilling kit. this boxes work from the back of the aquarium.
I'll have to check out that site... but like I posted above, I do know a guy who just recently drilled the bottom of a brand new aqueon tank and had no issues.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I guess the question I'm now asking is if its possible to drill either the bottom or the back, which would be the best as far as preventing cracking? I would like to drill at least 2 holes, one for main drain and one for emergency.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure that's safer??? I believe the bottom is noticeably thicker and I would think stronger, albeit it has more pressure on it so...

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I purchased mine, I was told that the bottoms are now only tempered glass on the larger tanks. I wouldn't necessary say that was gospel, as I had the LFS check for me, but that is what they said they were told. I haven't drilled mine, so like I said, I can't state that for certain.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend that drilled his brand new aqueon 40br on the bottom. Hard to know what to believe anymore:)

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw an interesting article once that you can take your computer and put it in the tank and look throw the glass and the glass will put off a different look between tempered and not, but i cant remember where i saw it you might google it. or just take it to a glass shop they should be able to tell you

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its weird how you can tell if its tempered or not... I thought that you could also do it by using polarized sunglasses...

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mmhm that would be interesting i have never heard of using polarized sunglasses... do you know if you can use them in a full tank and see if its tempered. or know of a way that you can? i am about to drain my 90g so i can drill it but would rather not if its not even tempered.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never seen so many posts of wrong info!
not one 40 breeder that i have ever heard of being tempered in any pane!
silicone is not needed on bulkheads nor is it recommended
obviously you dont want to drill right by any joint in the tank. if i remember correctly it should be atleast 1 inch away from a seam. it might be more look up safe edge distance for drilling glass. there is an actual formula. stick to it and youll be safe.

most tank company sites will tell you about tempered or not and even then you could also email them and ask.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back