40 br drilling?

Alattner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well nixer thats why we have more knowledgeable people like you hear to help us new kids out. its all about learning :wink: but thank you for the info and the correction

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally fine with people's ideas or opinions just as long as they are not stated as fact. Thanks for the comments so far folks :)

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure that's safer??? I believe the bottom is noticeably thicker and I would think stronger, albeit it has more pressure on it so...

i have drilled three tanks already and never had a crack. the holesaw is easy to use and it also comes with a template so that it doesn't wobble around. all you have to do is keep a water hose on it while you drill to keep the glass cool because it will get hot. the people at glass-holes.com have a great video on how to drill your tank. its very simple.

jledon4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, do not at pressure to the drill at any moment! you should let the drill do it with the diamond tip it has. it's not cutting but eating through the glass. light pressure and make sure you set the drill clutch on the lowest torque setting.

nixer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I were to drill 2 holes in the back upper corner, what (plumbing)setup would be the best one to use for silence and also an emergency drain... Would I want to drill a bit lower or higher? I would like the main drain to handle up to 600 gph if needed so would I need 1 1/2 bulkheads?

greg0385

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the sunglasses and lcd screen works, there is a video on youtube, i have used it and it does work, you can get a diamond bit on ebay from japan for like 15dollars shipped. i first used the diamond bit on a 4"x4" plexiglass, then i place the plexiglasss where i wanted to drill and it makes a great guide. place drill on lowest clutch gear so that if it binds up, the clutch engauges. never press on drill, just let the weight of drill sand away at glass. use a spray bottle or water hose on slow stream to keep glass and bit cool and clear of debris. after you drill your first hole you realize its really easy. just don't rush through drilling the holes, 15mins to drill half inch glass on low gear is what it took me. prob could do alot faster but im fine going slow vs buying new glass or tank. JUST MAKE SURE ITS NOT TEMPERED, IT WILL EXPLOXED FROM EXPERIENCE PRIOR TO THE SUNGLASSES TEST!!
greg

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you decide to do with the drilling and do you have pictures?

Waiting for another $1 a gal. sale at petco first. Still haven't decided if I'm gonna drill the bottom or back. I have plenty of time since I don't plan on having this tank up till april or may.

Fragtastic Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill the bottom of the tank. I have read that all the new 40br are not tempred on the bottom anymore. There is usually a sticker that will tell you if its tempered.

OP
OP
dougers31

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drill the bottom of the tank. I have read that all the new 40br are not tempred on the bottom anymore. There is usually a sticker that will tell you if its tempered.

Yep, I know of two people now that have recently drilled the bottom on one. Why would you drill the bottom instead of the back? I would like to hear your opinions on the matter.

p.s. I think your that guy got his saw.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back