65 gallons of pretty

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife picked this used tank up for me for Christmas. It has small problems, as anything used (and sometimes new) will have.

65.jpg

So I got started by cutting out and replacing all the corner silicone and redoing the sump so the water level will be about 4 inches higher so it would be a little better for a DSB refugium.

I'm going to be adding a shelf to the stand around the base of the tank so I yanked off the trim around the upper part and I'm not really a fan of the color so I pulled all of the hardware off of it in order to prep for a repaint. Nothing too fancy as I don't want to take any attention from the tank or stained glass panels. I'll be ordering sand and rock from Marcorocks and using Dr. Tims to get the cycle a bit shorter. I'm hoping I'll have it full of water in about two weeks.

Wish me luck.

Last edited:

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Luck! that is quite a unique stand!! I wouldn't rush the cycling though…. so important to be patient so your tank will be really ready for your precious livestock…..
cheers!

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I know. Just cuz I'm shooting for a couple weeks doesn't mean I'll make it. :yo:

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see how this tank comes together!

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Have you read this? The Mature Aquarium

Oh, I understand. I'll be using the existing 40ish gallons of water from my current setup and basically transfer the majority of the live rock from my current setup into the sump along with the existing substrate. So basically it'll be a 50% water change with addition of some dry rock and a fresh sand bed. Most of the hardware (return pump, wp25, reactors, etc.) will be transferred from the small tank to the larger one also.

I will be paying attention to parameters before I actually add any livestock to it. I'd like to get it going fast but, I'm not going to endanger all the critters I've watched grow over the last year.

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've had to get new cooling fans, repaint the whole stand (on request of the wife), order a new skimmer, new cabinet hardware and a multitude of other items. Waiting for the boxes to start showing up.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you're going to be busy!

OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the fan controller in
1390362795702.jpg
and taken apart in order to make the leads longer so they'd reach from the canopy to the sump area where the controller will be located

Attachments

• 1390362912186.jpg
    1390362912186.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 421
OP
OP
Mole

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New fans and thermostatic controller installed, cabinet painted, upper tank frame replaced, leak tested and pan liner installed in lower cabinet.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back