Our 30g Rimless

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captc07 and I got this tank as a trade for our 29g Biocube.

I was trying to sell the Biocube as I just wasn't happy with it. I was not looking for another tank, but the deal was too good to pass up.

We traded with another CTARS member for a Geissman 250w MH fixture, skimmer/pump, sump, 30g Deep Blue Rimless with Black stand.

For a little while it was treated as a display tank. It has mostly served as a frag tank for the past 6 months.

I'm going to dig through the archives and see if I can find a few older photos as well as posting some new ones.

The goal eventually is transition this back to a display tank, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Pictures to follow shortly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pictures were taken when we started out as a display tank..

This picture is when we started with just a few frags in the tank...still had rock in the display area (not just the sump).

OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a recent picture. We're gearing up for a frag swap in March.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390874556470.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390874556470.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 362
OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock list on this tank..

Scopas Tang, Sixline Wrasse, Goldstripe Maroon, and a few snails

Lots of coral...mostly Zoanthids, Palys, and Acans..but a splash of chalices, mushrooms, and a few others.

OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broke the tank down shortly after the Frag Farmer's Market in March. Tried selling the tank as a whole setup by had no takers.
After a frag swap in July, I decided to set the tank up again.

It has been cycling for a little while. Ammonia and Nitrite both consistently testing 0. Nitrates there but very low. I now have 3 snails and 1 hermit crab in the tank.
I'm going to start slowly putting fish and coral into the tank.

We are in the process of breaking down our 125g tank, so some of the coral will go in the 30g, as well as some frags from our 80g frag tank.

I used a mixture of half bag of sugar fine sand (on the bottom), a 10lb bag of crushed coral, and a 20lb bag of Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand 1.0-2.0 mm. Mostly dry rock, with one piece of live rock I broke into pieces to make smaller and fit my scaping ideas.

Here are a few pictures of the tank during cycling:

It's hard to get a feel for the look of it by the photos, but in person the rock formation in the front seems like it's naturally forming out of the sand.

Definite upcoming stock list:

My gold-stripe maroon named Joe (probably Josephine now that it's been without a mate for so long)

Joe is in front in this picture, not the best pic but hoping to capture a better pic soon!

This was Joe's woman (R.I.P.)

This pair was a wild caught pair. Very beautiful rich,deep but bright maroon color and very vibrant gold...not like the standards you see in most stores.

Rainbow Flower Anemone (picked up from Aqua SD)

As for anything else, I haven't decided on the other fish. Some of the fish from the 125g may find a new home in this tank, but not sure which ones.

Planning to do alot of zoas, acans, bowers with a few sps pieces towards the top.

OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I haven't taken any recent FTS because the tank was going through a diatom bloom and a had a bit of hair algae. The skimmer is not working the same as it did previous to the breakdown, and I'm starting research to replace it.

Last weekend we got a tiny yellow eyed kole tang from Exotic Fish and Corals in Milford. It will eventually go into our 80g once it is up and running, but for now is living happily in the 30g and has eaten 99% of the hair algae. We also got a pair of harlequin shrimp for The Coral Reef in Stratford. They are so cool to look at.

I snapped a couple pics of both of them as well as a pic of a duncan we moved from our 125g tank breakdown. This duncan, if I remember correctly, was a 2 head frag when we got it about 1 1/2-2 yrs ago. I just fed it in the pic so you can see more of the heads.

OP
OP
sassAwrasse

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also have a PJ Cardinal in there, which was moved from the 125g.
3 different types of hermits (1 scarlet, 1 blue leg, and 1 larger unknown I got from Aqua Dreams that seems to eat some hair algae).
2 Mexican Turbos, 2 nassarius snails, 2 banded trochus.
I moved a 3p Tyree Orange Rainbow frag and a 1 polyp utter chaos in there.
I also moved a green and purple frogspawn from the 125g into the 30g. I'm going to slowly transition some other corals into the tank and want to move the flower anemone over to the 30g at the end of January.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back