*FrankAbagnale's Sweet Mixed Reef Build*

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a long reader on this forum but haven't posted much. I'm hoping to change that today!

My LFS was having a sale on 75G tanks for $75! I of course picked one up and will be tearing down my 40 breeder and replacing it with the 75 with black silicone.

Here are the details.

Tank: Marineland 75 w/ Black Silicone
Sump: Not 100% sure, but probably a Trigger System Ruby30
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NWB4 110 (Until I decide to buy a new one)
Lights: 6 Bulb T5HO (Looking at making a change here as well)
Stand: Custom Built
I'm moving most the equipment from my 40 breeder to the 75, but will be making some changes the first part of 2015.

I've had the tank since the 1st of December and built the stand last week.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be plumbing this tank with a Bean Animal design.

BAO is building me an overflow and I should have it by the 1st week of January. The overflow is 16" long and only 2" front to back.

I'm probably going to stick with one 3/4" return.

I also ordered a couple of sweet dosing containers from BAO. Received them this week!

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a shot of the room my current tank is in. The 75 will be going against the same wall as the tv.

Here are a few videos of the 40 breeder. I originally had the tank in a wall in the basement, but decided to move it upstairs.

[video=youtube_share;z1m5PIRzd_4]http://youtu.be/z1m5PIRzd_4?list=UUjDa16rNmnCWnPPIr-N_B6A[/video]

[video=vimeo;107194525]https://vimeo.com/107194525[/video]

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using a 29G tank for my current tanks sump, but was wanting to get something a little nicer.

I was planning on ordering the Trigger System Ruby30S sump next week. Does anyone have any other ideas before I make the order?

I was thinking Synergy or BAO, but the BAO sumps are pretty expensive and Synergy doesn't look like it will be up and running in time for this build.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice build!

curious how you feel about the 2 mp10's facing each other, that's the same setup I'm using and I'm not sure the flow is the greatest, the flow meets in the middle and doesn't disperse quite like I'd like.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really had no complaints with the MP10's on my breeder. I have mine programmed using my Apex and WXM module and everything in the tank seems happy with the flow.

I actually plan on using them on the 75 until I buy a MP40. I might try an MP40 on one side and two MP10's on the other side.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a shot of the room my current tank is in. The 75 will be going against the same wall as the tv.

Here are a few videos of the 40 breeder. I originally had the tank in a wall in the basement, but decided to move it upstairs.

[video=youtube_share;z1m5PIRzd_4]http://youtu.be/z1m5PIRzd_4?list=UUjDa16rNmnCWnPPIr-N_B6A[/video]

[video=vimeo;107194525]https://vimeo.com/107194525[/video]

wow what camera did u use to film the video? Dslr? GoPro?

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've really had no complaints with the MP10's on my breeder. I have mine programmed using my Apex and WXM module and everything in the tank seems happy with the flow.

I actually plan on using them on the 75 until I buy a MP40. I might try an MP40 on one side and two MP10's on the other side.

One mp40 on one side and one mp10 on the back of the tank a little towards the top works perfectly.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One mp40 on one side and one mp10 on the back of the tank a little towards the top works perfectly.

Nice! Thanks for the advice! I have to see how I do the rock in the 75. I think I will just move the rock from my 40 over, but I'm haven't decided yet.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to buy some new sand, the sump, and plumbing supplies. I would like to buy an MP40, another Energy Bar 8, Breakout Box, and possibly look at new lights.

I have a 6 bulb 36" T5HO light. I'm planning on hanging it over the 48" 75 for the time being. I have thought about moving to all LED or LED/T5 mix.

ReefCartel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going the LED/T5 Route. i only have all LEDs right now so once my tank gets established I will buy the 36" 8x39W Ati fixture.

1000_smiles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Frank, Looks great so far. Makes me want to upgrade my tank. The overflow and dosing containers are really nice. Who is BAO? I tried searching for them, and got a bunch of Korean links.

OP
OP
FrankAbagnale

FrankAbagnale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I really like those 2 part containers and the overflow.

Thanks! He definitely does good work.

Hi Frank, Looks great so far. Makes me want to upgrade my tank. The overflow and dosing containers are really nice. Who is BAO? I tried searching for them, and got a bunch of Korean links.

Pretty pumped about the upgrade! It's Building an Obcession. He has items that can be purchased but also does custom items like this overflow.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back