My starting over thread

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last October my husband bought me a used reef tank off craigslist. I had a FOWLR about 10 years ago, but with kids and such I didn't have time to keep up with it. So since the youngest was getting older my husband decided I needed a hobby:) Well when we got the tank it was covered, COVERED in all kinds of algae. You couldn't even see in the tank. It came with compact lighting, two HOB filters, 100 lbs. live rock, three damsels, GSP, Kenya trees, and some candy cane coral. My original plan was to set it up temporarily, get rid of live stock and then sterilize and start over the tank. After a couple weeks my husband came home with a porcupine puffer, so the plan didn't take place. He happens to be the impatient one:) We ended up adding a watchman Goby, Coral Beauty Angle, Maroon Clownfish, Got rid of damsels, and a tiny blue hippo tang. So fast forward to a couple weeks ago I decided to get a mandarin Dragonet as well as a HOB protein skimmer. 4 days later mandarin is dead, followed by puffer, Goby, and tang. At first I was advised that what they had was ich, and given bad advice on how to treat from LFS. However I never saw spots on fish until day before they died, so I'm thinking it was velvet. All I had left was the corals/weeds, clownfish and angel. I took all corals to LFS, and set up a 20 gallon Quarentine tank for my survivors (which I needed to anyways). This thread will document my rebuild process. I have aquired a sump as well since.

I've decided to kill most of my live rock and I have purchased new sand. Pink Fiji Agronite. The sand currently in tank is from previous owner and has a ton of sediment all over it. I will keep updating this thread with my progress and ask for suggestions on anything you see. Thank you!

I will post pics asap.

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics
image.jpg
image.jpg

This was taken right before fish died. I plan on redoing it 10 times better. My bday is Saturday, hoping I get LEDs off my wish list.
image.jpg

Temp home for survivors.
image.jpg

Draining and taking out sand.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 174

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its always good to see someone giving new life to an old tank, even after disaster strikes! Good luck. What is that hanging just above the Kenya Tree coral?

OP
OP
L

Laurieo79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old hob protein skimmer. This will not be there any longer:)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back