Starting over... Advice

cmu6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 20 gallon tank back in October with live sand and dry rock.

Long story short: My ATO was not calibrated properly and did not top off my tank while I was away on a trip. This caused a lot of water to evaporate and I had to ask my mom to unplug the motor to keep it from burning out as the water fell lower. I had just finished cycling the tank and wanted to wait until I was back from my trip to add my first fish.

With the holiday madness over I'd like to empty the stagnant water from the tank and start over. Any advice or tips for doing so?

My plan is to dump the sand, rinse out the tank, and start with fresh sand and water. Would I need to do anything to the rock structures in terms of cleaning/bleach?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s silly. Your tank is already at a fresh state.

Turn the pumps back on and monitor ammonia after a few days. If it’s still at 0, add the fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 20 gallon tank back in October with live sand and dry rock.

Long story short: My ATO was not calibrated properly and did not top off my tank while I was away on a trip. This caused a lot of water to evaporate and I had to ask my mom to unplug the motor to keep it from burning out as the water fell lower. I had just finished cycling the tank and wanted to wait until I was back from my trip to add my first fish.

With the holiday madness over I'd like to empty the stagnant water from the tank and start over. Any advice or tips for doing so?

My plan is to dump the sand, rinse out the tank, and start with fresh sand and water. Would I need to do anything to the rock structures in terms of cleaning/bleach?
I dont believe so if the rock was only used in your first attempted cycle with no fish, inverts or any nuisance algae. It should be fine to put in and use to cycle the tank and add some bottled bacteria and ammonia day one only for the ammonia source to get the nitrogen cycle going to cycle your tank and just test for when your numbers are good to indicate a complete cycle!

OP
OP
cmu6

cmu6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s silly. Your tank is already at a fresh state.

Turn the pumps back on and monitor ammonia after a few days. If it’s still at 0, add the fish.
There is a thick film (of what could be dust?) sitting on the top right now but the rest of the water is fairly clear still. I can share a picture later on when I'm home. The pump has been off since early December. If I can just do a water change or something to clear it up that would be awesome!

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thick film (of what could be dust?) sitting on the top right now but the rest of the water is fairly clear still. I can share a picture later on when I'm home. The pump has been off since early December. If I can just do a water change or something to clear it up that would be awesome!
Yes. Do a water change and you’ll be good to go. No need to buy new sand or rock. No need to dismantle the aquarium.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it stinks like rotten eggs when you get the flow going again, you will need to rinse everything out - sand, rocks and the tank. Otherwise, skim the gunk off of the top.

You should have flow pumps in the tank which will keep the water moving even if the sump level gets too low. I would prioritize this purchase.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back