Id?

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed this on a rock in my sump. Is this the dreaded aptasia? If so, what is the best way to get rid of it? Woods like to nip it in the bud before it spreads.

Attachments

• 20150115_072204.jpg
    20150115_072204.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well crap, I thought I was being extra careful not to get it. These things are sneaky. I've heard peppermint shrimp are hit or miss. I only see one and it's in my sump so I'll probably just try and kill it with putting something on it. Are they one of those things that if you see one you probably have a hundred? I'm sure they need light so would they be in the open?

sucio_reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful on the method used to kill them. If you don't get it right it will come back and also release babies in the water column that will attach everywhere.

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia! Get some Aiptasia X. Here's what you do. If the rock is small enough take it out and put it in a container with some water from your tank. The Aiptasia will close up when you take it out but if you use water from your tank it will come back out within about 30 min. Then once it does come out use the X on it. Just put it right on the center. Then give another 30 min and see if it comes back out. If not you can dip it in some coral dip or just R/O water and swish it around and then put it back in your sump/tank. If it's too big to take out for this method then just carefully administer the X on it in the sump. The only reason I say take it out is if you don't kill it you will know and it won't spread right away and you can take actions for a plan B or something. I do it in my tank all the time because most of my rocks are too big. I will kill one and not see another for a couple months. I've been lucky enough that it's only been one every 2-3 months. Not a crazy outbreak.

OP
OP
Thunderfan

Thunderfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the rock is in my sump I can remove it completely. One of my lfs is redoing their display so I got a couple 20s with hob filters for cheap. I am making one if not both into qt. I was advised to take the rock out of my sump that had the intruder and put it in the fish qt. Basically was told it doesn't matter if it grows in there and will help qt. I guess that makes sense. What do you think? Is all aptasia bad or can it be some benefit in fish only qt?

CoralGod

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull the rock out and use a torch lighter and burn them off.... works like a charm. A regular lighter would work fine. After I burn them I just wipe the spot off with a r/o water damp cloth. :)

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 4.2%
Back