Gorgonia ventalina propagation... is it legal?

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm contemplating fragging my G. ventalina. I'm curious, if it's legal to sell an aquacultured common sea fan? My internet searching is not turning up an answer. So, I looking for someone here with the knowledge to educate me.

Thanks,
Tom

DMosk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see why it wouldn't be. I have cut up many colonies of different corals including gorgonian and sold/given them to friends and clients alike. While its illegal to export that particular species from its native Bermuda, I see no reason why it would be a issue to sell something captive grown. Its no different then reefhab or any MAC certified livestock minus the size of the effort.

OP
OP
Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.

I have fragged many a coral myself. The issue with this particular one is it is that it is illegal to collect in US waters and is listed as an endangered species (at least in the state of FL). I'm hoping your take on it being OK because it's captive is correct.

Tom

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that it is illegal to collect Gorgonia ventalina. But it is not an endangered species. It is actually legal to sell when it is attached to aquacultured rock. So, I don't see a problem.

If you are in doubt and you want to be certain you can call the Office of Protected Resources at 301-427-8401.

Just checked - it's not on the list of proposed endangered species either.

More research revealed that it is not even on the Florida Threatened Species List.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tom@HaslettMI

Tom@HaslettMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that it is illegal to collect Gorgonia ventalina. But it is not an endangered species. It is actually legal to sell when it is attached to aquacultured rock. So, I don't see a problem.

If you are in doubt and you want to be certain you can call the Office of Protected Resources at 301-427-8401.

Just checked - it's not on the list of proposed endangered species either.

More research revealed that it is not even on the Florida Threatened Species List.

Nice. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

ReefHero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey tom! I don't believe there will be an issue as long as the coral is cultured in the USA..... The idea behind CITES and other related organizations is to protect the harvesting of highly endangered species from their natural habitat. By culturing and growing the corals in your own tank and then sharing with others is more than likely looked more highly upon. I would not worry..... Just make sure it is fragged and sold on a ceramic plug or disk.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back