Cyano bacteria!!!

Reef4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have had my tank running for about 2 year and recently had a algae out break and wanted to know if there are any new technigues any body had success taking out cyano bacteria

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Syphon it out, cut the amount of time on the lights, increase flow in the areas with the cyano, add micro bacteria..... Nothing new that i have heard of

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano for a couple months . After upgrading from CF to LED it all went away.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe all of the above. To many nutrients in tank slack off on overfeeding your fish. It will go away.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont stress, its part of life. It comes and goes. The last time I had it I found out my r.o. filters were the culprit.

OP
OP
R

Reef4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's because I be been feeding my coral nor I think I should feed like once every two weeks that might help and I'm gonna replace all the filters on my RO/DI unit

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would decrease the supplemental coral feeding, or stop it altogether. Also, if you don't already have one I would suggest a media reactor with some phosphate removing media.

OP
OP
R

Reef4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the media reactor by two little fishes does any body have any experience with that reactor

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to siphon it out, then increase the flow. Also make sure your bulbs are fresh old light bulbs lose spectrum and cause plenty of issues good luck. Cyano definitely is a pain but its manageable good luck

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about the media reactor by two little fishes does any body have any experience with that reactor

I have a TLF reactor and in my opinion they work great. The price is awesome too. With the TLF, a feed pump that produces around 300gph and some media your phosphate problems may go away or at least become easier to manage.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used a few different reactors and I strongly suggest a brs reactor, it is the easiest to change the media in. I promise you if you have a reactor that is a PIA to change media you will eventually start slacking with it. BRS reactor literally takes about two to three minutes to swap out. Just unscrew bottom, dump out water, remove media cartridge, dump out old media, clean sponges, add sponges and media (rinsing media), replace media cartridge, reinstall bottom. Sounds like alot but it isn't compared to some other reactors.

jreece11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two LFS reactors: one with Seachem Carbon Matrix, and the other with Seachem PhosBan. I recommend them. Looks like all the main points or reducing red slime have already been covered. Stay diligent in your daily siphoning for a week or two while applying good lights, flow, clean water, and reducing wastes and you'll get on top of it. Good luck!

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard another culprit to cyano is low ALK. Try raising your ALK. I am going to try as soon as I get home! :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back