first water change (in a 9-year old tank!!)

  • Thread starter Thread starter beaslbob
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Why would your tank crash? A water change allows you to rid the excess Nitrates, Phosphates from your tank and replenish your tank with clean saltwater with the essential elements needed to keep your tank going :)
 
FWIW and to those who may be unfamiliar with my tanks, I never change water. So this is the first water change in 9 years.
 
I doubt your tank will crash but you may possably lose some livestock. Animals get used to water even if it is bad water and sometimes get upset if you change it. As long as you didn't change all of your water at once, I don't think anything will happen.
 
I doubt your tank will crash but you may possably lose some livestock. Animals get used to water even if it is bad water and sometimes get upset if you change it. As long as you didn't change all of your water at once, I don't think anything will happen.

wow

Even Paul B answered.

I much appreciate that.

for those who don't know:

Paul, your tank had been running how many years? Something like 41 or so? And you change water 2-3 times per year or so?

I guess you fish have just aclimated to those 'nasty' conditions.
 
Last edited:
I think it is 43 years old and I change some water 4 or 5 times a year. :fear:
 
What is thy secret? Vodka?

no secret.

Can't speak for Paul B. He does that here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/reef-aquarium-discussion/55423-tank-birthday-40-years.html

For me the important thing is to balance out and stabilize tank operation so water changes are irrelevant and in fact can only degrade the system.

I do that with macro algaes and dosing the diy 2 part.

Of course water changes only result in:

value before water change=amount in replacement water+[(changes between water changes)/(fraction of water change)]

Assuming everything is constant with a constant change, the stuff is a linear measure, and sufficient water changes for been conducted so that the value before the water change is constant water change to water change.

So if something is building up a 1ppm/day, there are 30ppm in the replacement water and you conduct a 10% water change every 10 days you have:

before water change=[(1ppm/day*10days)/(1/10)]+30=130ppm

but by getting the rate of change down you can have 0ppm.

just my .02
 
Last edited:
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ReefMadScientist
What is thy secret? Vodka?



no secret.

Can't speak for Paul B. He does that here:

Tank birthday, 40 years

I don't dose Vodka, But I dose it to myself almost every night. That or Merlot. If somewhere in that many years long thread I said I dosed Vodka, I was either drinking to much of it or just used it as an experiment a couple of times.

Of course water changes only result in:

value before water change=amount in replacement water+[(changes between water changes)/(fraction of water change)]

Assuming everything is constant with a constant change, the stuff is a linear measure, and sufficient water changes for been conducted so that the value before the water change is constant water change to water change.

So if something is building up a 1ppm/day, there are 30ppm in the replacement water and you conduct a 10% water change every 10 days you have:

before water change=[(1ppm/day*10days)/(1/10)]+30=130ppm

but by getting the rate of change down you can have 0ppm.

just my .02

Beaslbob, the rest of your post, I have no idea what all that means.
 
Wow! Definitely some veterans here!

I'm familiar with both your tanks, and I've always wanted to be able to keep everything simple to no water changes. But of course I'm still doing the once a week change and don't even know where to begin to not! Lmbo
 
I don't dose Vodka, But I dose it to myself almost every night.
Awwwww that explains it.
Beaslbob, the rest of your post, I have no idea what all that means.

Nor do you have to. 43 years speaks for itself.

regardless of what this ole nerdy engineer has for equations.
 
Wow! Definitely some veterans here!

I'm familiar with both your tanks, and I've always wanted to be able to keep everything simple to no water changes. But of course I'm still doing the once a week change and don't even know where to begin to not! Lmbo

Understand completely.

and keep doing the water changes if you want.

But perhaps. Just perhaps. on the far outside chance. the water changes are not maintaing your tank as much as you think. It's all the other stuff you're doing that make the big difference.


Pass the vodka please.
 
I am a simple person with a simple tank. I just think simpler than most people and it seems to work out fine. I feel that seawater is very stable and will get along just fine as long as you don't mess with it. As soon as you start fiddling with it by testing every five minutes and adding kalk, or tweaking the pH, worrying about the Alk or ORP and any and all silly abbreviations that's when you have problems. Just leave the thing alone, feed some good food, not "high quality" dry food whatever that is, but some live food such as worms and you will be fine. I have had a fish tank every day of my life from about 1955 or so and so far, I have never, not even once had to change the pH. I wonder why.
I have no idea what my nitrates read and I don't want to know and neither do my fish and corals because as soon as I know, I will want to change them or lower them because an "expert" in Guantamamo, Guatal Canal, Guyana, Georgia, Ganamede or the Grand Canyon, will advise me that that is the way to go. If my fish has hemorids, cataracts, gall stones, lepracy, or a social disease someone will ask what my parameters are. I am American of Italian decent, born in Brooklyn, those are my parameters.
 
I am a simple person with a simple tank. I just think simpler than most people and it seems to work out fine. I feel that seawater is very stable and will get along just fine as long as you don't mess with it. As soon as you start fiddling with it by testing every five minutes and adding kalk, or tweaking the pH, worrying about the Alk or ORP and any and all silly abbreviations that's when you have problems. Just leave the thing alone, feed some good food, not "high quality" dry food whatever that is, but some live food such as worms and you will be fine. I have had a fish tank every day of my life from about 1955 or so and so far, I have never, not even once had to change the pH. I wonder why.
I have no idea what my nitrates read and I don't want to know and neither do my fish and corals because as soon as I know, I will want to change them or lower them because an "expert" in Guantamamo, Guatal Canal, Guyana, Georgia, Ganamede or the Grand Canyon, will advise me that that is the way to go. If my fish has hemorids, cataracts, gall stones, lepracy, or a social disease someone will ask what my parameters are. I am American of Italian decent, born in Brooklyn, those are my parameters.


+1

well I'm some kind of european from Iowa but otherwise agree.
 
no secret.

Of course water changes only result in:

value before water change=amount in replacement water+[(changes between water changes)/(fraction of water change)]

Assuming everything is constant with a constant change, the stuff is a linear measure, and sufficient water changes for been conducted so that the value before the water change is constant water change to water change.

So if something is building up a 1ppm/day, there are 30ppm in the replacement water and you conduct a 10% water change every 10 days you have:

before water change=[(1ppm/day*10days)/(1/10)]+30=130ppm

but by getting the rate of change down you can have 0ppm.

just my .02

So if something is building up at 1 ppm/day, there are 30ppm in the replacement water and you conduct a 100% water change every 10 days you have:

value before water change = 30 ppm +[(0)/(1)] ?
 
So if something is building up at 1 ppm/day, there are 30ppm in the replacement water and you conduct a 100% water change every 10 days you have:

value before water change = 30 ppm +[(0)/(1)] ?

no

its 30ppm +[(1*10)/(1/10)]=30+10/(1/10)=30+10*10=130.

The reason this is so is because in order to have the same before water values, the water change must precisley and completely remove all the buildup between changes.

In this case we have a 10ppm buildup between changes and are doing a 10% or 1/10 water change. That 1/10 must remove 10ppm built up so the tank has to start at 100ppm then go down to 90ppm after the change then back up to 100pm for the next change. the 30ppm is just added each change and with enough changes and no build up that is where the tank would wind up. So you compine the two for 130ppm

So when you hear a post gee I do weekly water changes and still have 70ppm nitrates. you can now get a rough idea of what is going on in the tank.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new