Joeogio's 125 and 40gb reef tank build

joeogio

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 17, 2013
Messages
145
Reaction score
1
Location
Bristol, TN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am new to this forum and want to do a nice writeup on my build. The system is already up and going and has been since September of 2012 the build is mostly complete and has been pretty successful. How im going to go about doing the writeup is to give a general overview of the system then continue with pictures and detailed aspects of each part of the system.
 
The overview: my system consist of a 125 gallon tank and a 40 gallon breeder both tanks are plumbed into one DIY sump that sits under the 125 and all of the electrical is under the 40gb. The 125 is strictly sps only while the 40gb is mixed reef. My goal with the 40gb is to get a blue carpet anemone and make it a clown and anemone tank.

(This is a old pic, there will be new pics so you can see the progress)

ForumRunner_20130617_123102.jpg
 
Wow! Very nice!


Chasing the Dream Giver, not the dream! Tonya
 
Looks great. I wish I had your canopy! Thanks a lot for coming to the Frag Swap!

Thanks! And yeah I really enjoy the canopy but it could be a little taller the splash guard over the leds is like 3 inches from the water. And thanks to all for hosting the swap
 
The sump: I built a sump 36"L 15"W 13"T from 1/4 inch acrylic my cuts weren't the breezy so I braced it heavily because I had some bubbles in the joints, part of my problem could have been because I used straight methylene chloride instead of weld-on which has some filters depending on which number you use, but anyways the sump is holding up great.

The first Chamber is where my three drain pipes dump which then overflows into the built in filter sock tray, then skimmer chamber and bubble trap, my skimmer is a reef octopus xs200 I also have a brs gfo reactor. He soon I'll be buying a reef dynamic bio pellet reactor.

Below are some pics of the sump and skimmer when they were new and now nearly a year later,

ForumRunner_20130618_093232.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_093246.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_093337.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_093643.jpg


everything could use a good cleaning
 
Lightning and electrical: on the 125g tank I built a diy led system which has 3 100w 20k multi-chip leds on 3 20" black anodized heat sinks with 3 pc fans I also have it all setup and wired to add 3 20w royal blue leds which I have yet to do. The heatsinks are from rapid led and the fans and leds and drivers are from ebay vendors I have had no trouble from the lights or drivers yet but I really need to add the blues soon I plan to do so in a couple of weeks.

Here are some pics of the light fixture it is suspended from a track under the hood so I can slide it back and forth and I also forgot to mention that the drivers are dimmable

ForumRunner_20130618_123010.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_122946.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_122845.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_122828.jpg



And here's some pics under the stand of the 40gb where all of my drivers and goodies are but it is extremely unorganized and has been that way since I moved the whole setup back in January



ForumRunner_20130618_123533.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_123555.jpg
 
Water movement: a reeflo dart pump returns the water from the tank up through 2 1/2" returns drilled in the 40gb and through 2 3/4" top mounted returns in the 125 it also feeds whatever reactors I want to run. For circulation in the 125 I have a second dart pump that is fed by a 3" bulkhead in the back of the 125 and returns around the top of the tank through 4 3/4" returns. the 40gb has a mp10. These pumps are pretty quiet and have served me well so far. Although I plan to add 2 mp40s to the 125 when I have the funds to create more random flow

ForumRunner_20130618_124813.jpg
 
Great tanks!
 
Livestock: in the 125 I have a sailfifln tang a yellow tang, a pair of engineer gobbles, diamond back gobbie, a pair if oscilaris clowns, and a big serpent starfish, and many sps corals.

In the 40gb I have a CUC from reef cleaners, a bicolor blenny, a sixline wrasse, a pair of oscilaris clowns im holding for a friend. A couple kinds of duncans, zoas, some pipe organ, a birdsnest colonie and a green leather.

Here are some up to date pics of the tanks and corals, I had a few of my sps get stn for some unknown reason but things seem to be improving now and im sure when I get the other leds added and the biopellet reactor going ill get some massive growth and colouration out of my sps

ForumRunner_20130618_131827.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131841.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131857.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131927.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131808.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131746.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131728.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131712.jpg




ForumRunner_20130618_131656.jpg
 
Maintenance: weekly I clean the socks, and the cup, and I do a 15g water change. But I skacked off on the water changes for a few weeks and I think that had something to do with the stn. I am currently dosing kalk about 1tsp per gallon of top off handled by my jbj ato. I do plan to get a stand alone dosing system to dose ca and alk after I upgrade my old reef keeper to a apex system. I also need to start testing more because I pretty much just play it by ear. I use to test more but I just kept getting the same results so I quit
 
Update: I just ordered 6 20w royal blue leds. The heatsinks are already drilled and tapped and wired up for the leds all I gotta do is hook the up. Im excited Ikniw they are going to make everything pop and hopefully they will help with the growth and color of my corals
 
Update: the leds I ordered from my favorite ebay seller came in


ForumRunner_20130703_065937.jpg


I got them all koohed up and boy its blue


ForumRunner_20130703_070119.jpg


Heres a pic of the tank with the whites and blues on the blues are dimmed at 30% and the 100w are dimmed about 50%
Ill take some cool pics with the blues way up soon but heres a teaser

ForumRunner_20130703_070544.jpg
 

Attachments

  • ForumRunner_20130703_070143.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130703_070143.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 248
Time for an update, the 40 gallon was growing some Un wanted algae. Took me a while to figure out what was going on but I think I found the culprit. I was doing my weekly water change and I was going to unscrew the lock lines and clean some of the nuisance algae off and I noticed there wasn't much flow coming out of the returns and turns out my lock line check valves were bad and restricting the flow a lot so I removed them and re installed the lock line.

I thought it was odd at first to see algae in the 40g when I've never had a problem with it before in that tank and the 125g was looking fine. But I'm glad I finally figured out what it was
 
Last edited:
its been a while, im going to do a update of my build and then tell you about how i almost cut my thumb off while building a frag tank..
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new