Zoanthids Falling off Plugs

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened twice to me in the last week. I'll pick up a frag plug and they'll literally just fall off. They arnt connected to eachother anymore, and are individual polyps. Not melting. Healthy, and opened up before I picked the plug up. I'll glue them back down, and haven't had a problem since. Are they trying to migrate arohnd the tank such as mushrooms do?

I'm using Loc-Tite super glue gel.

Thanks!

image.jpg

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened twice to me in the last week. I'll pick up a frag plug and they'll literally just fall off. They arnt connected to eachother anymore, and are individual polyps. Not melting. Healthy, and opened up before I picked the plug up. I'll glue them back down, and haven't had a problem since. Are they trying to migrate arohnd the tank such as mushrooms do?

I'm using Loc-Tite super glue gel.

Thanks!

image.jpg

Are you gluing the Zoanthid Itself onto the Plug?

Or are you gluing a piece of rock or another plug to the new plug?

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should frag or buy them with a piece of original disk.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you gluing the Zoanthid Itself onto the Plug?

Or are you gluing a piece of rock or another plug to the new plug?

actually, that's a great question! one of the two I did not frag myself, but the polyps were
glued directly on without a rock.

also, the ones I glued myself were not on a peice
of rock, as they were easy to just rip off the mother colony.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely will try to do this in the future. but my question is, what is causing this?

Most Likely Yes.

Always try to Glue Something Hard onto the new Plug.

I do not know for sure if Zoanthids do this or not but other Softies like Mushrooms will Slime up so they can detach from the Glue and Float Away in the Flow.

That is why with Mushrooms people put them on Crushed Coral and wait a week or two. Then they Glue the Crushed Coral that is already attached to the Mushroom to the Plug. Then the Mushroom is happy and should not try to detach from the Plug (unless something else is bothering them like too much light or too much flow.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's do not like Super Glue. You must use very very little (1 tiny drop smoothed out so its more like a film) and only allow the very bottom of the base to touch it. If the glue touches any other part, they bail.

Last edited:

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe the glue sticks to the slime
from stress. Over short time with med to strong flow it would slide out.

QUOTE=that Reef Guy;2134148]Most Likely Yes.

I do not know for sure if Zoanthids do this or not but other Softies like Mushrooms will Slime up so they can detach from the Glue and Float Away in the Flow.

That is why with Mushrooms people put them on Crushed Coral and wait a week or two. Then they Glue the Crushed Coral that is already attached to the Mushroom to the Plug. Then the Mushroom is happy and should not try to detach from the Plug (unless something else is bothering them like too much light or too much flow.[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most Likely Yes.

That is why with Mushrooms people put them on Crushed Coral and wait a week or two. Then they Glue the Crushed Coral that is already attached to the Mushroom to the Plug. Then the Mushroom is happy and should not try to detach from the Plug (unless something else is bothering them like too much light or too much flow.

yeah, I wasn't sure if zoanthids were like mushrooms in that way!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa's do not like Super Glue. You must use very very little (1 tiny drop smoothed out so its more like a film) and only allow the very bottom of the base to touch it. If the glue touches any other part, they bail.

awesome, I'll keep that in mind. thanks!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! It's definitely something in my tank! I just had this happen again to a couple polyps that have been attached to a rock for over a year!! What is going on?!?! same thing, they fell off individually. So, are they trying to move around like mushrooms? or what? this is the third frag that this has happened too, and this one is my favorite! (see my avatar).

In addition, some others are having some folded over skirts. I was hoping that they just need to be moved up or down in the tank (for different light) as all other corals and more than half of the zoanthids are doing just fine.

I test my water once a week, and here are the general parameters. its an 8 gal with lps, zoas, couple softies, a nem, and one monti.

salinity: 1.025 (tank has an ATO, so this stays dead on)
KH: 6-7 (usually have to dose, this stays lower)
nitrates: always >2 (this tank gets a water change twice a week!)
phosphates: .03-.25 (ugh, hence the water changes, and bag of phosgaurd! constantly battling this)
calcium: 380-420
temp: 78

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

the hornets make it look like its a flow issue, but the water movement goes in the exact opposite direction that they are folded over in.

as i said, some of the zoanthids are completely fine and happy! (the fruit loops, both green ones, rastas, and the purple ones at the top) the hornets, orange skirted closed ones, and the pink/purple large ones are the frags that are having issues.

i love my zoanthids! please help!

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! It's definitely something in my tank! I just had this happen again to a couple polyps that have been attached to a rock for over a year!! What is going on?!?! same thing, they fell off individually. So, are they trying to move around like mushrooms? or what? this is the third frag that this has happened too, and this one is my favorite! (see my avatar).

In addition, some others are having some folded over skirts. I was hoping that they just need to be moved up or down in the tank (for different light) as all other corals and more than half of the zoanthids are doing just fine.

I test my water once a week, and here are the general parameters. its an 8 gal with lps, zoas, couple softies, a nem, and one monti.

salinity: 1.025 (tank has an ATO, so this stays dead on)
KH: 6-7 (usually have to dose, this stays lower)
nitrates: always >2 (this tank gets a water change twice a week!)
phosphates: .03-.25 (ugh, hence the water changes, and bag of phosgaurd! constantly battling this)
calcium: 380-420
temp: 78

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

the hornets make it look like its a flow issue, but the water movement goes in the exact opposite direction that they are folded over in.

as i said, some of the zoanthids are completely fine and happy! (the fruit loops, both green ones, rastas, and the purple ones at the top) the hornets, orange skirted closed ones, and the pink/purple large ones are the frags that are having issues.

i love my zoanthids! please help!

Your Alkalinity is really Low.

I had Low Alkalinity like that too.

They didn't fall off the Plug but I raised it to 10.5 and started dosing Reef Roids twice a week and they open up more and reproduce much much faster than before.

I guess that doesn't answer your question but I am glad I tried those two tips.

But perhaps it could be why they detach?

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the long skirts on many of them I'm going to say too much flow.

AJ Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks from your pics, that you have an anemone somewhat close to your affected polyps. Perhaps the anemone is expanding or otherwise stinging your zoas?
Also watch the frogspawn for sweeper tentacles.

Last edited:

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess its more of a water quality issue. +1 to your alk being low and your phosphates pretty high. Although strong flow might cause the skirts to get longer I don't think that's your problem.

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks from your pics, that you have an anemone somewhat close to your affected polyps. Perhaps the anemone is expanding or otherwise stinging your zoas?
Also watch the frogspawn for sweeper tentacles.

thanks I'll make sure I watch them both!

OP
OP
rosieosieee

rosieosieee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess its more of a water quality issue. +1 to your alk being low and your phosphates pretty high. Although strong flow might cause the skirts to get longer I don't think that's your problem.

sweet thanks! Ive been dosing the alk buffer everyday so I'll test soon to see if it comes up.

I'm not sure how else to lower my phosphates with my frequent water changes and phosgaurd, there's also a giant ball of cheato in the back fuge too.

AJ Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I'll make sure I watch them both!

I wouldn't worry too much about those phosphate levels for your zoas.

What are you using for alk buffer?

You might try using a glue specifically made for gluing corals. They tend to have lower curing temps which makes corals happy.

Has anything changed in the tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back